[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is >"I'm honest with people" A codephrase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1471787116671.png (100KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471787116671.png
100KB, 500x500px
Is

>"I'm honest with people"

A codephrase for

>I say hurtful or otherwise socially unacceptable things and am unnecessarily blunt with everything

Because it seems like everyone I've met that describes themselves as "honest" (as in, with other people's faults and the like) turns out to just be a massive prick who has zero tact and zero social skills. It seems like almost every interaction with people who describe themselves that way has shitflinging, genuine insults, and general petty bullshit. I get the impression they mistake honesty with not thinking about what they say before they say it.
>>
>>17557696

pretty much, yeah.

being honest is telling your friend 'you've gained too much weight, and i think you should go on a diet'. being a prick is 'god damn you're so fat, dont you have any self control?'

honesty implies that there is a reason for it to be said. that to not say it would be a lie.

if you just think someones fat, they already know it. but if you are pushing them to lose weight, telling them respectfully and tactfully is how you get them to do it. and if oyu dont care if they lose weight, than there is no reason to 'be honest' with them.

so yeah, ur pretty spot on. its even worse when people dont even say anything remotely true and still claim 'IM JUST BEING HONEST'.

They use it to glorify themselves.
>>
>>17557696
Grow a thicker skin faggot.
>>
No, and you shouldn't use your past negative experience warp your entire view on honesty

Honestly you sound like a high schooler if you can't tell the difference between people who are genuinely honest and people who are not nice. Being genuine is a pretty noticeable trait and if you can't realize that, you should stop being around shitty people, to be honest
>>
I knew a couple where the girl was like this. She'd say pretty damn hurtful things to him about sensitive topics and when I told her she was being awful to him she just said "I'm just being honest!"

And I mean she was flat out insulting him whenever she saw fit. Of course, they broke up when the guy had enough of her shit and she cried for weeks for him to come back, promising to change.

People like

>>17557727

Need to understand the concept of verbal and emotional abuse. If you're constantly insulting, berating, making fun of, and belittling your partner or someone close to you, you're abusive. Guising it under "I'm being honest!" Is bullshit.
>>
>>17557735
I'm not talking about people who are genuinely honest. I'm talking about those who call themselves honest and use it to defend themselves when they say something hurtful/generally unacceptable to say.
>>
>>17557756

so ur basically saying asking 'ARE PEOPLE WHO ARENT BEING HONEST NOT BEING HONEST?'

think about the thread you made.
>>
>>17557696
Kind of, yes. For me it's:
>i'll honestly speak my mind, and if anyone's hurt or offended by it, that's not my problem
I do this myself, and it works. I alienate a few people here and there, but the vast majority of people like me.
I guess i also use a rule that helps with this: if i'm thinking something negative, i don't say it out loud unless it can actually help that person.
If a dude has his fly unzipped or is wearing clothes that don't match, i'll tell him.
But if he's ugly, i'll keep it to myself unless he asks me how attractive i think he is.

>>17557696
>I get the impression they mistake honesty with not thinking about what they say before they say it.
I love interacting with these people, more than anyone else.
It just feels so good to not have to filter out everything, and to hear straight talk from people instead of the normal mind-numbingly boring socially-acceptable bullshit and small talk i hear from everyone else.

The funny thing is that I met a girl last year who was like that (just blurted out everything that popped into her head) and she's one of the kindest, most caring people i know.
She never insulted anyone, because that's not what was going through her head!

Oh and why are you on 4chan in the first place? I'm here because i really do want to know what people are thinking, and i don't give a flying shit if it's considered offensive or abrasive or politically incorrect or whatever.

>>17557756
Being an asshole and being honest are not mutually exclusive.
Dishonest assholes (eg most sociopaths) are thinking all sorts of bad shit about you, but they'll compliment you to your face.
Honest assholes will insult you to your face.
I like the latter better than the former, personally.
>>
>>17557749

This.
>>
Yes. Tactfully honest people don't need to describe themselves as honest to act as a disclaimer for them being assholes.
>>
>>17557696
We didn't like you in /pol/ and we don't like you here.
Stupid Romanian.
>>
>>17557696

That's right, OP. You've described the situation exactly, which is why I put people who say shit like that on my avoid list whenever possible.
>>
Yeah, kinda. But I usually say what everyone else is thinking but not saying. You can be honest without being a douche.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.