[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I not fuck up my grades in uni? I've been here for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

How do I not fuck up my grades in uni? I've been here for 2 weeks, and I already feel like I'm going to do way below what I was hoping to achieve coming in. I'm tired as fuck every day (thanks to 8:30 classes), my business (accounting part at least) course feels like studying sanskrit or Egyptian heiroglyphics, and my profs are all saying how they're forced to make the class average for first years between 65-70. I figured I'd be able to achieve a 3.7+ if I work hard, but right now I feel like I'd be lucky to hit the 3.0 mark. And this is only first year.

What did you high achievers in /adv/ do to hit the godly grades in uni? I'm not a stupid person, but this place makes me feel like one.

Thanks
>>
This isn't high school. University has a lot more personal responsibility to it. Don't want to turn up to class? You don't have to. Miss a deadline? No one's going to chase you up about it. The result of this is that you have to make an effort to do the work in your own time. Showing up to class is not going to be enough, you have to do readings, make study notes and flash cards, and in general, learn how you learn.

By the way. 8:30 classes are not early. If you're finding it difficult to turn up to them, you need to get your sleeping pattern sorted.
>>
>>17582812

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've shown up to each class (and sat in the front 3 rows), but I feel like I'm not doing a good job with my readings. Normally, I review after every class by heading straight to the library and reviewing what I just learnt (+ moving things from paper to laptop), but I haven't tried making flash cards yet. I'll try that tomorrow (I'm going to sleep early today)

Back in HS, I would sleep from 11:30-6:30, so I figured that it'd be okay to sleep from 12:30-7:15, but in retrospect, I was tired back then too. I guess I'll sleep early today!
>>
>>17582834
>moving things from paper to laptop
I did this for a few years, but I've switched to a laptop to take notes because I found that it was wasting time that I could spend doing other stuff. If you trust yourself not to get distracted in class, you could just take your laptop along with you to class to save yourself this time.

Going off that, when you read generic study tips online, don't assume that they're going to work for you. Like I said, learn how you learn. For example, when I do the whole 'study in shorter periods and take breaks more often' thing, I find I don't get anywhere, so my study schedule involves longer study periods with longer breaks.

By the way, my high school history teacher gave me this tip for doing well at university: treat it like a 9-5 job. Spend 8 hours a day working on uni stuff, and then take the rest of your time for yourself.
>>
>>17582858

Oh, i meant moving from paper to laptop for courses like math where it's a pain to make the equations easily readable on the spot. Everything else is laptop

The advice by your history teacher is great, and I'm going to try it tomorrow. At the least, I'll have an idea of how long the working days in finance are, and at best, it may boost my entire uni career.

Thank you for your help!
>>
I ended up with a 3.72 overall. I had a 3.88 for the first two years and it dropped the last because I had a brain injury that made focusing difficult and also made it impossible for me to do some of my coursework because I was required to travel around the area and was not allowed to drive.

Honestly I will chalk my grades to the following elements:

1. I majored in something I loved. I have always been good at writing so I went into journalism. I figured it was practical enough and would give me training for all the fields I have even a slight interest in. Although I also really love plant science, astronomy, and computer engineering, I have no real experience with any of them and know I am not as strong at science. I didn't want to spend thousands on courses I would struggle with only to feel inadequate once I landed a job (if I did)

2. I had a very flexible schedule. I very rarely had classes before 10, because I knew I had issues waking up. I know I fall asleep easy in classes so I made sure I could be as rested as possible before my classes since I had to pay for them and didn't want to waste my money

3. I went to class no matter what. I missed maybe five classes over the course of three years. I missed one in a core class only because I was in the hospital coughing up blood and unable to walk. There was a time I stayed in the hospital until about 2 in the morning and still went to class. When you only meet 1-3 times a week, it can be daunting to recovering from missing any class time
>>
>>17582858
>>17582908
There have actually been studies done that show that writing things out by hand help you to remember better than typing them. Something about how because it takes longer, you need to summarize and paraphrase the content instead of typing it verbatim, which forces you to think more about it.
I dunno, I don't think most people can type fast enough to catch a person speaking at normal speed verbatim. But that's what I read. I may be misremembering.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.