[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Need to find what to do with my future >24 >BS in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 4

File: lnXKBO5.png (17KB, 529x107px) Image search: [Google]
lnXKBO5.png
17KB, 529x107px
>Need to find what to do with my future

>24
>BS in Comp Sci, minor math
>No debts, emergency money sorted and all that
>No current work

So, the above sums up my situation. I've been trying to discover what I might want to do since beginning HS, but nothing has really stuck. I took all sorts of different classes, all the APs I could, and was fairly active in extracurriculars. I'm in a pretty damn good place financially and in education, but the problem is that I have zero motivation to follow my degree now that I've graduated. I picked it on a whim and stuck with it since nothing seemed better at the time. I don't really need someone to tell me 'find what you want to do and try that instead.' I'd like to hear how any of you might have found your passions. Maybe it'll spark something or give me an idea of what to look into next. What did you guys or gals choose? How did you run across it? If you were in the same situation, how'd you get out of it? At the moment, I just stare blankly at pages of job listings and hope something pops at me.
>>
File: Granada.jpg (1MB, 1434x926px) Image search: [Google]
Granada.jpg
1MB, 1434x926px
>>17596205
you got
1. money
2. time
3. youth
you sound like a responsible well organized person
personally, i would take my time and money and travel to a foreign or exotic country for a few months
think about it
you are well organized enough, it sounds like you will make a nice career for yourself in whatever you do
however, once you go down that career path, you will have no time - add to that the fact that you more than likely end up with a life partner and maybe even have kids - once that happens any time you have from work will be spent with your new family - you wont have any free time between the start of your permanent relationships until retirement - and by the time you retire, it is a gamble to think that you will have your health, you will most likely be old, weak and tired - you wont want to go to the beach, run around all night or go for long walks and enjoy the extreme heat, extreme cold (if you are into that), extreme height, extreme partying or extreme fun - by that time, you will more than likely want to spend more time at home wishing you could do all the things you could when you were 24
im 40 now - i did some travelling (thank god) but i just wish i had done more
ive met countless retirees on my travels who all have the same regrets - they are thankful they made it to their 60s and 70s with good health but they also added that they had scores of friends that didnt make it
you have your youth - id say enjoy it as much as you can right now - life may seem like a joyride right now but it doesnt last long - trust me
>>
>>17596246
I took one trip like you've suggested already; I went to Europe and toured for a month with a group since I was worried about going alone. It was fun and more sightseeing than partying since I'm not a big party animal. I suppose I could do it again before I really aim for work, but the problem of finding what to do as a career will be waiting whenever I return.
>>
File: phuket.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
phuket.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>17596278
>the problem of finding what to do as a career will be waiting whenever I return
you sound like you are 20 years older than what you claim to be
imagine yourself when you are 60 yo with a bit of arthritic pain, low energy and maybe even a chronic back problem - that is the lower extreme - the worst would be that you are dead by that time or suffering from a severe chronically bad health that will prevent you from doing anything more stressful than walking across the street
a job and a career will always be something to deal with in life (or a problem if you want to look at that way)
you only have your youth once
and who knows maybe you will find an opportunity somewhere else rather than where you are located
why work somewhere near home? why not some other part of the world where you could find an opportunity to exploit using your youth and enthusiasm?
why not find something to do in a warm temperate part of the world where real estate is cheaper or maybe even a developing part of the world where real estate and job opportunities will potentially develop in the future? (im not talking about dirt poor places, just up and coming places, like say spain, portugal or some other part of the world that will develop more in the future?)
>>
>>17596205
OP are you a good CS major (know C and C++ in-depth, understand OS internals, optimizations techniques, and advanced data structures and algorithms) or a shitty CS major (you know Java and how to make a website in PHP)

Just study data structures and algorithms, I graduated last summer and I'm making 130k+ a year total compensation at Microsoft
>>
>>17596314
I kinda do, don't I? The problem with taking off for ages is that I actually do have some responsibilities to take care of here in the states- my dad died and left us a couple of pets and a house that needs selling.

>>17597087
I've had classes that used C, C++, C#, Python, Java, Ocaml, Scala, and a touch of Haskell and Matlab. I took classes on all of those 'except' web development and back-end design. I haven't used it much since graduation, but it wouldn't be too hard to get into the swing of it again. The biggest issue I have is that I don't really have motivation to keep up with it.
>>
File: egypt.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
egypt.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>17597308
40 yo travel anon here - responding
first off, sorry to hear about your father, my condolences, i lost both my parents over the past three years - its hard to lose those people no matter what age you are and now i feel like an orphan
im not saying take off and start a whole new life, if you are not that type of person - do it if you are adventurous enough and can do so safely
im just encouraging you to travel some more when you get the time - maybe venture to asia or even india
you sound like a very bright person with lots of options in life
>>17597087 like this anon suggested, sounds like you have several good options in life to do things to have a good career
id suggest before you get trapped into the whole career/partner/marriage/children thing, go out and see the world - you're 60 year old self would most likely want you to
if anything, travel will clear your mind and once you see how the the majority of the world has no opportunity to move ahead in life, you will have a better understanding of how much you have
also it will make life back at home so much easier compared to what life could be like anywhere else in the world
ive found that sometimes the best part of a long trip is coming home and realizing that life here (im a canuck btw) is like paradise and we have little to complain about
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.