[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't find a job...might end up homeless in a foreign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_mlo9la3yMe1riae2mo1_500.jpg (76KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlo9la3yMe1riae2mo1_500.jpg
76KB, 500x325px
>21f, moved from u.s to ireland temporarily
>on a one year work visa
>took a year off from school to do this (was having a lot of issues, needed a serious break)

>go a decent uni back home, have a decent cv, decent references (have a two yr degree from a CC if that matters).
>experience in managerial, admin, reception, research, recruitment, etc
>applied to 170+ jobs, customised my cover letter for each employer (didn't send a generic one)
>have gotten one response for a skype interview in which the interviewer bailed last minute (wtf)
>so technically- ZERO responses

I know I can't green text for shit.

Anyways, I realize it might because I have a 'strange' name (ethnic name), and start assuming that they are profiling on the basis that my name isn't 'white.' I'm annoyed AF because I asked some people who live here, and they said it is true, and that they only want to hire 'actual' Irish people with Irish names.

I wanted to spend a year here and was super excited about it, but now it's turned into a nightmare of being stuck in a house literally slaving away doing check in/housework @ a B&B and do the family's laundry, make lunch/dinner, clean non stop, in exchange for room and board (been doing this for the past month). I've learned a lot and it has been humbling to do this....but I'm stuck in rural bit of the country and I haven't talked to/met anyone new or even around my age for a month+ (it's just me, my 'hosts' and 2 bratty, spoiled kids). I want a proper job.

I'm really sad and it eats away at me more and more every day. In fact, my anxiety is starting to come back and it's making this trip the reverse of everything I wanted it to be. I don't want to be homeless in a foreign country. I have no one to go to for advice about this, and I don't want to tell my family bc I put so much enthusiasm into being here...I don't want to go back and spend a year doing nothing (uni starts again next fall).

Any advice on this matter would be so, so appreciated.
>>
>>17561456
a) change your name
b) work at McDonald's

You can always move to China to teach English.
>>
>>17561687
I can't change my name. I'm abroad.

If you read into my post...I'm not moving anywhere really...it's very temporary. I don't want to go to China....
>>
>>17561456
Contact friends or family to wire you money.

Go to the U.S. Embassy and they will get you home, but you will be billed later.
>>
>>17561456
You have to move back to the states. It's not your name, they just don't want the trouble of having a worker an ocean when they have plenty of applicants down the street.
>>
go back to the United States

ROI is third world tier and has rampant poverty. not sure why you went there in the first place
>>
Do the procedure of calling places after you apply. Go for local factories, offices, cleaning services etc. But don't just spam your application at all the jobs on some job board.

Are you sure there's no safety nets? In Europe we try to patch all the cracks. I wonder how you got in without proof of funds/accommodation/job demand.

Don't worry though, jobs exist and often small companies can't find anyone.
>>
>>17561850
This. Thank you.
I do have proof of funds and met all of the requirements. I can go back tomorrow if I wanted, as I am lucky enough to have parents that would work with me on that. I am not rich, but they would obvs love to have me home. I just want to learn how to be independent and will work through this. I think calling companies is a great idea and maybe I should put more effort into that instead of working on my cover letters and verbage....thank you again.
I don't know why everyone else is being so harsh...I said I wanted to be here and needed advice.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.