[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, so here's the deal. I was homeschooled my entire life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: aaaaaAAAAAAAAA.gif (3MB, 492x283px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaAAAAAAAAA.gif
3MB, 492x283px
Ok, so here's the deal. I was homeschooled my entire life an never finished it. I'm 19, I've never held a real job. I have no idea where to even start looking. I'm not super picky, I just want any job that has a wage that is a positive number. Besides prostitution. Where the fuck do I even start?

I've never done anything more complicated than show up for school the couple years that I convinced my parents to send me to school before I dropped out.

I'm considering suicide as a pretty serious alternative because my parent's have given me a 2 year deadline to start working and eventually fuck off.
>>
Please help me guys I need money
>>
>>17638738
What country?
>>
Here were my first jobs out of high school:

>Elections/Poll Officer
+ No Experience Needed
+$10/hr
+Super Easy work
+Classy, educated people
- Pretty boring

>Chick-fil-a
+No Experience Needed
+Excellent bosses and coworkers
+Free food
~$8/hr
- Hard, physical Work
- Inconsistent schedule
-Very messy

>Publix Supermarket
+No Experience Needed
+Good people and company
+$9.50/hr
- hard, physical work

And finally

>Best Buy Electronics Store
+I love electronics and entertainment
+Straight-forward work
+$9.50/hr
~Some customer service experience needed
~ Okay coworkers and bosses
- forced to work Black Friday. Almost died.

Look into places like that. You'r bound to find something.

Or go to college. Your call.

Just don't kill yourself. That shouldn't even be on the table at this point.
>>
>>17638738
Requirements for a job in McDonalds or any other fast food.

1. Show up.
2. Fill out application. Spell your name mainly right.
3. Be hired.
>>
File: tumblr_n9sm9a2Znv1ttzn7oo1_250.gif (189KB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9sm9a2Znv1ttzn7oo1_250.gif
189KB, 250x233px
Don't sweat about pal! It sounds all scary at first but you don't have to have experience for most entry jobs like retail or fast food, though I would advise avoiding fast food as a first, so go for retail. I used to go on Indeed.com to look for jobs in my area or at least a town over. We all have to start somewhere and I'm sure they'll understand that. Also try going to plazas near you and just go in and ask if they are hiring/ if there is a hiring manager that you can talk to. Start part-time first so you won't be as overwhelmed and you can see what working is like.

I know socializing will probably be scary but just smile. be friendly, and listen to the customer. If you are having trouble helping the customer like finding a certain product I always said "I'm sorry this is my first week working here, but I'll be happy to ask my coworker where you can find it." sometimes with working in a big retail store you get to wear radios that you can contact your coworkers with and you can ask them, or if you see one of your coworkers near by and not busy ask and follow them when they are showing the customer where the product is so you too can know where it is for future reference. After a week of working at a new place I like to bring in brownies or cookies to show my appreciation for my coworkers having the patience to train me; now you don't have to do this, but I like to do it to break the ice and show the coworkers who feel intimated by me that I am no harm. You will always get nasty coworkers, but all you can do is shake it off because all of you are there for one thing and it is a paycheck. If a coworker is saying shit behind your back, do not go to the manager, just ignore it. You don't want to seem like a problematic employee to your manager. All in all it's not that scary once you actually do it. Don't be afraid about them expecting you knowing what to do immediately, they will train you and walk you through it. We all have to start somewhere, right?
>>
>>17638738
I hear you, OP.

I got kicked out when I was 20 pretty abruptly. I was really depressed, and my mother got pissed one night and just kicked me out. Girlfriend's mother was kind enough to take me in, and I ended up getting a job for about a year after that. Ended up getting fired because management was pissing me off, and the nature of the work was just tedious and an environment difficult to not make mistakes in.

