[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to go to college, but I feel like a second class citizen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1468755893874.png (177KB, 349x404px) Image search: [Google]
1468755893874.png
177KB, 349x404px
I want to go to college, but I feel like a second class citizen that shouldn't even try for some reason.

The thing is I was born into a rather poor family, everyone has had simple jobs that didn't pay well and even to this day my mom is struggling to survive, so I have to help her out.

I wanted to quit my job and live of my savings while in college, but when I was looking around for more information on that one colleges homepage I saw some pictures of graduates and after reading their stories I felt like they were on a completely different level.
They look like they were meant to be successful since they were born, they have a flawless résumé and I'm pretty sure most of them come from an already successful family.

I feel like like I have the potential to do achieve something, but I'm aware of myself and the fact that I'm definitely not a genius though.
>>
What do /adv/?

(some additional info I'm living in europe)
>>
>>17561411
Just quick question while I write up a longer comment, may or may not be related to how you feel: do you happen to be an ethnic/religious minority in your current country?
>>
>>17561443
No that is not the case.
>>
File: 1372264010779.gif (118KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1372264010779.gif
118KB, 500x281px
>>17561452
Right, just wondering.

Well OP, technically, this is par for course. The dirty secret in education that people don't like to admit is that family wealth and stability affords a distinct advantage. It means that parents can spend money to send their child to a standardized test camp (prepare for the SAT, ACT, etc.), pay for instrument lessons, associate with other wealthy parents and their kids, and so forth. This extends to university too. Kids with money can afford to go out and party/network more, can afford to take up prestigious internships (particularly unpaid ones), and are generally better prepared for university if they went to specialized private schools rather than public one

I would know; I'm one such beneficiary.

My advice: try to befriend and stick with those kinds of kids during college. You'll gradually begin to emulate their work habits, and they're a great network for future success.

Out of curiosity, what do you intend to study?
>>
>>17561411
>after reading their stories I felt like they were on a completely different level
Tell yourself that no university in the world will say on their homepage
>"After going to college X I became a wagecuck"
Because employers look at the website when they see a college they have never heard of
Which means that all of these resumes become instantly glued to you
It's just an illusion to motivate the students and the employers

Also, in success stories, the guys don't start from the top. First name that comes to mind, Margret Thatcher came from an industrial background. But if you're already insecure from the get-go you won't accomplish much.
>>
>>17561513
Not 100% sure yet, but I guess it'll be something like electrical engineering as I was already working in a power plant and I'm really interested in that kind of technology.
>>
>>17561411

I was in your situation 5 years ago. Go to college. I didn't (I stayed in town and took care of an elderly relative) and now I'm in a pretty fucked up spot. And by pretty fucked up, I mean suicidal levels of depression at frequent intervals.

I didn't think it would be a big sacrifice, and I don't regret taking care of my family, but if I had been in college, my life would be at least twice as good on the financial, emotional, and romantic level.

Pick something you want to do and start studying. If you're poor, you should get a full ride scholarship to a community college or 4 year university. If you go to community college, you may have a good chunk of money left over that can go right in your pocket. If you don't like what you're studying, choose something else. You'll have scholarships.
>>
i asked myself the same questions a month ago . now ive applied to university , moved to another city by my own and trying my best to make it. no one in my family ever attended any form of higher education and i wasnt a good student , i barely got the qualification to even apply to university. iam only telling u this so u know from which place iam speaking .so let me tell u something college is not hard , u dont have to be smart , u dont need to be the best , its all about getting the paper so u can get a job. and to do that u need discipline. it dosent matter how smart u are aslong u are putting the time in studying , just take it as ur job u have to put atleast 40 h in or even maybe 80 h a week and if u do that u wont have any problem passing through college . after putting the time in its getting realy easy , but ur first year will probably be the hardest.If u can muster up the discipline then go for it , even when u fail u wont regret it because u tryed ur hardest.

Now i dont know from which country ure coming from but saving up money is not the best idea , atleast it wasnt in my case.
i only took a serious look at financing college after i got a place at the university and as it turned out i had earned to much money in the last year to get gov funding . In retrospect i could had spent all my money on some useless shit in the last year and be better off. Just take credit , u can work for 10€ an h or have 40k debt on a 30-50 € h salary. u would basically just waste time and money working before college or working while attending collge.
>>
I see there is literally no downside to going to college if you can afford it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.