[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to surround myself with smart, intelligent people of my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: t_10-3200-STUDYING-004.jpg (210KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
t_10-3200-STUDYING-004.jpg
210KB, 550x367px
I want to surround myself with smart, intelligent people of my age so that I'm forced to become a better person and function on the same level, and I feel like attending University is the only option for this. When I was in school, I did very poorly academically, but I took activities with students who were in higher level classes, from well-off families who were much more successful. It was the only time in my life were I actually felt I was worth something, because I forced myself to function on their level and become something better. My life is at a standstill after failing school, and I want that same drive again to succeed. Would going to a University solve this, or should I come to accept that I'm inferior to those I look up to and that it's unlikely I'll ever catch up to them?
>>
>>17559940
If you struggled academically in school, you're going to be fucked at a university.
>>
There are plenty of motivated and intelligent people that don't go to university, and there are lots of spoilt rich kids at uni who have as much motivation as a brick. Uni isn't where you're going to find your drive to succeed...
>>
Lets put it that way if you dont willpower to learn what other tells you, its going to be fuckfest in uni where no one is going to force you to learn. Usually degrees related with economics and law attract more of upper society people.
>>
Relying on others to inspire you to succeed is misguided.
>>
>>17559943
What if I want to learn better study habits so I can become the type of person that does well? I was a dumb fuck in school because I didn't understand the concept of discipline and I was coddled through low level classes.

Also, my mother never graduated high school, didn't have employment, and both my siblings dropped out of school. I was raised in an environment that didn't teach the values of what it truly means to be successful and productive in society. My point is not to put the blame off of myself, but that I now realize I fucked up and want to develop/learn the qualities that all my peers did growing up.

>>17559951
I don't have willpower because I have nothing to work towards. I live at home where there's no consequence or reward; no incentive. I also tried getting a job, but even there I failed miserably because I couldn't follow the simplest of instructions. I quit because I don't want the money, and they would be better off hiring literally anyone else other than me.

I know this is all pathetic, and I'll get people telling me to kill myself. I agree with that, that's why I want to improve.
>>
>>17559965
>What if I want to learn better study habits so I can become the type of person that does well?
That's something you have to deal with before you study, not during. And if you think you're one of those 'is actually smart but doesn't put in the effort' people, chances are you're not.

> I also tried getting a job, but even there I failed miserably because I couldn't follow the simplest of instructions.
You're REALLY going to struggle at a university then.

If you really want to change, get a job and try to fix your habits there. Don't fucking waste thousands on something you'll probably never finish anyway
>>
>>17559971
>And if you think you're one of those 'is actually smart but doesn't put in the effort' people, chances are you're not.

That's right, I am not. I realize I'm a loser, but I want to become better.

>Don't fucking waste thousands on something you'll probably never finish anyway

If it changes anything, I have the opportunity to have free tuition for any state university [in my state].

My question is that would getting a job teach the same skills? I forgot to mention that I did do volunteering at one point, which I did pretty well with, but I feel like it still lacks that "incentive", in the sense that there's no employment process (they'll accept anybody regardless of your skills), and it there isn't much responsibility put in place since you're not getting paid.

Would volunteering do the same thing in this case?
>>
OP, contact me at the following: [email protected]
>>
>>17560041
Why? Do I know you?
>>
>>17560051
More advice, it's just that I don't like posting on excessively on /adv/.

Plus, improvement is a process rather than one-off. Going to /adv/ once isn't going to work in the long run; you need constant feedback, encouragement, etc.
>>
>>17559940
Not once in your post did you mention that you are a road cyclist. If you picked up road cycling, learned how to get super sonic fast, got /fit/, got confident and lived for something other than instant gratification women would be drawn to you.

Right now you're fishing with your own fecal matter as bait and wondering why you aren't catching any fish.

1. Get a road bicycle, a lock, a set of lights, a floor pump and a patch repair kit

2. Ride it every day, commute to work/school on your bicycle

3. After a month join a club, make friends with the cyclists at the club, go on group rides. You'll be too slow at first - listen to their wisdom.

4. Become a self actualised human being worthy of love.

We live in the most narcissistic generation in the history of humanity. You need to constantly challenge yourself physically, mentally and constantly crush ambivalence and negativity. Once you start to succeed at cycling the rest of your life will click into place.
>>
>>17560102
I've already done the same thing with other hobbies. Yes, it does bring me enjoyment and helps me improve as a person, but not in the way that people say is valuable to society.

I can roadbike, or any other hobby for that matter, as much as I want, but at the end of the day I feel like most people will still be asking "Are you studying/Do you have a degree?", "Do you have a job?", "Have you moved out yet?", "Are you in a relationship?".

For most of my life, I really didn't give a shit about any of that stuff. Now, I feel like people have been shedding light on my situation; telling me that I've been naive and wrong the whole time.

Are you saying I should just go back to the way I was, but go farther with it?
>>
>>17560087
I already see a therapist who I discuss these same things with.
>>
>>17560123
Well alrighty. Just offering.
>>
>>17560114
Cycling is important because exercise regulates your mood. It gives you endorphins, keeps you in shape and gives you energy.

What you need to do is go cycling every day.

Apply for university.

Apply for jobs like it is your job, tailor your resume so that you have a hospitality, a retail and a call centre resume.

But mostly keep on cycling.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.