[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a passion for architecture, but repeatedly hear from others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1368142678434.jpg (296KB, 615x459px) Image search: [Google]
1368142678434.jpg
296KB, 615x459px
I have a passion for architecture, but repeatedly hear from others that it's a too competitive market with little potential of return, and all I'll end up doing is getting into debt for nothing.

I can't imagine myself slaving away in something else, but pressure is mounting and I can't keep my shitty part time job either. What do I do?
>>
>>17593329
I used to work as a mechanical engineering consultant and most of or projects had the architect as the lead consultant. Architects go to at least 7 years of school, some of that interning at a firm. After graduating they continue working to the path towards licensure, and accruing other credentials. Their actual work at the firm will likely start low as a draftsman working in autocad or revit, learning the various building codes. They also need to know the basics of mechanical, civil, structural, electrical engineering as well as landscaping, sustainability, fire protection, etc. They'll start to assist in managing projects until they're able to manage their own multiple projects. Much of the day is spent coordinating with the other trades and contractors and night is the only time left for design. I'm speaking mostly from the commercial industry but even if you go into residential design, no one will hire you unless you have a reputation. Reputations are built churning out soulless projects like targets and store spaces in minimalls. Enjoy.
>>
>>17593369
Gotcha. In that case, I'll just spend my savings on a shotgun and a single shell.
>>
>>17593329
>>17593369
Talking about Europe but here you study for 5 years which includes internship or in some programs, you do it in one year before graduating, so it is 6 years all together.
But schools are free or really cheap and you get government support to live.
If you are more active, you can work already when you study. The most important is that you have great rendering skills, which some who like IT and working with various programmes, have already before school. You just need to have a decent portfolio and when it comes to rendering, you can just make some famous building or your own unpaid project.
I have thought of studying architecture but don't want to settle right now. Also, working for someone else doesn't attract me.
But if you really like something, you will be successful at it. Interest and self reliance are the main characteristics that differentiate "normal" and successful students
>>
>>17593477
I've got the interest but I have no self reliance or self esteem at all. (Diagnosed aspie)

I guess I'm bound for failure where ever I go then.
>>
>>17593482
It's just a lot of hard work and a soul crushing industry. But the pay is real good I guess and some people are able to feel fulfilled. I wasn't so I quit.
>>
>>17593482
I meant that you need to do more than teachers ask you. Working on techincal stuff and doing the same thing over and over again is good for aspies. Self esteem increases if you have done something.
Many students just skip classes when they actually need them and work as little as they can.
>>
>>17593369
I am in first year architecture degree. This just crushed me. And now I am starting to regret this thing.
>>
>>17593611
If it's impressive it ain't easy
>>
>>17593329
Mexfag here. If its the same everywhere, then be ready to expect soul crushing amounts of work and duties, but hey, if it's your dream go for it. You're better off regretting it and leaving quicky than asking yourself what may had been for the rest of your life. Btw, the pay just gets better and better, every old architect I know is pretty much drowing in money.
>>
>>17593611
To be fair I'm cynical about my whole experience. My firm wouldn't pay overtime even though we worked 70 hours a week minimum and had no social lives. I was a project manager and it just wasn't worth it. They kept promising huge jumps in salary after my licensure but didn't deliver, so I left on to better things. I know a few architects that got off on working weekends and nights and didn't mind it but as an engineer, it wasn't for me. Good news is that as an architect design seems a lot more creative than the mechanical designs I got to do but you'll have to
keep in mind structural and code limitations. Meet and talk to architects, they'll be able to tell you more and if they're drunk they'll let you in on the real shitty side.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.