[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Richfag here. Or should I say richfag's son. My dad is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

Richfag here. Or should I say richfag's son. My dad is the managing partner of a big law firm. I'm in my last year at uni, and my dad wants me to come work for him once I graduate--long term, to also go to law school and eventually take over his company.

I don't want to do it. He's right, law is something I'd be good at, and I can't think of a single other career path where I'd make that much money. But honestly fuck him. This whole process is making me feel like I don't have control of my own life. I feel like I either can't go out and do other things, or that if I do, I'll always be looking back thinking "Yeah, but you could have made more money/been more successful/been happier/whatever as a lawyer!" In the scheme of things, I'd be more okay with law if I didn't have to work for my dad. I really don't want to work for my dad.

What do I do? Do I throw in the towel and say I'm gonna become a lawyer? Or is that not even throwing in the towel and I'm just being a whiny bitch? It's lose-lose, I feel like I'll either be thinking "You should have listened to your dad and become a lawyer" or "I can't believe you gave up on anything else and became a lawyer" for the rest of my life.
>>
Wow being upper class must be hard. Getting career opportunities thrown at you? No need to go out of your way and apply for shit?

Sounds rough buddy
>>
>>17586415
To be good at something doesn't mean you like it. Trust me as the guy that is more skilled in IT than many but dislikes it very much.
I also think your dad is going to make you ceo at some point so you won't always work under him.
So if you like it, do it. Otherwise, your choice.
>>
do you know what you want to do?

id still just not do it desu. is he threatening to cut you off if you dont? id still do my own thing.

i think ur making a bigger deal of this than you should. ur describing literally any scenario. "i should have worked at mc donalds instead of bk'. just make a choice you like and go with that.

ur dad will get over it, and if hes not the type to get over it, you'll be grateful you didnt wokr with him and having to put up with his rantings of a different failure every fucking day for the rest of your life.
>>
>>17586425
/thread

Suck it up, you spoiled brat.
>>
>>17586425
Basically /thread

I'll try not to be harsh, but take a step back for a second. Imagine how many of your peers would kill to have an opportunity like that. Fuck money, just the security of knowing you have a job waiting for you if everything else goes tits up is something that people would, and I'm sure have, killed for
>>
How bout you go hop on your daddy's boat and cry about your life
>>
>>17586415
OP here. Here's what it really is. I wouldn't say I was "forced", more like I was "strongly advised" by my dad to major in Engineering at uni. The advise being that no matter what thing I do, I'd never be as successful as if I'd majored in engineering and then pursued that thing. Long short I learned that that's false fairly quickly. I wish I could have studied Biology (unfortunately there's "no money" in biology).

I feel like so many doors are closed now because I listened to my dad--and it's not just uni, it's year of indoctrination that "engineers are smart, everyone else is dumb". And, that this was his plan all along, to set me up to be an IP lawyer. I don't want to do it because if I do, then he wins.
>>
>>17586415

Say you want a gap year and travel around for a year, will give you time to think about what you actually want to do while having a legitimate excuse to delay making a decision.
>>
>>17586494
Poor thing, if you lose/dad wins your gonna be a rich lawyer, and if you win/he loses you'll likely just be poor. Man life must be hard when your so lucky you have to create problems for yourself. At least I understand why he wants to "win", you just seem like an ass set on sabotage.
>>
I think you ought to find a shrink to talk about your daddy issues...
>>
I wish you the best OP, but seriously, fuck you.
>>
>>17586494
>(unfortunately there's "no money" in biology

Because it's one of those fields people get into because they actually love, and monetarily benefits come secondary.

Kinda wish it was like that all over.
>>
As someone who went to uni, then struggled for a long time to even find a job related to my degree, and now am working for chump change essentially, the nicest possible thing I can say is "do it you retard, it's all right there just waiting for you and you don't have to even make any hard decisions"

That's as nice as I can be.
>>
>>17586415
So this is what rich people worry about. I worry about how I'm going to afford my next meal.

No one has control over their life anon. It's just an illusion. The universe is cruel and random. Just like how you were born into riches and I was born in a Vegas motel.
>>
>>17586415

> 1% First World Problems

Realize this dilemma you are in is such a fucking ungodly privilege and embrace this thought.

With that being said, I followed in my dad's footsteps because he set me up for advantage in life to be that way. I was inundated with tech and computers from the time I was young. He was teaching me how to program QBasic on my 386 so I could do simple games before I was 12.

It was all I really knew, and I liked money, so I used my advantage and now I am fairly successful at software development. I set off on my own, established myself, then took a nice stable job at my dads company but I fucking earned it. It wasn't just handed to me on a silver platter.

The bottom line is, the Good Lord graces us with few exceptional talents and privileges, so it would be stupid to squander it on pride. Take pride instead in your abilities and set a name for yourself. Try to make it as a lawyer outside of his firm, and then when you have established your career, come back to his firm and already be a giant standing at his side rather than sulking in the shadow of his greatness.
>>
OP again. Wow. Honestly, all of this has been extremely helpful. I know it's just the internet, but this is the closest I've come to talking to others about this. I didn't realize just how much it would help to a) get this off my chest, and b) hear what others would have to say on the matter. This has really helped me put things in perspective. I have a lot more work to do.
>>
Thanks guys
>>
>>17586415

Fuck Law school.

You realize with advances in artificial intelligence that getting a job as a lawyer will be impossible unless you are the son of a managing partner... oh wait.
>>
File: He's_right_you_know.jpg (52KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
He's_right_you_know.jpg
52KB, 640x478px
>>17586494

Well Engineers are in fact, very fucking smart and tend to be 120+ IQ on average. That sets a large portion of the population well below them.
>>
File: 0percent.jpg (175KB, 500x587px) Image search: [Google]
0percent.jpg
175KB, 500x587px
If you're ok with Law, tell him you want to be successful at it on your own, or maybe want to start your own business instead.

>there's no money in biology
My fucking ass there isn't. Sounds like your dad might be a fool. Biological engineering is gonna have a huge market in the future. With your background in engineering, you're already a step ahead. Go ahead and study biology.

Fucking figure it out. Its easy p z for you rich boy.
>>
>>17586415
I think what's important is what you want. Don't not do law because your dad wants you to. That's just rebelling and he still controls your actions that way. Do what you want dude, it's your life not his.
>>
>>17586415
>wah my rich, successful dad wants to give me a job but I don't want it
My dad is a chain smoking, alcoholic who has been unemployed for years. He's a miserable, chronically lazy man who takes out all his troubles on his friends and family. He's basically burned every bridge he ever made and blames everyone but himself for it. If he died tomorrow, I would honestly feel relieved. Fuck you OP.
>>
>>17586671
Just because your situation is worse in comparison doesn't mean he can't have problems.
>>
>richfag problems

I doubt very many people here can help you.
>>
>>17586671
I'm sorry about your dad btw.
>He's a miserable, chronically lazy man who takes out all his troubles on his friends and family. He's basically burned every bridge he ever made and blames everyone but himself for it. If he died tomorrow, I would honestly feel relieved.
I feel ya
>>
join a competitor and grind him into the ground
>>
>>17586415
Travel. Do something out of your comfort zone, where you have to figure it the fuck out for yourself, in a foreign country, where your cell phone doesn't work and your Amex isn't openly accepted.

Figure your self out. If you come back and still don't know what to do, be a lawyer, dont fuck up the golden opportunity you have. If by 27/28 you know it's not for you, you will at least have earned everyone's respect enough to make your own decision. But don't jump ship until you know what you want to do.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.