[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a child and a teen, i used to get lost in a book. I was hooked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0942.jpg (31KB, 236x292px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0942.jpg
31KB, 236x292px
As a child and a teen, i used to get lost in a book. I was hooked from the first word on and would be totally immersed in the story.
I want that again. How is this even called? How do i do it again? It was pure bliss...
>>
>>17634843
There's no name for it, though I think Stephen King once called it the "I Gotta" effect. As in: I've been thinking about having sex all day, my wife just went up to bed, she'll be asleep by the time I finish this chapter, but I Gotta find out what happens next.

You just need to find a good book, dude. What kinds of books do you like? What did you like as a teen?
>>
If you want to be immersed and hooked on a story, try a popular fantasy series like Name of the Wind. Lord of the Rings too if you've never read that.
>>
>>17634850
Yes, exactly. I was in another world when reading.
I've read anything i got my hands on. But my most intense reads must have been thrillers. I stopped reading them though and changed to drama and fantasy. The last thing that REALLY got me hooked have been the asoiaf books. I've read one of the books in one night. In the bathtube... Couldn't even stop to get out of the water.
Other than that, i really like authors like irving. I noticed that i like books that seem like they could really happen. As in, the protagonists aren't "perfect". They are humans who could actually exist. With flaws and all. The only book i have ever read twice was the pigeon by süskind. I'd like to find more books with good character developemen.
>>
>>17634869
I tried them both but i find the language exhausting. I'm not a fan of extensive descriptions of landscapes. I'm more interested in the interpersonal dynamics and how an author can build a character.
Good suggestions though! Thanks anon
>>
>>17634869
>Name of the Wind
Oof. I'll give you this: that book completely hooked me. For a piece of escapist literature that you can get lost in, that's about as good as it gets, for a fantasy fan, anyway.

Until about two minutes after you put the book down and you realize how much you want to strangle the protagonist and then the shame sets in.
>>
>>17634878
Sounds good. Maybe i need tp gove it another try. I love when a book gets you all worked up. That's a sign that it's "working".
>>
>>17634874
Try Dune. The descriptions aren't that common, and they're always interesting. It's not nearly as complicated as it appears at first glance, also.
>>
>>17634870
I'm a huge ASOIAF fan, so I can't believe I'm having this much trouble thinking of books that scratch that same itch, but I kinda am. I just googled "books like game of thrones" and a couple people recommended the Acacia trilogy by David Anthony Durham, for a lot of the same reasons (morally complex characters, no hard line between the 'heroes' and 'villains') -- I haven't read it myself but based on that description I might end up checking it out myself. I've read so fucking much fantasy but it's hard to recommend a series without really knowing your tastes.

If you're into sci-fi at all, the Culture series by Iain M. Banks has moral ambiguity out the fucking wazoo. It's a little hard on new readers, though, he came up with a pretty huge and complicated setting and he doesn't really ease you into it so much as throw you in (though on the plus side this means you don't necessarily have to start with the first book in the series). If you check them out, start with Consider Phlebas (if you're into action/space opera) or Player of Games (if you're into dystopias).

I'll post more suggestions if I think of any. I've never been great at recommending books to people even though I can go on about them for hours.
>>
>>17634903
Really appreciate your recommendations. I will download some excerpts and see if they stir something.

I guess once you found something that really gets to you, you got a new level of expectations for a new book. I also think that, the more you read, the more specific your taste becomes. Which makes it almost impossible to find other stuff you can enjoy as much.

I noticed that i love a writer that can write a book without bloomy language. One that gets to the point. That doesn't have to rely on descriptions because his plot is thick enough.
I love it when they aren't trying to be political correct or can talk about a topic without tiptoeing around it. That's why i like irving and bukowski.
I love when you can feel that the person writing this had fun and his main hoal wasn't to make a lot of money with this book.
I have very specific wants and am picky as fuck. But i won't give up.

Cheers to a fellow book lover!
>>
>>17634843

I find I still do - sometimes & to a certain point.
I think it's a kind of "I just got to find out what happens next" effect that keeps me going 'till I'm done.
And then I'm like: "Wtf? 3 AM already?"

Happens a lot in some games I like, too.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.