[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a degree in Cognitive Science useful? I'm currently on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (24KB, 419x304px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
24KB, 419x304px
Is a degree in Cognitive Science useful? I'm currently on track for it and I'm worried about my job prospects. Is the pay good or am I fucked?
>>
>psychology
>useful

lmao cunt
suicide before you waste money on your worthless jewish meme degree
>>
a bachelors degree? if so then no, not at all.
>>
>>17575897
Why? I hear people going into human-interface design with just a bachelor's.
>>
>>17575889
Look for job postings for things you wouldn't mind doing for 30 years. See what the degree requirements are. Psychology is a good introduction to public health, public administration, human resources, private practice, school counseling, lots of great and necessary people we need.
>>
>>17575908
A psychology degree is useless unless you get a Master's.

That's why I'm wondering if Cog science would land me a better job.
>>
>>17575903
You will always hear about exceptions to the rule.

No ___ology degree that is not a hard science is worth shit at the baccalaureate level. If that is all the further you are going then do something somewhat useful like business and get a minor in whatever field you want to work in. This gives you the oenings the field offers plus general competency and career mobility.
>>
>>17575914
>Cognitive Science
When I read this I think "couldn't get a real psych degree".

There is no real upside to this degree.
>>
>>17575931
Well what the fuck am I supposed to do with a psych degree? Isn't the pay really low?
>>
>>17575914
It's useless without a Master's in something, not necessarily psychology. If the jobs you want will take this cognitive meme degree, then go for it. Look it up tho.
>>
>>17575941
The average starting salary for someone with a BA/BS in psychology is 30-37k.

The average starting salary for someone with a BS in Cognitive science is 50k.

That's a big difference.
>>
>>17575937
>Well what the fuck am I supposed to do with a psych degree?
Nothing. That's the point.

There are no real jobs that require a specific bachelor of the arts degree. There are jobs that require specific bachelor of science degrees.

Getting a real degree and minoring in whatever you are interested in will make you more hireable than getting a BA.

For your your Cognitive Science example, the real degree version would be Biology, specifically human anatomy, with a minor in Psychology. It's going to be harder work but you will be miles ahead of people that get bullshit BA degrees and you will be able to find work in other fields easily.
>>
>>17575954

I'm an electrician and my starting salary is 65k.

What was your point again?
>>
>>17575954
So what. Those numbers are meaningless. Look at /actual jobs/ and what they pay.
>>
>>17575960
Cognitive Science is a B.S. degree dumb fuck.
>>
>>17575965
I'd rather take 40k as a high school counselor than 65k as a sparky, but that's just me. Gotta look at actual jobs, not bullshit numbers from your university, because your university won't tell you that skilled trades often start at a lot higher salaries and carry much less student debt, take fewer classroom hours, and are a lot more in demand than university degrees, pound for pound.
>>
>>17575960
Mathematics along with other Hard Sciences like Biology and Chemistry will only give you a starting salary of about 40k compared to Social Sciencec who earn about 35-40k. All bachelor's are lackluster unless you go to grad school or education which will probably give you a salary of about 60k.

Only Electrical Engineering and Business majors have something to brag about. Nobody fucking cares about biology/physics/chemistry majors unless you become a teacher. You're just as "useless" as all the other history and art majors.
>>
I have a Cog Sci degree. Its been less than a year since I graduated and I make 70k doing IT.

I got to pick my choice of psychology, linguistics, philosophy, etc. Some people do half computer science degrees and get into user interface design. Some people do a neuroscience track. Most do a masters program and get to choose between the 3-4 different disciplines they did and actual cog sci masters programs.

There are no directly "cognitive science" jobs. If you do it right you will have out learned people in multiple different degree programs. Or you will have leveraged the "interdisciplinary" thing to do undergrad research, if not research in multiple fields.

People are fucktarded about degrees. No one wants an engineer who took 8 years to graduate with a C. No one wants anyone who partied the entire time and didn't do anything. If you pull actual work and results out of your degree you can probably get a job.

I basically spend 4 years picking what I wanted for classes. I learned the actual science behind learning and studying, how syntax and grammar works for different languages, learned the myriad of cognitive biases and traps in how people think, learned formal logic, learned to argue from the prelaw guys in philosophy classes, learned research methodology for social sciences, research methodology bases on using computers to analyze large data sets.

Oh yeah and if you have a high GPA you can go intern almost everywhere, three letter agencies even.
>>
>>17576051
What do you mean by "doing it right"?
>>
>>17576051
So is a bachelor's in cog sci good enough or do you need a masters?
>>
There isn't that much to user interface design. It's just two modules worth of content to get to the cutting-edge. It's open to you and the degree would hold some weight, but the question is why, shouldn't your degree have places where it naturally leads? It seems like a lot of work just to do some HCI science.
>>
So what the fuck do I do?

Major in psychology and go to grad school or major in cognitive science and hope I get a job with just the B.S.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.