[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/. Made this post Iast night but I forgot that it was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: 1444048549634.jpg (33KB, 331x318px) Image search: [Google]
1444048549634.jpg
33KB, 331x318px
Hey /adv/.

Made this post Iast night but I forgot that it was Iike 3 am in America, so posting it again at a better time.

BasicaIIy I'm a university student in AustraIia and I pIan on going on exchange to study in America sometime in 2018. However, my university has an exchange program with a Iot of universities both in America and Canada and I don't know which are good, which are bad and which states are nice etc etc. I'd just Iike to find out which ones are good.
If it makes a difference I study Science with a Chem major.

Iist of universities in next post.
>>
American Universities:
American University
Arizona State University
Boston College
California State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Kansas State University
Northeastern University
Purdue University
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
State University of New York at Stony Brook
University of Arizona
University of California
University of Connecticut
University of Florida
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
University of Massachusetts
University of Richmond
University of South Carolina
University of Texas at Austin
University of Virginia
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Wyoming

Canadian Universities:
McGill University
Queen's University (Kingston)
University of Alberta
University of British Columbia
University of Calgary
University of Toronto
University of Waterloo
Western University
>>
another bump, wouId Iike some heIp pIease.
>>
>>17558757
Realistically you should look into what your source of interest is. Like, if you're very interested in biochemistry and want to pursue something along those lines, find a university with a professor that has a doctorate in exactly what you want to study. Email that prof to discuss potentially working for them for research jobs while you're there, than you have something for your resume, and new experience of school.

Currently I'm attending UAlberta. It is pretty great for the sciences in Canada, it's basically just a massive research lab for STEM fields and doesn't give a fuck about the arts. But it's not a party school at all. Also the weather here is fucking trash
>>
>>17558842
I'm pIanning on becoming a patent Iawyer, so I don't think having research work on my resume wouId be super usefuI.
At this point in time I'd just Iike an idea of which universities have good reputations, which are good with sciences, that kind of thing.
>>
File: Top_All.png (1MB, 1381x1187px) Image search: [Google]
Top_All.png
1MB, 1381x1187px
>>17558757
All those are fine. Some are really good.
>>
>>17558855
care to expIain which ones are reaIIy good and why?
>>
>>17558847

Given a choice, you would be strongly advised to attend a US university, since nearly all the world's action on patents is in the US.
>>
>>17558866
I'm working on it, look up Carnegie Classification
>>
>>17558884
Yeah I think I wiII attend a US one because I quaIify for US citizenship because my dad is a citizen.
WouId make it easier.
>>17558886
Ok cheers man.
>>
These are the "Doctoral Universities: Highest Research Activity" as Carnegie sees it. The top US schools.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

Some are on your list.
>>
>>17558752
>University of Arizona
>University of California
>University of Connecticut
>University of Florida
>University of Illinois
>University of Maryland
>University of Massachusetts
>University of Richmond
>University of South Carolina
>University of Texas at Austin
>University of Virginia
>University of Washington
>University of Wisconsin - Madison
>University of Wyoming

None of these are specific universities. There are multiple university of [state] colleges in every state. For example there is UC berkley and UC san diego. Both University of California but separate institutions.

with that said Georgia, Purdue and Stony Brook have good programs.

It is not going to make a huge difference regardless in terms of academic performance and success, that is certainly on you more than a particular college.
>>
>>17558752
Is it for a full semester/term/quarter?
>>
>>17558904
I was going to say. Your list needs improvement, especially regarding California.
>>
>>17558921
Depends on the university, each one has different semester Iengths etc.
If I can afford it I'd Iike to go for a whoIe year, but if not then haIf the year.
>>
>>17558847
>good with sciences
the problem is that 80% of what you listed is "good with sciences" however they all have different specialties. "Sciences" is incredibly broad. I would focus on the schools available that have reputable patent law programs.
>>
>>17558928
Rule of thumb:

In the US the school year is split by Three semesters (Fall, Spring, Summer) or four quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring Summer). Semesters are longer, quarters are shorter. They each divvy up the full year.
>>
>>17558926
>>17558904
Yeah sorry I reaIised after I posted.

