[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are unprofessional professors just something you have to deal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1473713259791.jpg (40KB, 576x472px) Image search: [Google]
1473713259791.jpg
40KB, 576x472px
Are unprofessional professors just something you have to deal with in college?
We were using an online app in class that made answering questions into a competition. Mainly on grammar. If you got in 5th place or higher, you didn't have to do the quiz next week and you got an automatic 100% on it.
The problem being, there were at least 5 questions on there relating to music and movie trivia, like old movies only the oldest in class had even heard of, and old dadrock bands.If these questions weren't on there, I would have probably gotten the highest score. Why is my skill in grammar being measured by my knowledge of The Who and Casablanca? Is this normal in college?

Not to mention my programming professor hardly giving us any instruction past "I want a code that does this". As a first year student who hasn't even touched Visual Basic, what am I even supposed to do? When I ask the professor for guidance, he literally tells me to google it. He hasn't once actually taught the class anything.

Are these kinds of things really the standard for today's professors? I was told that it was important to ask questions, but now that I have the courage to do so I get no real information out of asking anything. These courses may as well be directed by automated powerpoint.
>>
File: 1473606914265.png (152KB, 475x359px) Image search: [Google]
1473606914265.png
152KB, 475x359px
First off stop bullshitting.

The lecture notes as well as the tutorials are enough to get whatever assignment is needed to be done. Further more you are in computer science where a plethora of answers and informational guides are literally online. When your professor says to google it, he is really saying "stop being a lazy twat and search for answers on google like you would in a real programming job.". The guy gives you a chance to get a 100% on quiz without even doing it yet here you are complaining about the questions being too specific in one genre. Must everything be cuddled and spoonfed to you?
>>
>>17570594
Unfortunately, yes, but you can complain to the dean. I would write a letter or an email, anonymous or not, to the head of your department and just explain that you don't appreciate being measured on your pop culture knowledge in class. It's one thing to try and make things more fun and interesting, but she's going about it the wrong way.

I had a professor require us to add her on facebook. Yes. It was required. If we didn't have a facebook we had to make one, because she said that is the best way to communicate with her. We also had a mandatory facebook group where we had group discussions. Needless to say I made a second account just for the class.

I wish I had waited a year to take her class, because she's not there anymore.
>>
>>17570603
My problem with the programming course is that we were specifically told at the beginning to ask questions when guidance is needed. "Google it" isn't guidance, and if it was, hell, I could be a fucking professor here if they gave me some powerpoints to dish out to people every year.

I think you're assuming that the grammar questions had some grounding in actual grammar, but they didn't. He played a 5 second clip from a black and white movie and asked what the movie's title was. He played a few seconds of an old song and asked what band played it. That isn't measuring my knowledge of grammar.

I know I'll do well on the quiz but it's still a little insulting to currently be doing worse in the course than others because I don't watch the same movies or listen to the same music as the prof.
>>
>>17570594
Professor (not yours) writing here.

Professors are given a wide latitude in how they choose to teach their courses, but not left totally unwatched, and I can assure you his department and dean knows what he does. If he were way out of line, he'd be dealt with.

Meanwhile, from your perspective, there are only two bases for complaint, individual prejudice - that is, he's picking on you personally worse than anyone else - or invalid standards - that is, he's failing the whole class by making it impossible for anyone to pass.

If you can show that the same people always do better on quizzes, not because they're better students, but just because they are of a definable age, gender, race, etc., you can make a case. But if your complaint comes down to "He asks questions I can't answer" you can't.
>>
If you can get enough people to agree with you, you got a case. Get everyone's signatures and sign that jackass off to Bali or whatever. Seriously my class did that in my first year of college and that's how we got rid of my Anatomy teacher. A sad, sad old man that basically used up classes to talk about his own life.
>>
I don't see anything unprofessional here mate. You're just a whiny bitch.

Now I had a prof that would creep on his students fb pages and make inappropriate comments in class about them. Like he asked one of my classmates why she felt the need to wear such a revealing dress in her profile pic.

We recorded his inappropriate comments that have nothing to do with anything about the class/school and reported him to the college and he got canned. THATS inappropriate and unprofessional behavior, not giving quirky homework assignments and not just handing you the answers to everything.

Remember son, school is not about learning the answer, its about learning HOW TO FIND the answer. Ever hear the phrase "give a man a fish...."? That's what college is for. They're not going to hand you fish, they're going to teach you how to fish yourself. If you don't know how to use google then idk how you even got to college in the first place.
>>
>>17570614
Lol fuck I had one of those too. We had a whole fucking project that was based around making a facebook page for whatever historical figure we were doing our project on. (Despite this technically being against FB's TOS lol).
I had one teacher for an online class require us to upload a video with our "introduction" to youtube. I told her I didn't feel comfortable giving my name, face, school, and major to literally anyone and everyone publicly on the internet so that they can stalk me. She told me to just leave her class then lol. I reported her assignment to the college for safety reasons. Idk what ever happened with it, I was forced to do it to get a grade. I remember being pissed because I planned to upload it the last possible second, and delete it off youtube the second she saw it. Took her a fucking month to grade it. I deleted it after a week and she emails me a month later going "Where is your video?" and I literally replied "Oh, it's been a month so I assumed you already graded it. I told you how uncomfortable I was having it online, so you probably should have graded it in a timely manner."
She made me reupload it to fucking youtube instead of watching the file I attached to the fucking email like a cunt.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.