[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I rent a room in my house out in a large city with lots of people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: purple mushroom.jpg (197KB, 720x749px) Image search: [Google]
purple mushroom.jpg
197KB, 720x749px
I rent a room in my house out in a large city with lots of people looking for housing.

This guy has expressed interest and wants to move in, he seems cool so I say it's his and we can sign a lease. I email him a lease, he comes over with his own lease (not the one I sent) with all this verbage about how I'm legally obligated to ensure none of the other roommates ever leave dishes in the sink or pots on the stove, and I'm obligated to provide lawncare and all these other things in a "house rules" format.

I mostly agree with being clean, but I've never had official "house rules" in a lease, I should say no to signing it, right? Like, who does he think he is making all these demands? None of my other tenants brought their own lease, should I tell him he can't live here unless he's willing to sign my copy? I don't see something like this ever working at like an apartment complex or anywhere else. I mean I kind of need a roommate to help pay rent but it won't be that hard to find someone else. What should I say?
>>
>>17596160
>"""Legal""" house rules
>YOU being responsible for OTHER PEOPLE leaving dishes in the sink

And what's he gonna do, sue you because Joe never washes his fucking coffee cup? Get another roommate
>>
>>17596160

Tell him to fuck off. No counter-negotiation, just straight fuck off.

He will be a problem if he moves in.
>>
give him a new contract that makes him a 100% responsible for all the cleaning and that he has to wear a maids outfit when he does it.
>>
agree to the new terms but double his rent.
>>
>>17596160
Tell him to get fucked. It's your house, your lease, your rules. I honestly wouldn't even deal with him even if he agreed to sign your lease. My family is in the rental property business, and people like that will be a pain in the ass in other ways. Just consider yourself lucky that he showed you he was a nutjob before you got stuck with him.
>>
>>17596160
Lol no, who the fuck does this
>>
The guy is a control freak- tell him politely no.
You don't want a roomate like that
>>
Thank you everyone for giving me some perspective. Originally I was thinking that I should maybe try to work with him and just convince him to sign my version and everything would be fine, but you're all correct, this is a huge red flag. If he's over-stepping bounds now, it's just going to get worse when he actually lives here and I don't want someone like that. I think I'll tell him sorry but I've reconsidered my offer. Now if only I can find someone normal before next month.
>>
>>17596160
Absolutely not. All of my tenants in all of my buildings get the exact same, standardized, municipally approved lease. The only differences are the addresses, the rents, and the move-in fees. Its completely nonnegotiable. I won't even discuss lease terms other than 12 months. Virtually every single big property holder and management company I know is the same way. My lawyer would literally drop me as a client if I signed a lease like the one you're describing.

This guy is already signaling he's going to be a problem. More importantly, you need to have everything standardized if you're going to be a landlord. Any deviation opens you up to liability.
>>
>>17596184
Sounds funny and profitable, but anything OP makes in rent he's going to lose from the inevitable withholding of rent and/or litigation. OP is better off leaving the room vacant and giving up the income for a few months than entering into this foolishness.
>>
>>17596160
It is your house, you make the rules.
Anything you do that doesn't meet his rules in his contract will be used against you so he doesn't have to pay for rent or utilities, his rules will also affect how your other tenants conduct themselves, meaning you will have to trust them to meet his rules so you aren't fucked about.
Tell him to use your lease or to go elsewhere, seeing as this guy has already tried running the house before he even moved in, I'd say don't bother with him at all.

tl;dr turn him down
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.