[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to make a bit of mead for fun and personal use(family

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: ancientorangemeadandgrape.jpg (247KB, 1366x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ancientorangemeadandgrape.jpg
247KB, 1366x1600px
I'm trying to make a bit of mead for fun and personal use(family brews plum brandy for generation, guess it's in the blood).
Got almost all the ingredients needed.
Nice honey, thick glass vessel, way to keep CO2 from pilling up, extra things to give it a nice flavour.
But i don't know what to do about yeast.
All the guides say you should get it from your local brewer, but i don't have that around here, and buying it online means i have to pay for way more than i need+postage.
Was thinking of gathering some of that foam that forms on the top from plum fermentation(apparently it's also used to make nice, fluffy donuts) but i fear contamination and giving the thing a weird taste, or using household baker's yeast, but i don't know if that stuff will survive when alcohol starts forming in decent concentration, or if it will give the brew a bread-y taste
Wat do?
>>
Ask the guys you bought your equipment from where they get their yeast. Odds are they can hook you up with a good source. I split a large internet order with three other guys who brew their own like I do, but your access and ability to procure ingredients is going to be specific to where you're located.
>>
Oh cool OP, I made mead with my friends in a dorm room when I was a freshman lol. If I recall, we just bought all purpose/baker's yeast from the grocery store and it worked fine. We also added orange slices and raisins for extra sugar/flavor. Good luck, and don't forget to sterilize the shit out of that shit!!
>>
>>17550748
>Ask the guys you bought your equipment from where they get their yeast.
My equipment is some stuff from the old house.
>>
>>17550770
Ah gotcha. Bought mine at a fancy liquor supply store.
>>
Meadbro here.

Baker's yeast will work in a pinch. It's not the best-tasting option, nor will it yield especially strong mead, but it works well enough. At the very least it will allow you to get a feel for the process, and then graduate to more "suitable" yeasts as you git gud.

Wild yeast can also work, but this can be even more iffy than the bakers' stuff. I'm not familiar with the fermentatiom of plums: is it a purely yeast-based fermentation process, or is there a bacterial component?

Another option would be to learn how to culture yeast yourself. That would free you up to buy yeast online once, and then produce more of your own as you brew.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.