[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best long term cure for depression? and yes,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (98KB, 900x877px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 900x877px
What is the best long term cure for depression?

and yes, i have a hobby
>>
>>17557296
24h Vidya isn't a hobby. Do something creative instead.
>>
>>17557296
What's your hobby?

Try doing something for yourself, either start working out and eating healthy, or you can find some friends, since I assume you lack them and socialize with others who have similar, but not totally the same interests as you.
>>
>>17557296
get into something that helps you look at things more positively like certain areas of philosophy. making plans helps too as you have things to look forward too, I normally go out with my friends once or twice a week. what hobby do you have?
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>17557309
>24h vidya isn't a hobby
>>
Therapy. Medication if your psyciatrist thinks it necessary.
>>
>>17557317
I'm super into history, I collect books, airfix kits, watch documentaries, listen to period music. when i'm not working it's basically my life

it's autistic i know

but it keeps me going
>>
>>17557333
do you have friends?
>>
>>17557317
i have friends but they're shallow and I can't connect with them

i open myself up to them but they never open up to me
>>
>>17557342
>>17557343
I really want a genuine friend who i can depend upon but i've never found one
>>
>>17557333
I'm very deep into history as well. Start talking to others about topics you find interesting. It can be something normieish like World Wars, Romans etc., or something like talking about diadochi. Try discussing politics or shit like that, but just try.

>>17557343
Find new friends, or someone who'll interest you.

I think I have the same problem. My classmates are very dull and annoying, try socializing with someone older. This summer, for me, was the best, because I had an amazing group of people, students of age 20-22, and we talked about life and all kinds of shit. It was really great, we even had a moment were we talked about problems and everyone started crying and the whole atmosphere was very depressive, but it was amazing to share personal stuff with someone like that.
>>
>>17557296
For me it's probably going to be therapy, then medication. I went the meds only route and it fucking SUCKED. 6-12 months and then I build up a tolerance, side effects, its not fun.

There are a couple sites now that host online therapy, which I'm planning on trying out. Meeting them in your own home might put your mind at ease, and the prices are generally the same.

If you're up for it, look into a thing called transcranial magnetic stimulation. You might get a small short headache after the procedure, but people swear up and down by it. This usually requires the okay of 2-3 medical professionals, one of which has to be a psychiatrist or psychologist.
>>
>>17557296

Pills + Psychotherapy. Go visit a doctor (psychiatrist). Get diagnosed, get pharmacological support. But mostly - hit the therapy.

Many people will tell you about their fucked up experiences with pills and stupid doctors. Please, be aware - not all pills would work, but today there is so much variety, that you'll eventually hit the right spot. Search, work, give yourself a chance.

Good luck anon. I send you my best wishes, suffering from depression and being a psychologist myself.
>>
File: 1472855616290.jpg (86KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1472855616290.jpg
86KB, 612x612px
>>
File: 1472161682413.jpg (327KB, 1808x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472161682413.jpg
327KB, 1808x1080px
>>17557333
>liking clubbing, drugs and casual sex is considered cool
>liking history and collecting books is considered autistic
>mfw

Why does the world have to be like this?
>>
>>17557296
>What is the best long term cure for depression?
Which kind?

The thing about depression is that it's not really a condition, per se. It's a symptom common to many different conditions, which have different causes and, because of that, different treatments. Many of these condtions are very hard to tell apart -some of them don't even have names yet- and we are not qualified to diagnose here on /adv/ anyway. Even most professional testing, at this point, only gets you into the general family of conditions; after that, it's a matter of experimenting with different treatments to see what works.

I'm sorry to hear that you're hurting. I've been through this too. I've had treatments fail; I've even had a paradox reaction (and holy fucking hell did THAT suck). The whole damn process sucks. But with the current state of the art in human psychological knowledge, if you want to get better, this is what you need to do.
>>
Give church a try, it helped me. I found the Catholic churches to be the most helpful with my struggle. It made me feel I was apart of something bigger and my life had meaning.
>>
Exercising.
>>
>>17557452
The World isn't like this, you just haven't met the right people yet. Good luck
>>
File: 1466967568994.gif (2MB, 370x319px) Image search: [Google]
1466967568994.gif
2MB, 370x319px
>>17557296

Therapy, and if your psychiatrist deems it necessary, medication.

