[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I face an ethical quandary, and I'd like outside opinions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (121KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
121KB, 1920x1080px
I face an ethical quandary, and I'd like outside opinions.

I am a gymnastics coach. I've been coaching for close to 15 years, and if I may put humility aside for a moment, I'm really fucking good at it. I've had former students tell me that I changed their lives, I've had kids with broken families tell me they feel safest and most at-home and most-loved when they're at the gym with me, I've had former students go on to successful circus careers, I've had kids win national championships. Coaching is my passion, and I really feel that I have a great gift for it.

However, coaching in the USA means being a member of USA Gymnastics. I've always known USAG to be a fairly dysfunctional organization; recently, however, a flood of evidence has begun pouring forth that they have failed spectacularly in their duty to protect kids in the sport, especially at the top levels. Former olympic gymnasts are coming forward with stories of physical, verbal, and even sexual abuse. A number of documents have recently surfaced proving that USAG knew about a number of coaches who were sexually abusing kids, and did nothing to prevent it (and even in some cases protected the coaches in question). Remember all that shit about how the Catholic Church was protecting pedophile priests? Think along those lines, and apparently that's the sort of shit that has been going on within USA Gymnastics.

So now I face a profound moral dilemma. I truly feel that coaching is my calling, and that I am improving the lives of the kids I work with in ways that follow them out of the gym, and stick with them for the rest of their lives; however, I feel that USAG is a corrupt and rotten organization, and I am not sure if I'm comfortable continuing to pay membership dues and participate in USAG-sanctioned events.

Were I to drop my USAG membership, I would not be able to attend any competitions at any level, which would effectively make me unemployable as a competitive level coach.

What do?
>>
Clean up the organization?
>>
gather evidence, blow the whistle, do your job and clean up the organization while you're at it.
>>
Oh, to clarify: at this point the whistle has already been blown, the court cases are pending, and USAG and its lawyers and its insurance already know they're in deep shit. These effects have not (yet) trickled down to smaller member organizations, such as the one where I currently work.
>>
>>17593685
I'm sure you're not the only one in your position who feels this way. Connect with other coaches who hold similar opinions on the matter. Make your collective voices heard.
>>
I have no real connection to the higher-ups (ie the people actually implicated) at USAG, other than occasionally running into some of them at meets and clinics and such. I only know about all of this shit because it's already hitting the fan. The Indy Star (news outlet in Indianapolis, where USAG is based) has run a number of stories in the last few months about all of this.
>>
>>17593700
That's why you reach out to the other coaches. If one dude expresses disgust with their dysfunctional and criminal practices and has a moral conflict with continuing to help fund them via paying membership dues, they can afford to tell him to fuck off. If a significant portion of their members come at them all with that same message, not so easy to just brush off. Who's prosecuting the case? I'm sure they'd be very interested in hearing from you guys.

If this organization is beyond saving, you capitalize on that and get another one started. That's possible for one dedicated individual to pull off but again you'll fare much better if there's a bunch of you all working toward the same goal.

This is your passion? This is what you love? This makes a positive difference in people's lives? Then you do whatever needs done to keep being able to practice your calling.
>>
>>17593721

Interesting proposition, and not a bad one. I have several reservations about this, though.

First, I am not the sort of person who is skilled at (or even competent at) administration and organization of the sort that would be required. Get me on the floor with a group of kids, and I'll get them to work their asses off and have a blast doing so; but outside of this, I'm not really a people person, and I'm not good at leading or organizing groups of adults. In fact, I kind of hate people in general, and when I'm not coaching kids I'm generally an antisocial recluse.
So I'd love to see somebody spearhead such a movement, but I really don't feel I'm the right person to do it.

Second, while a rival organization to USAG might work in the long term, in the short term dropping my USAG membership would likely cost me my job and cost me any ability to get a decent-paying coaching job for the foreseeable future. Even working at a gym that pays its coaches unusually well, I live paycheck to paycheck, so being jobless for an extended period is less than ideal.
And I don't really have any other skills that would make me immediately able to find another job. I can't code, I'm disorganized and scatterbrained as all hell, I never went to college, and a minimum wage job would not realistically be enough for me to live on in my area.

Also, I'm not really sure how to go about reaching out to other coaches, or which coaches I should reach out to. I think most coaches in the US are in a similar position to the one I'm in; even if they wanted to tell USAG to fuck off, they wouldn't be able to continue coaching in any sort of competitive program, and coaches tend not to be the sort to have extra money lying around.
>>
>>17593632
Keep your job. Do your good work. Stay in the organization and do what you can as a single member to help it its clean up.

You can't save the whole world. But you can help one kid at a time, and don't let other people's failures block you from that.
>>
>>17594444
can't argue with the quads of truth
>>
Your duty is first and foremost to help those that depend on you

Stay in the organization, but don't be afraid to make your voice heard.
>>
>>17593632

You just gotta deal with it. Most organizations are corrupt, from things like Real Estate to others such as Medical Care. Just keep working and do you until you retire.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.