[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a 24-year-old who wants to start working at a hotel.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sheraton-waikiki-1.jpg (361KB, 1500x1004px) Image search: [Google]
sheraton-waikiki-1.jpg
361KB, 1500x1004px
I'm a 24-year-old who wants to start working at a hotel. I live in Hawaii, so there's no shortage of them.

The problem is that I have no idea what to expect, how to go about doing it, or how to move up if I get an entry level job.

I only have a BA in teaching English to foreigners and I spent the majority of my last year after graduating trying (unsuccessfully) to get into teaching gigs in Japan, so this is all completely out of my comfort zone. It doesn't help that I don't really have a reason as to why I picked hotel work, but I just wanted to go after something outside of education.

I'm planning on getting CPR/First-Aid certified soon, as well as a drivers license once I get re-familiarized behind the wheel.

How hard is it to get into a decent paying job at a hotel without prior knowledge/experience? Is there even a way to move up if I get a cleaning/bellhop/front-desk job or something like that? Is there anyone who can share any experiences?
>>
Not hard? At all. Volunteered for one while doing nursing course on the side. Most jobs (maintenance, kitchen, front desk, etc) were all super easy and manageable.

I'm sure there's a way to move up but who cares because regardless of what you're doing you'll be making substantial money. Makes me want to go and find a hotel job now.
>>
>>17571014

What did you do? Did you need any prior knowledge of anything? And how do you know that it makes good cash if you were a volunteer?
>>
>>17570925
>trying (unsuccessfully) to get into teaching gigs in Japan,

Do it in Korea instead.
More demand and it's just a short trip away from japan.
That's exactly what my cousin (who's also an English major graduate from Hawaii) is doing right now.
>>
>>17570925
Fellow Hawaiian here. If you know someone it's always easy, much like every other workplace here. I've had friends work the front, cleaning, and valet. I used to work in the Moana Surfrider for a summer. Then I moved to retail elsewhere in Waikiki until I got my degree. It's kind of like a family/friend environment, but the pay was shit. Helps if you know people like I said, there are idiots at all levels in that industry, experienced or not.
>>
>>17572167
Also a bunch of my friends just moved to Japan and got jobs teaching when they got there. A lot of their fellow teachers are from all over and aren't even fluent. My friends didn't even have degrees in teaching or Japanese. Just Shia Labeouf it man.
>>
>>17572171
>>17572146
I spent the last 3 years trying to get any English teaching job in Japan. I'm done with it, any anything related to teaching. I just want to move on and do something new.

My current concern is explaining to interviewers why my work history has been so sporadic (nobody wants to hire you if they find out you're trying to leave the country).

>>17572167
How shit?
>>
>>17572205
It really helps to know people already working somewhere. It's mostly a Hawaii thing but it's how I've got all of my jobs until I got enough certification and credentials to do what I'm doing now, but even then people I work with now that are local know me from so and so. If you don't know anyone already working at a hotel, recommend getting in with a new opening hotel, like the Four Seasons in Ko Olina. I have a friend that got in with Aulani when it was opening and the commute isn't too terrible if you live in town.
>>
>>17572104

>Did you need any prior knowledge of anything?

It's basically just customer service/interaction. Be polite but not intrusive, and do your best to fulfill your customers' requests
>>
>>17572233

Thanks for the tip about The Four Seasons. I'll see if they're hiring entry positions. I live in Kaneohe, but I'm planning on moving out downtown anyway cause my family rented my old room out, so Kapolei shouldn't be that bad.
>>
>>17572271
The commute would probably be better from Kaneohe, or if you move out to Kapolei or Ewa rent would be even cheaper.
>>
>>17572281
>The commute would probably be better from Kaneohe

Are we talking about the Four Seasons in Ko Olina? As long as I've lived in Kaneohe, I'm pretty sure none of my commutes have ever been better by being in kaneohe.
>>
>>17572302
Better coming from Kaneohe than from downtown, unless H3 is fucked.
>>
OP here.

Just applied for a spa receptionist position at The Four Seasons.

Thanks for the help everyone, here's hoping.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.