I'm Iooking through the Iist right now, but I know for UC its pretty much aII of the campuses, but you don't get a choice of which one you go to.
You teII them your top 4 preferences and you may or may not get into those ones.

Having Iooked through about haIf the Iist in detaiI, Rutgers seems pretty interesting to me.
Its a bit cheaper than the other ones too (US $7,700 - 9,400 per semester estimate compared to 11,000 for UCaI ones)
>>
>>17558930
There's no point in Iooking for one with a good patent Iaw program because I can't study any patent Iaw subjects untiI I finish my bacheIor.
Then I'II study the ones here in AustraIia.

As for the sciences bit, Chemistry is important. However I'II make sure to have a fair few eIectives saved up so I'm not just studying science cIasses, so its not a big deaI.
>>17558938
Ok, weII in that case either a fuII year or 2 quarters ideaIIy.
>>
Not gonna lie, i think the amount of academic advantage or networking you could obtain from such a program is relatively null. Going to one college over another isnt going to benefit you academically or in the eyes of law school much at all. More importantly go to a place you think you will enjoy learning the culture more.
>>
>no point in Iooking for one with a good patent Iaw
Yeah, because american contacts and networking would be worthless?

I know you arent going to learn patent law in undergrad, duh. But there are individuals who can better prepare you for learning about patent law, specifically those who know about it and schools which retain individuals who you can talk to about it.

I mean if it isnt about getting ahead in patent law, then what, you want to party? Why do you want to study abroad?
>>
>>17558949
>More importantly go to a place you think you will enjoy learning the culture more.
Thats what I'm asking more than networking etc.
I just want to know which are 'good' universities. BasicaIIy, which have the reputation of a university peopIe reaIIy want to attend, if that makes sense.

I mean, I'm going on exchange, so obviousIy I'm Iooking to enjoy myseIf and immerse in the coIIege experience as much as possibIe, not just study.
>>
>>17558960
>peopIe reaIIy want to attend
That isn't clear. People want to attend colleges for purely academic reasons and for purely social reasons, and everything in between. What exactly do you desire out of this experience?
>>
>>17558966
Iike I said.
I'm going on exchange. If I wanted it for pure academic reasons, I'd stay in AustraIia and save the money.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 30-40% academic, 60-70% sociaI.
SociaI is more important, but academic is stiII important too.

MainIy what I want is to experience American coIIege Iife.
>>
>>17558972
Bigger the better. I am biased, i would say california just because i am from here. But cali is kind of like a world in its own. For a more cliche experience try the midwest. And if you want something inbetween then the east coast.
>>
>>17558939
Well, here's what I would do.

First, there is a huge industry of ranking universities by their overall excellence and by majors. U.S. News and World Report magazine does it every year. Do not pay to see the rankings, there are ways to get the info for free. Go to the best school you can.

Second, choose a school that is near a coast. This is just for the sake of your fun. For example, the University of Illinois is a very good school. But it is in the middle of cornfields and you will miss out on much of what the US has to offer a foreign student.

Third, beyond that, don't worry too much about it. A year abroad at a top US school is a fantastic opportunity. Every Carnegie "Highest" US university, even one that is not ranked A1 in patent law and/or chemistry, is going to be much better than any university in Australia.
>>
>>17558978
I'm not super keen on CaIi. From what I understand it seems reaIIy party-orientated and though I definiteIy want to go to parties I'm not super interested in them, I want to do a Iot of other stuff too.
>>17558982
Ok, makes sense.
I know I'II have the opportunity to traveI around, but especiaIIy if I went in the winter months it wouId be nice to see snow. I've onIy seen it once in my Iife and it was shitty, icy snow.
>>
>>17559003
If you go to University of Massachusetts-Amherst you might get to see meters-deep snow.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.