Clinical depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain. Its a physiological abnormality inside of you that doesn't care about how into your hobby you are or how motivated you are to look on the brighter side of life.

It isn't something that can be cured by "focusing on positivity" or picking up knitting. There is no home remedy for clinical depression.

Go to a medical professional. Doing surface things like working out, eating healthy and surrounding yourself with positive people and stimulus definitely won't hurt but don't depend on these things to cure your depression.

You're sick, go to a doctor. Its that simple.
>>
>>17557452
i like to do both except drugs. i have never actually met another guys that is into collecting book and stuff like that. i cant bull shit, i imagine a guy who likes to stay in to be socially inept. i feel like the problem is that who is not the stuff that you describe dont do both, its one or the other.
>>
>>17557452

>Why does the world have to be like this?

It isn't. Everyone is trying to compensate for something. Whether your hobbies are surrounding yourself with things intellectual or turning your brain off and grinding with strangers we're all trying to fill the holes in our lives that we find lacking. We do it because we're different.

There are plenty of people who are into the arts and music and think clubs and drugs are dumb. There are plenty of people who like dance festivals and cocaine and think that history buffs are a bunch of virgin nerds.

You figure out who you are and then you find a community of like minded people. Thats what humanity is. Stop constantly comparing yourself to the groups of people who don't like the same things you like and you won't feel so attacked all of the time.

The world isn't against you, you just haven't found your tribe yet.
>>
>>17557296
>best long term cure
Studies say that it's a combination of current-generation antidepressants and CBT. >>17557399, >>17557378, and >>17557839 are right.

But let's be honest, treating depression is not a simple or straightforward process, and you may have to try a dozen approaches before finding one that works for you.

>>17557378
TMS and ECT are short-term options for severe depression. They wear off in a few weeks to a month or so.

>>17557841
>i imagine a guy who likes to stay in to be socially inept.
Not necessarily true at all. Some people have very good social skills but simply prefer to be alone (look at schizoids for an extreme case of this).
>>
>>17557851
>. Some people have very good social skills but simply prefer to be alone

well, yeah, i agree that it isnt true for all people but im just saying, i think most people who like to be alone suffer from social anxiety, i know from experience, and people i know.
>>
>>17557350
Didnt you make a thread like yesterday?
Because your description sounds very similar to the thread I saw. Were your friends living in a different area?
>>
>>17557851
Yeah I forgot to mention that, TMS is usually multiple sessions long. Mah B dawg. Getting over that depressive hump is really beneficial for future treatment. Really all of those suggestions should be tried together, but sometimes thats just not how things work out.
>>
suicide is always an option
>>
Buy and try art supplies. Learn about them. Fetishize owning various brands of different mediums. Do shitty artwork just because. Do it because if you don't, van Gogh will break into your house, gag and anally rape you.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>17557839
Kek, that gif is funn--WAIT, does the right end of the stick phase through the bridge?!
>>
>>17557333
This is actually a really cool hobby
>>
>>17558582

I thought that I was the only person who did this. I'm particularly fond of wood pencils and lead holders. I love sharpening my pencils and using a sandpaper pad to get them nice and sharp. I always tell myself that I'm going to start drawing again, but I never do. I sure love buying drawing supplies, though.
>>
>>17557296

Day-long jack-off sessions.
>>
>>17557296
Lots - I mean 6+ hours a day - of exercise outdoors. Learned this while I was homeless...
>>
find the reason
make steps forward eliminating the reason
>>
>>17557452
Finding people with likeminded hobbies is 90% location location location. Look somewhere scholarly, and consider moving to such a place. Big cities also contain a wide sample size, to the point where you could whore yourself out to a different every night in NYC.
Even though the small beach town I'm in is godly for an established person, I'm gonna get the fuck out of here ASAP. Too many cuntry gurls and neanderthals.
>>
>>17557296
Escapism.

Anime, vidya, that kinda stuff.

When they stop working? Pretend they still do.
>>
File: bigcat.jpg (89KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
bigcat.jpg
89KB, 700x700px
>>17558582
Ohhhh yeah
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.