[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does the "technical" mean in a "technical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: tinker.jpg (96KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
tinker.jpg
96KB, 720x540px
What does the "technical" mean in a "technical masters degree"? Is it not the same as a regular masters degree?

Pick related, I'm currently looking at the Tinker Airforce PAQ program, which claims to "offer qualified BS grads a 3-year development and training program, which includes a one-year period of paid graduate studies to earn a technical Master's degree."

I would love to find a place that would pay for my Masters Degree, but I'm getting the impression that it's not an actual full-fledged Masters, or that I would not get to pick my field of study.
>>
Probably means it has to be technical eg. Engineering, Aerospace, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Security, Bioinformatics etc. That means no bullshit, no fine art or history.
>>
>>17593957

I'd agree with this person. Technical normally refers to more 'real' things, typically speaking degrees are more towards theoretical/academic side of things.

I would imagine you'll largely focus on how to do something, rather than the theory behind it.
>>
>>17593940
OP, see if you can find someone who is the POC for that program. The other posters are correct on what "technical" means.

The masters you get would be good for moving into a GS 11 slot, which is a fantastic place to start a career.

I'm in the AF if you have any other questions.
>>
Thank you!!!
>>
>>17593986

POC? Point of Contact?

I'm kind of nervous - this would be a huge change for me, and it's a pretty big decision. I'm not crazy about moving to Oklahoma (currently in texas) but three years wouldn't be too bad, I think. The recruiter gave me a bit of an "army recruiter" vibe, so I'm just trying to make sure I understand what I'd be signing up for. Do you know anything about the Palace Acquire Program?
>>
>>17594012
Yes, sorry, I sometimes forget the outside world isn't inundated with acronyms.

From what I understand, it's a foot in the door to the civil service side of the AF.
Make sure to ask, because this is all secondhand, but you get on as a GS 5, and then upon the completion of the internship, you can get hired into a slot, usually with promotion opportunities up to GS 11/12.

The recruiter probably has slots to fill (and may have been prior military), so that's why they may seem a bit sleezy. The big thing about being a civilian is that you can up and quit at any time you choose, and they don't really tell you too much how to run your life.

Federal service is pretty cushy, with definite hours and good overtime pay. Also, good vacation and a liberal sick policy. I'm considering a GS position myself after I'm done wearing the uniform.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.