[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for tips and advice in a music career. I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1465971158490.gif (1MB, 309x225px) Image search: [Google]
1465971158490.gif
1MB, 309x225px
Looking for tips and advice in a music career. I've been playing guitar for 6 years now and know an alright understanding of recording and software like ableton. I'm taking a short course on recording and software at college (tafe for us ausfags) and after planning to do a diploma for music. I understand all the memes about a music career compared to STEM or something and the difficulty of 'getting famous' but I have a huge passion for it. Any shit to look out for or do, or any other similar anons tell me about your experience.
>>
Quit and get a real job.

Going to school for music is literal basket weaving.
>>
>Any shit to look out for or do
stop that, it's stupid.
>>
>>17546023
elaborate desu
>>
>>17545999
You should be pretty talented and be able to work and practice hard. If you got these abilities you should go for it! If its to work as a musician other than in the original artist sense, those skills and networking should get you a career.
>>
>>17546031
I have a family friend that its connected as fuck apparently in the music/film industry, but I still have no idea how this can realistically help me.
>>
>>17545999
Go for a music degree if you plan on focusing on composing.

Musicians are a dime a dozen, but someone who can create music is rare.
>>
>>17546050
where the fuck to begin with composing
>>
>>17546142

Art-schooling from HS, getting into a good University with a musical faculty, networking.
>>
>>17546150
Thanks m8 good shit
>>
>>17546048

The music industry is a business. Like any other industry, obviously. There's a demand, and you have to supply if you want to go high. No one gives a shit about your talent or passion if you're not marketable. If pretty faces and poppy songs with lame lyrics is what sells, you have to do that, or you can go niché and enjoy working at Starbucks to supplement your Youtube contract and 6 spotify listeners.

I worked at 2 recording studios in Europe, same shit at both places. One was in NL, with artists coming from all over the world, and one was in my small homecountry. Saw the exact same BS over and over again. Worst one?

>Homecountry
>5 men band, talented as fuck
>Good vibes, good music, very original
>Contract comes, they sign
>"Let's do a poppy one, 2 songs by the end of the week
>They turn out fine
>"Alright, here's what you gotta do..."
>cue Average pop-band 101
>Sounds like shit
>"It's perfect guys, fucking brilliant! I'll pitch it."

1 month later:

>They didn't bite, bb is okay we'll try again
>They don't
>TFW they have a multi-year contract with no music being produced
>Selling music on their own is a breach of contract, even if it's uploaded on fucking Youtube

And this guys, is how a label got to try out a band desperate for success by paying the studio fees and less than that to the musicians.

TL;DR: Know your legal shit, make compromises in your art, sell yourself out, have shitloads of luck, and then you might survive for more than a year. You can try what many indie-bands do and try self-promotion via social media, but you know how most of them end up. For every succesful musician there are thousands with the same "skills" working menial jobs because their dreams were crushed.
>>
>>17546197
ill try avoid the jew then. Another thing to add is while I might try get a good start in music I may decide to full go into sound engineering or producing. Is this any better than just a musician?
>>
>>17546301
Sound-engineering can lend you a job fairly easily if you know what you're doing. A million times better than being a musician. You have something other than talent to show to begin with, and your expertise doesn't depend on current trends and marketability as much. Even if you don't make it in the music industry at the start, you can land a job just by knowing where to put a mic or how to set up the whole set. Even if you do "grunt work", since you most likely won't work alone, you can continue networking. That's more than what musicians without any technical expertise can say, they can't find a job close to people in their field as easily.

Producing is meh imo. Where I worked, there were a couple of producers, all fairly known in the business, and they weren't about letting new people in. Most of the time they're unoriginal and I saw no difference between their works. They know that there are shitloads of people who could handle the same jobs for less money, so they cling to their image and name-recognition. I could list many counter-examples, but your ran off the mill producer will either mentor you or keep you in check so you're not competition.

Ironically, you'll want to make some Jewish friends. They're Godmode for networking thanks to how tight-knit some of their communities are. I met my former employer in a Synagogue thanks to a Jewish friend. Just read before you sign and have the balls to say no. It's in their interests to fuck you over to some extent, but you can still make cash, and if you're really, really lucky, outgrow them in the end.
>>
>>17546371
kek my before mentioned family friend is jewish, then nothing to worry about friendo.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.