[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody else here have experience being the odd one out in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: images (1).jpg (49KB, 439x335px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
49KB, 439x335px
Anybody else here have experience being the odd one out in the immediate family circle? It's not even about being a social outcast or a 'black sheep'. I have two sisters, one older one younger, who are essentially twins in looks and interests. Have a mother who follows them like they're the guiding light and wants to be involved in their interests. I feel like a family friend with how different I am to them. So naturally I am not as close to them as they are to each other. Seeing as they they are the only family I have apart from distant cousins overseas, it makes me a little sad at times that I am not close to them. It's the kind of thing that'll have me regrettable when I'm older perhaps. Just seeing if anyone else has experience with this shitty phenomenon. How do you deal with it? Does it bother you?
>>
I'm an only child, but I know a group of siblings, 1 boy and 3 girls. The eldest girl was never as close to her younger 3 siblings. The younger 3 were always very close and very similar in personality. Even today, they're in their mid 20s to mid 30s, the eldest one is still not close. She lives alone on the east coast while the younger 3 live together in one house on the West coast. They seem to have a clique and don't give a thought to the eldest, I believe, and don't really seem to put great effort in including her.

I'm not in their family and don't know how they really feel, but it probably sucks for eldest.
>>
>>17646023
I am prepared to bet that at their darker moments each of your sisters thinks she is the odd one out and mother prefers you.

This is ordinary family dynamics.
>>
>>17646116
I don't think so. When siblings have cliques, they know whose in the clique. The favored child or children is also obvious. No one seriously thinks, "oh maybe I'm secretly in my own special clique and I'm the favorite:3"
>>
>>17646121
This is correct. It's glaringly blatant to all of them (including people who know us) that I don't get along with them as well as they do with each other. Even when my mother makes a genuine effort it's difficult because our interests are so varied. We can only talk about books and even then our tastes are too wide; I'm too critical, she's too naive. Just feels like you're having a bad conversation at a party but this is my own mother. Don't even get me started on my sisters. I don't even feel like a sister when it's the three of us together.

>>17646110
I simultaneously hope and despair for that future. But I feel for that sister and makes me sad to think about whether she's upset by her circumstances too. Eldest have it tough but I think every role has it tough, even youngest sometimes (even though they're 'the baby').
>>
>>17646155
The eldest is just too different in temperament and personality than her siblings, and to an extent, to her parents. Her siblings are boisterous, loud, prone to cussing, gossipy, very social, enjoy cooking and eating, active in their religious community, and generally very extroverted. Eldest is more serious, more academic, concentrated in her profession, and more quiet. They just were never close and never will be. Thus, she has to live alone while younger siblings get to live in their big happy house, together in their clique.

I don't know, maybe she is thinking, good riddance of those loud rude people.
>>
>>17646172
She sounds like she could well be thinking that. Hopefully she is and is enjoying her separation from the family. They sound intolerable to be honest. I wish I had that attitude to just part ways with them but I'm quite empathetic and whenever there's hope of a connection (we have a nice talk or decide to go somewhere together) I stick around. It ultimately leads to jack shit
>>
>>17646220
> I stick around. It ultimately leads to jack shit

;_;
I'm sorry.

Maybe you could make your own family, ie get a girlfriend or wife? That way you won't have to rely on your sisters
>>
I'm good friends with two brothers age 19 and 20, and they have a younger brother who is like 9. The two older bros are basically joined at the hip and live together and go to school and work a lot of the same jobs together. Obviously they're busy at this age so they can't chill with the younger brother so he is essentially an only child.
>>
That age gap must be difficult. It wouldn't even seem like you have brothers, like you said. The fact that they're stuck by the hip must make it all the worse.
>>
>>17646226
I was in a three year relationship that fell flat so I am slowly trying to find another gf. I'm now looking for new people in my life as those I am surrounded by aren't the very best. It just sucks that I will always be, well, a sucker for a chance to be part of the family because I drop everything for it. It feels like no matter how far I go I would go crawling back for that one chance. Sucks.
>>
>>17646259
Yes, I recommend you find new and better friends. no point in always getting burned by your family
>>
>>17646275
True. May as well get burned by people I can sleep with first.
>>
>>17646023
I know the feeling, anon. Sorta.

>Hispanic family, very tight-knit, particularly with the extended family on my mother's side
>most siblingsand cousins are girls, often younger than me
>because of the magic of genes, I'm totally white, like my father's father side of the family, which can trace the ancestry back to Europe. Rest of the family just looks plain hispanic.
>born and raised in the US, absolutely American in behavior, education, conversational style, etc. Stands out when compared to the rest of the family (both immediate and extended), which mostly speaks Spanish and is vastly Latino in character/preferences
>also the one who goes to do crazy things (spent a summer internship at a think tank doing vague military research I don't like to talk about with them, took up a job abroad in Eastern Europe where no one in the family has ever ever been before, etc)
>both physically (by an ocean) and culturally separated from the rest of the family, generally regarded as the oddball whom they sometimes joke is "the CIA cousin"

You just learn to live with standing out. It kinda sucks, but at the same time, you're sorta free from any pressure to conform or the like.

My sole saving grace is that I'm a super conservative religious type, which plays really well with the family matriarch who is just like that. She often bemoans how kids these days are badly behaved and do stupid things (person she has in mind: that one cousin got knocked up). I come out the favored grandchild and am always thought of/invited to things. Which is important when you realize you're dealing with a woman who will literally blacklist her own daughter from coming to family gatherings because she divorced her husband in a manner the mother disapproved of.
>>
My dad and my younger brother are both musicians, and my mom is a phenomenal artist.

I, uh, lift weights good.
>>
My family is black, mostly from Louisiana and Mississippi, but even then, among my immediate family and all the cousins I've grown up with, I'm the only one who didn't finish college or go career military.

I didn't really start dating until I was 20 and got married later than all my bRotherham and cousins. I married a white woman and we decided ahead of time not to have kids while everyone else did. Were also non Christian. We're very much the nontraditional ones in the family.

That said, we get along well with the folks. They love that we do all kinds of "weird stuff" (my family's words) like eat sushi and Indian food, drink local craft beer, kayak, smoke hookah, and listen to world music, and have kinky sex. Shit that wouldn't surprise most people but they consider avant garde.

Big family vacations with them are always fun. We plan the itenerary, investigate/explain stuff they have questions about, take them to non touristy places, and basically act as guides.

When they go on vacation without us, we get constant streams of texts with pictures asking "what is this?" Or "why are they doing that?"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.