[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't expect this thread to go well at all, but here goes.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 1473222568425.jpg (65KB, 935x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473222568425.jpg
65KB, 935x720px
I don't expect this thread to go well at all, but here goes. I'm 29. I've never even tried initiating speaking to a girl before. As in, speaking to someone I didn't already know.

This is not something I did when I was younger, or even as I got older. It was a thing that I was not able to do. I had a very isolated childhood, teenhood, and young-adulthood. You wouldn't envy it.

I'm not a virgin but that's only because of meeting someone online, and that's not going to happen again.

I don't drink, and I don't have friends in the area.
I wanna state those two things again. I do not drink. I will not be drinking. No drink. And friends in the area. There are friends, but they are far away. I'm sorry to repeat those two things so much, but there are dumdums who ignore it.

I'm decent looking I guess. Distant friends say nice things about my appearance when they see me. And I'm not fat. But I am 5'7. I can't help but feel there's a level of experience that I'm expected to have by now, for women around my age range to respond well to the thing I'm trying to do. And if I'm gonna fail at it, I want to learn from it. So it can't be a no win scenario like trying to single one girl out of three (and this is most of what I see out there, at any of the places people normally suggest by the way.)

Given this situation, where do you begin? Where do you go? People suggest bookstores, libraries, and shit like that. Never any prospects happening there. I used to hang around these places a LOT.
>>
Halp me /adv/.
>>
>>17546687
Look into local things too do great way too meet people
>>
>>17546691
Yeah?
>>
File: 1471464870147.png (102KB, 275x327px) Image search: [Google]
1471464870147.png
102KB, 275x327px
>>17546633
Honestly, anon? Go to a PUA meeting, preferably an RSD one. After years of suffering over not being able to pick up girls, I decided to throw all my self-respect into the garbage and attend one of those things.

It worked and it made me feel better.

I'm not even shilling their stuff (you don't have to pay for the free programs/meetings), and I still feel a bit icky about it, but it actually worked and, besides, beggars can't be choosers.

Alternatively, you can try a more normal approach; in other words, looking for people with similar hobbies.
>>
Are you me OP, i havent had any friends for the past 15 yrs
>>
>>17546961
>looking for people with similar hobbies.
Well anon, those girls would have to be indoors all the time.

My hobbies involve a lot of practice and solitude.
>>
Really /adv/? Nothing?
>>
>>17546633

make friends, use their social networks to meet eligible women. this is god's way.
>>
Go to a bar and drink alcohol
>>
>>17548584

make beer and drink your friends
>>
File: 1469497549809.jpg (108KB, 640x630px) Image search: [Google]
1469497549809.jpg
108KB, 640x630px
>>17546961

Not OP, but any online materials for this sort of thing?

I am pretty much fine when I get past the initial "breaking the ice"; I'm not socially retarded, I've made friends and dated before. But I have 0 experience in turning strangers into real people, and that's my failing point.
>>
Libraries etc is bullshit. First of all start making friends from your environment. For example if you are working start from there. Else you can join an activity or something. Also,the first people that you will go out,maybe will not be the best,but it is a start. Last but lot least,stop fear of talking to a woman!
>>
>>17548612
>stop fear of talking to a woman!
It's not really the fear it's the non-viability of it.

This post here, look: >>17548592 I never knew there was such a concise way to put it.
>>
>>17546633

> I can't help but feel there's a level of experience that I'm expected to have by now,

this tells me you're deficit in other areas of life too.

this isn't something you can easily quantify with levels of experience, you understand? interpersonal comfort comes from self confidence as you move from one situation to the next.
>>
>>17548722
Well yeah but. As for practical advice, though.
>>
Never let it be said that /adv/ gives advice.
>>
Curious, why the staunch no-drinking-whatsoever?

Also? Where do you live?
>>
>>17546633
Nobody goes to fucking libraries and shit.
Start fucking drinking. Unless you have a good reason not to (which you probably don't), you need to get over your irrational fear of exposing your real self in front of people and go to a damn bar
>>
>>17551664
You sound stupid
>>
>>17550816
>>17551664
There's no public transportation. I couldn't drive back from anywhere I drive to without breaking the law.

And aside from that I don't actually like drinking because it's a depressant, and it does what depressants do.

>Also? Where do you live?
Hampton Roads.
>>
This has been the most disappointing thread I've made yet.

I didn't say anything truly that bridgeburning in my opening post.
>>
>>17546633
>I've never even tried initiating speaking to a girl before

>where do you begin?

Just going to leave that here.
>>
Tinder.
>>
Ok here is a thought do you play Pokemon go? Depends on the location this game is starting to bring out the introverted and the socially awkward out in public places. This is an opportunity to talk to some of them and get to know them. This not only works to meet people but go places you haven't been before. Just like everything else be careful and safe and use common sense.
>>
>>17552468
Are ya
>>
>>17552468
Epic.
>>
/adv/.

This is pathetic. Where's the advice? This is basic as fuck.
>>
Is this really the question that's too hard for /adv/ to pretend to know the answer?
>>
>>17546633
maybe I can help OP, I don't post often but your thread didn't attract many helpful replies

so if I have this right
>29
>nothing wrong with you
>just never had a lot of social contact

so do you have a job?
do you drive?
do you like in the country or the city?
>>
>>17555462
No job at the moment. (That won't be the solution either)
I do drive.
Hampton Roads.

What have you got?
>>
eHarmony
>>
>>17555505
No more online suggestions.
>>
>>17555483
haha I'm not a chart book m8, I don't know where hampton roads is

if you want people in your life, the way I see it there are three key elements
1. having room for people in your life
2. inviting people into your life
3. people wanting to be in your life

seems a bit basic maybe, but no point starting anywhere but the start

having room for people in your life can mean being emotionally stable, having a house a partner can move into or that friends can visit, having a phone and being contactable when others want to contact you

inviting people into your life has to do with openness and being outgoing
you have to surround yourself with people, I met a lot of people through work, school, hobby groups
but it's not enough just having people around, you need to connect with them
breaking the ice with strangers is hard for everyone, but a stranger isn't the love of your life or your best friend; really there isn't much at stake
ask yourself "do i initiate social contact with people?"
you're not trying to be a pickup artist, just be friendly

whether people will want to be in your life is complicated, because people are so different
generally the more agreeable you are, the more friends you will have
if you are friendlier, generally more friends
if you are positive, more friends

when someone says "how are you doing"
do you say "great" or "I have a terrible headache"
understand social taboos and avoid them, sex, politics, religion. good rule of thumb

in practical terms?
plan on going to some kind of event, music thing, sports match, whatever
try to learn a bit about it before you go
go out into the world, be friendly, say hi to people who look friendly, try to strike up a conversation
if you get along with someone, let them know
"well hey, I come here a bit; say hi next time you're in"
"I'm trying to get a few people together to go/see/do this thing etc

it seems like you've had some setbacks socially, but you cant retreat every time that happens
>>
>>17555580
>plan on going to some kind of event, music thing, sports match, whatever
Does it really gotta be one of these things that doesn't happen very often?

Because christ that sucks.
>>
>>17556277
it's not a hard and fast, it's just to help bridge that gap between "someone I talked to once" and "someone I'd hang out with by myself"
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.