[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I quit my job? What do I say to my supervisor or the general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (57KB, 598x402px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 598x402px
How do I quit my job? What do I say to my supervisor or the general manager? I don't really have a reason other than not liking the work I do and always being stressed out.

I don't have another job lined up but I have a degree and around $2500 in savings, plus I live rent free in a small cabin my parents own. I figure I'll look for grocery store jobs while I'm looking for another "real" job.

How does this process work? Right now I work in an IT department where everything is always on fire and people quit every month and the boss is always stressed out because we're understaffed. It's not bad work but they ignore my available hours and expect me to be on call. I make about $2 above minimum wage.
>>
you dont owe them an explanation if you dont want to give one.

put your 2 weeks in and get out. really you dont even have to put your 2 weeks in, you could just finish out your shift and leave.
>>
>>17591854
Thanks, I've never quit a job before because I've only ever had seasonal work and internships.
>>
Write a polite letter of resignation, thanking them for the opportunity to learn and be a part of their business. Set a clear final date of employment, two weeks out (I'm generally pretty generous, I'll go up to the Friday past my two weeks, so like two extra days if I put in my notice on a Wednesday).

Pull aside your supervisor either at the beginning or the end of your shift, and firmly but politely let them know that you're leaving to look for other opportunities, that you appreciated working with them, and you'll be happy to help pass on any current projects to another member of the team while you transition out.

If they ask you why you're leaving, don't tell them it's a shit job, no matter how much you want to. Leave gracefully and say you're looking for career growth in another field you're passionate about. Your next employer may ask for a reference, and if your supervisor is willing to give one, good.

Make sure you have a good story for your next employer as to why you quit. "It's a shitty job" is not a good answer.
>>
I suggest toughing it out for a few more weeks until you get another job then do your final shift and don't show up anymore. You don't owe them anything.
>>
>>17591873
This is why so many early 20s kids spend years wondering why they can't get anything above a retail level job. Believe it or not, good employers/companies DO check your background, work history, and references, and take into account your rehire potential.

>>17591872
This is correct. Do not put a ton of emphasis on the story as to why you quit though, it can work against you if you seem too superfluous. Simply stating that you realized over time that the company did not have good growth potential for your career and you wanted to take a break to consider your field and other opportunities is a very concise and solid answer as to why you left.
>>
>>17591887

Utter bullshit. I work for the government and I quit my shitty retail but had references from there with people who I considered friends. You don't owe them anything because you can be replaced within a week.
>>
>>17591887
If I had to ask for a reference I'd probably ask one of my coworkers, but I understand what you're getting at. All good points.

I know I can make another $500 or possibly more from helping out family with computers in the next few weeks.
>>
>>17591891

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but my company calls the last 5 years' previous employer's HR departments to make sure you're not lying about how you left. If you walk out at the end of a shift, you're going to be terminated non-rehireable. Is it REALLY that hard to come to work for ten more days? You can half-ass it and know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
>>
>>17591891
Congratulations, you are an exception to a common rule.

>>17591894
>>17591891
I've been a hiring manager with a larger company for about 5 years. Your references are not all that matters, job history is important, and if I happen to call up your last job or last few jobs and I'm informed that you are not eligible for rehire due to circumstances you brought about as opposed to it being a general company policy, I do take that into account.

>>17591896
This.
>>
>>17591896

Good thing I don't work for a shitty company like yourself and have been at my current gig for 5+ years making good money. Imagine if every dumbass HR called your shitty gigs of the past and had a chat with how your quit.
>>
>>17591900
OP here, what exactly do you mean by that? Like I can't quit my job and expect to be hired again by any other company? I'm putting in my two weeks and being a good sport about it, but I'd imagine people quit their jobs all the time.
>>
>>17591906
No, just stated what I meant...

>>17591872
This poster's advice is correct, quitting your job at the end of a shift out of the blue like the foolish anon suggested can bite you in the ass. There are exceptions, and sometimes it won't, but there's no reason to not keep your history and company references clean over 2 more weeks of working.
>>
>>17591903

I'd bet my car that the company I work for is better than yours. No, my company doesn't call for references and background checks on EVERY applicant - they narrow down the process to 2-3 candidates and then do that check. And that's why you know we're a good company, because we can afford an HR department that does a thorough as fuck job hiring the best candidates.

And my HR department did call my gigs of the past to see how I quit. So, uh, yeah.

>>17591906
You can quit. Just don't listen to the guy saying "lol just walk out at the end of your shift you don't owe them anything."
>>
>>17591926
I'm sure both of your jobs are fantastic but I work in the computers dept of a Best Buy and I don't think it's quite the same
>>
>>17591926
You just said you worked for the government, now it's fortune 100?

You're assuming you make more than some rando on the internet.

You also have terrible fucking advice.

Fortunately OP has his head in the right place, I hate seeing people perpetuate stupidity.
>>
This thread turned terrible...ugh.
>>
Farting is hard
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.