[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I understand that with trends and whatnot that people will follow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1471265602018.gif (2MB, 540x432px) Image search: [Google]
1471265602018.gif
2MB, 540x432px
I understand that with trends and whatnot that people will follow what is currently "in", but.. does that account for the recent (last year or two) upcoming and re-defining of the word "literally"?

I am 24 years old. If I speak to someone my age or around my age (think 20 - 27) I can NOT have the conversation without them saying the word up to 10 times in a single conversation. I'm sure you all know what I mean. It gets under my skin and the improper usage of the word "literally" literally bothers me :^)

>I mean I literally, like literally, did this thing and it was hilarious. He literally did this and then I did this and blah blah blah

If I speak to a young adult and they use the word more than twice I will instantly disregard the full conversation as if I was talking to a child. To me, their opinions are now invalid and worthless because I feel as if they will follow trends and aren't able to see a bigger picture. They are sheep who mindlessly follow others.

Am I wrong to think this way? That those people (sorry adv but that includes a lot of you) are childish and have no understanding of the traditional meaning of the word? Am I wrong to be bothered by it?

Let's discuss.
>>
>>17639909
It's nothing new. It's been a problem for literally (and I do mean literally) decades. Somehow people began to use the word to mean "really" and the meme spread like the ass cheeks in your photo.

It is still not accepted by serious users of the language (teachers, authors, editors, journalists) but it just won't die.

Keep up the good fight. Personally I'm still obsessing over ITS and IT'S.
>>
>>17639909
I like gratuituously using the word "literally". I understand the meaning of the word but I miss use it for comedic purpose or just to stress something because fuck whoever has a problem with it. I have depression and other first world problems so I sometimes just pick words that make no sense like "literally" for my own amusement.
To be honest with you I never thought "literally" would become a meme though.

Having said that, I'm not a native English speaker but I myself have a huge issue with other common errors like "then/than" and "women/woman". I don't mind "your/you're" for some reason but the others fuck my brain.

However I assume people use "literally" as a meme rather than missusing it because they don't know what it means, but I can be wrong.
>>
People who complain about literally are the most annoying

"literally", as opposed to "figuratively", is used to ironically preempt hyperbole, there's nothing wrong with it because it's a useful rhetorical device
just because some stupid bitch says it and doesn't realize what shes doing doesn't mean she isnt doing it
>>
>>17639909
There is literally nothing wrong in speak the word literally.
Also I literally want to fuck that ass. Like, literally.
:^)
>>
>>17639909
>If I speak to a young adult and they use the word more than twice I will instantly disregard the full conversation as if I was talking to a child. To me, their opinions are now invalid and worthless because I feel as if they will follow trends and aren't able to see a bigger picture. They are sheep who mindlessly follow others.
I think you're missing out on a lot of people who are just speaking the way their friends speak. This is how our language is acquired and how it evolves, anon, especially dumb shit like this. We used to say "bitchin" in the 80s, for example. It's not a conscious thing.

If you're going to disregard an entire group of people based on what amounts to a verbal throat clearing, then I think you're being awfully closed minded and you've got a lot of growing up to do.
>>
>>17639909
You're wrong. It's the same as looking down on people for swearing.
>>
Kind of pretentious and arrogant, but I see where you're coming from. Shit like that bothers me too, like when people misuse apostrophes or type run-on sentences.

What's ironic is you're implying their stupidity bothers you, but it's often the stupid people who're bothered by such mundane things.
>>
Source?
>>
>>17639909

well at least you're open minded. I literally believe you have no tiny little flaws like this that would make you a hypocrite. they're all so dumb and you are one of the elite.

all this from a man who posted a gif of a woman's butt. you're so much better then us

dont get me wrong it frustrates me, but get off your high horse. just because someone says 'literally' (or worse, 'literately' like one of my friends say) doesn't mean they're worth disregarding entirely.

you are not special.
>>
>>17640515
The content of what they're saying should literally matter more.
>>
>>17640563

sure, and hes saying that hes an asshole who considers people childish for using a word too much or out of place.

meanwhile hes nowhere near ivy league status himself and had to run a spell check on his post to make sure no one could call him out on hypocrisy.

OP has made himself the dumbest of the smart people. anyone below him is suddenly not worth talking to. he believes himself to be the cut off point of superiority simply because he is himself.

an ironic twist on ego.
>>
>>17639909
to be clear, as long as the things they're describing actually happened, they aren't using the word incorrectly. It's not like they're describing something that figuratively happened. your issue is with how often they use the word, not whether it is or isn't the correct word.
>>
File: fuckin cunt.jpg (26KB, 814x157px)
fuckin cunt.jpg
26KB, 814x157px
:^)

Language mutates constantly you square.
>>
>>17640611
And its not just language either, it's inflection, regional artifacts like vocal fry and uptalking, and even the kinds of grammar people use. We naturally speak the way we're best understood.
>>
Wait until everyone starts saying unironically then we are in for it.
>>
>language changes over time! How dare it!

Go read a book from 60 years ago and see how differently people talked. It happens, not sure what to tell you.
>>
>>17640504
pretty much this

I agree it can get pretty annoying, but I've found that if I look past little things like that I can sometimes find a person I enjoy being around.

People usually think of people that get upset over things like this as the worst kind of smart people: they can think critically, are self aware, and choose to waste those things on the flaws of others who aren't necessarily able to control them.
>>
>>17640818
>Go read a book from 60 years ago and see how differently people talked. It happens, not sure what to tell you.
Happen to read the 12 step AA book one time. It seemed almost foreign in ways. GF drags me to old book stores. Kinda cool the stuff you find.
>>
File: received_10210336479838971.jpg (10KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
received_10210336479838971.jpg
10KB, 320x480px
OP here.

I've read all comments and taken every suggestion or idea into consideration.

Language is ever changing and evolving; I understand that completely. I feel that certain words or phrases such as the overuse or misuse of the word literally is just a trend. A popular filler word similar to saying "like" that people throw in to a sentence which detracts from the sentence in whole.

>I literally shit my pants laughing
I shit my pants laughing

>I literally just got back from the store
I just got back from the store

It's unnecessary. It's a ridiculous trend that will die out eventually so why participate? Is it because everybody else does it?

Literally why even talk like this? Ugh grow up.
>>
>>17639909
I literally masturbated profusely while looking at that gif.

I am literally daydreaming on this ass and how it would truly feel.

Literally.
>>
>>17641387

I've got to say, I'd LITERALLY rather listen to someone use the word literally in a sentence 10 times then listen to you harp on and on about this pointless bullshit.

You can say "grow up" all you want but you're the one on the internet complaining about people using a word you don't like.
>>
>>17640036
>I understand the meaning of the word but I miss use it for comedic purpose
Basically this. I also use it sometimes when telling stories.
>>
File: 1455322417789.gif (2MB, 245x281px) Image search: [Google]
1455322417789.gif
2MB, 245x281px
>>17641387

Superiority complexes are more irritating than people who participate in cultural language quirks.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.