[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I do? Be me >currently a senior in high school.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (720KB, 1344x1128px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
720KB, 1344x1128px
What should I do?
Be me
>currently a senior in high school.
>planning to get a 4 year degree at a Texan college in either electrical engineering or computer engineering (I can't decide which degree is better).
> Plan after college is to enter the Air Force as an officer by doing Air Force ROTC for the four years that I'm getting my degree.
>got a 69 on my ASVAB
Am I on the correct path, and if not what are some of the other options/alternative paths that YOU would recommend (has to include joining or being a part of the military)? Should I join a different branch? Get a different degree? All things I desperately need to know
>>
I'm in AF ROTC as well so I'm kind of biased, but I heard pilots slots are opening because most pilots are retiring. So if you want to be a pilot now's the time.

Though make sure you're prepared for life if you don't become an officer. You might not like military life or you might get kicked out of ROTC. I'm not saying you will, just that you probably need to consider it.

Also you should probably ask yourself if you'd like to work the rest of your life as an electrical engineer/computer engineer. Don't pick degrees because they're trendy. They'll probably give you decent salaries, but if you don't enjoy it then you shouldn't do it. It sounds cliche/naive, but the truth is that a large portion of your life will be dedicated to this job.

I know a bunch of engineer majors who picked engineering as their choice because of the money, which is more than a reasonable motive really, but they end up hating the work/math. I also know a bunch of engineers who find designing and building their own creations very rewarding, and some engineers who just deal with it to get a good living.

At the end of the day just be honest with yourself on who you are and what you want to do. Though be reasonable. Don't take a vow of poverty and become a freelance writer or major in woman's studies. Ideally try to build off your hobbies, and balance your interest with the viability of making a living off of those interests.
>>
>>17632641
Go guard, get your schooling paid for, get the degree then leave the AF at the end of the 6 years.

If you go AFROTC you will get a similar free ride, go yay I'm an officer then get stuck in the AF for 4 years while the skills from your degree melt as you end up with two people inbetween you and actually making decisions and two people inbetween you and actually doing stuff.

Also would recommend EE or CS. CE seems to be niche.
>>
You've let the army talk you into thinking their path is the best path you could be taking with your life. Don't fall for it. When I was in highschool the recruiters did the same thing to me. They painted this picture of how good being in the army was and because I really wasn't looking into any other option at the time the army looked like the best. That's how they get you.

Take a good month or two or even longer to research other careers and things you could be going to college for instead. You will probably find a career that is significantly more rewarding and better for your life than being in the army. The instant you find that new career you won't want to be in the army at all.

Every friend and person I know who bought into the army ended up being unhappy when they joined. It is not the life you'll probably end up enjoying.
>>
>>17632708
>>17632895
>>17632960
Thank you all for your advice, anons!
>>
>>17632960
Would you recommend not doing military at all? A friend of mine recommended going reserves instead of active duty
>>
>>17632708
Incredibly useful advice. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to become a pilot because of poor eyesight. I've taken two engineering classes so far (architecture and engineering design) both of which I enjoyed. It's something I'll have to ponder over for the next few months as I finish my applications. As of now, my main plan is armed forces, mainly because it seems reasonable. I really only plan to do the first 4-6 mandatory years of military--I don't want to spend my entire life doing it-- so that I have some job experience along with my degree. My main goal is really to just not spend the rest of my life working blue collar. It's the exact reason why I don't want to just enlist.
>>
>>17632895
That sounds like a good plan. I see what you mean about the degree, sounds pretty worrying. A few weeks ago I talked to some national guard recruiters and what they had to say about doing reserves during college was pretty impressive. They gave me some papers talking about the benefits of national guard which I will look over later.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.