What was that job? A fucking gas jockie.
Sounds peasy, right? How the fuck could you have trouble with that? Well, it was run by a native reserve, and of course we got hounded for every little thing. Was never even properly trained or oriented, it was just, "Get out there, and don't make mistakes." So, it took about 6 months before I actually learned everything that I needed to know. Eventually, I became one of the most driven employees there, but there's just so much that's beyond your control in that type of job. The number of times I had to run all of the pumps myself, on top of recording all the vehicle information, watching for overflows because they were the shittiest vehicles ever, bitchy customers, putting the wrong type of fuel in... It just made me feel like shit. Management couldn't even get into their own fucking cameras, and I constantly got attitude from the police whenever I had to give them a statement despite the fact that I had already gone up and above what most people would've done by recording the vehicle make, model, and plate of every vehicle that came through- which was roughly 200 per pump per day, so 1,000 cars if I had to work alone. Not only that, but doing it in -60c weather... What a shit job. Anyways, after all that, I wasn't even given a record of employment, so basically as far as any future employers are concerned, I've never had a job.

So, no fucking confidence what so ever. I get what people consider to be a piss easy job, and I fuck it up. Now I'm back at square one with even less confidence than before.
>>
A two year dead line is a lot of time, not sure what you're so worried about. You can get your GED in that time and start applying anywhere a diploma is necessary as well.
>>
Thanks guys.
>>
>>17639403
You ended up with a lot of assholes.
>>
>>17639245
Do I need a resume?
>>
>>17638738
My first jobs when I dropped out and never pursued education

>McDonalds
Started over minimum wage, and was making 9/hr before a year was over

>Security Guard
Shit job, shit pay. Wouldn't recommend, looks decent on applications

>Call center
Good pay, great social skills, it's like highschool 2.0. Easy to get laid. Dealing with clients and bosses is a nightmare in that setting though.

>Gas station clerk
This one I highly reccommend. I moved up fast, and manage my own store now making middle class money.
>>
>>17640365
Thanks, I'm going to try to apply for mcdonalds later today. I just have to walk in and talk to the manager, right?
>>
whoa anon, I just started developing a character this week that is 19 and he has been homeschooled his whole life. But the thing is he has been completely secluded, no technology, lives with his grandpa who has raised him away from everyone else. Then his Grandpa dies and when this is found out, the kid gets setup to be able to go to a university.
>>
>>17640384
I went full autist and applied online.
>>
File: 1462738862091.jpg (14KB, 179x189px) Image search: [Google]
1462738862091.jpg
14KB, 179x189px
>>17640543
I just went in and they told me to fill out an online application form.

BUT I also went to my local frozen yogurt place which was obviously incredibly understaffed, and was able to get an interview with the manager after filling out an application form.

>she asked if I watched anime
>I said yes
I hope I didn't just blow my chances of getting hired.
>>
>>17640782
To be honest, I'd prefer to hire an anime kid than some pop culture junky.

Anime kids are usually well mannered, even if they're awkward. You don't have to worry about them stealing from you, they're too timid, and if they did do it, it'd be something on the miniscule side that probably wouldn't be considered stealing anyway.
>>
>>17640782
haha OP you sound like your problem is resolved, so i don't mind joking about it; how did anime come up? sounds like a chill boss if she asked outright. here's some personal info to help you

worked as grocery store bagger:
>first day they train me as cashier by accident
>was reassigned to cashier immediately
>made $7.50/hr, 6.5hr shifts 5 times a week
>night shift boss normally very chill and the shift is slow, boring, but not as much work
>fri/sat/sun aren't as bad as you'd think
>morning shifts are the absolute worst, waking up at 7 AND the store is dead
>all of my bosses liked me except one, but she did scheduling, so i was fucked. make sure scheduler likes you
>working in shopping mall or centre is best, other businesses give discounts
>after a month you will be a veteran employee basically, minimum wage jobs are placeholder for 99% of people
>no raises
>they will schedule u for less than 30hr/wk to avoid giving you healthcare
>work sundays for extra dough

maybe this is all obvious but if there's a chance it's not it's worth taking to help u
>>
>>17640824
>>17640956
She just outright asked if I watched anime. She's like 50 or 60 so I was a bit surprised.

She seems pretty chill, she's a grandmother so I don't think I can expect too much trouble getting along with her.

Yeah, actually specified that I was available on fridays/saturdays/sundays. I'm probably going to have to work morning shifts, assuming she actually hires me which I think she will, which sucks but hey I can go to sleep/wake up at any time because I have no prior commitments and my internal clock or whatever shifts at my will. And it's money so I won't complain.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.