[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really need some insight here, /adv/. Here's the problem:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: 1473088463147.png (86KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1473088463147.png
86KB, 512x512px
I really need some insight here, /adv/.

Here's the problem:
I've been in a relationship for 2+ years with a guy who has an obsession with his phone (social media) and his games. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind his hobbies but I feel like he is too dependant on them to where it negatively affects our relationship.

Whenever we are chilling at home, he will be lost in his own little world for hours on end. I try to interact with him and it goes nowhere unless it's about whatever he is wrapped up in. I don't want to talk about his shitty mmo or his favorite fucking subscribers on jewtube. He shows no interest in actually spending time with me. When we are out places he can't even be bothered to start a conversation and I'm tired of being the instegator. Same for our sex life.
He can go the entire day without messaging me, but one simple message from his online buddies and he answers in a flash.

This has been a problem from the get go for me but he never seen it as one. Is it really just me? Am I asking for too much by simply wanting his time and attention? What can I do to resolve this?
>>
>>17545755
It's fine that you feel entitled to at least a little bit of his attention.
Talk to him and try to resolve it.
If you don't resolve it, you either stay with him or try and find a new mate.
Very simple.
Good luck, senpai.
>>
>>17545755

Been there, done that. Only thing you can do is have a serious chat about it, during which he'll promise to try more, but most likely it will only work for a while. I was in a relationship like this and when I one day realised I was lonelier in it than I'd ever been before I walked. Give it a shot, maybe he'll listen, but don't drag it on if you start to feel actually awful about it. Some attention and time isn't too much to ask in a relationship.
>>
>>17545756
I've talked to him many times before about this, but nothing changes. I'm left alone to do my own thing. I don't have many friends or much of a social life, could that be my fault for expecting to fulfill it with him? I really only care about interacting with him and enjoying his time.
>>
>>17545755
How old is he? If he is in his 20s id suggest jump ship. Unless the girl/boy is also into the hobby, that kind of relationship wont last and gamers tend to make poor partners long term bar some exceptions.
>>
>>17545755
You're wrong and you're right at the same time.

He has a dependency issue on his phone and games, I wouldn't go as far as to say it's an addiction yet but it's halfway there. Because of this, it's still his prerogative to decide whether his vidya and tech is more important than you and he's entirely within his rights to decide his own value system, just as you are within your rights to decide if that value system is compatible with you.

So telling him to quit it would be overstepping boundaries, but it would be beneficial for him and your relationship if he'd learn to get off the computer and phone for a while. Does he have any hobbies outside of watching youtube/playing games? Something that doesn't involve looking at a screen?

I have to say though, at least try to entertain his interests if you care about him. You got into this relationship because you like him, and that includes his obsession with a shitty mmo and shitty youtubers. At the very least just don't make him feel like a piece of shit for trying to engage with you about something he likes or else he's going to end up being closed off from you.
>>
>>17545760
>could that be my fault for expecting to fulfill it with him?
Well yes, but you're reffering to him not caring about you, your needs nor your desires.
That's a different ball park, senpai.
>>
>>17545759
That is exactly how I've been feeling for so long now. But I do love him and I want us to work out, but nothing I've tried is working.

>>17545761
He's 23 and I'm 22. I tried abandoning ship, but it hurts too much.

>>17545763
I will never suggest to him that he quits his hobbies or anything like that, but I have asked him to give it a break here and there, but he always goes back to it. It's very worrisome for me. I'm getting placed second here to a smartphone. What is the point of being with someone if they are going to ignore you?
I've tried to fake some interest but holy shit, it gets tiring when it's all he ever talks about.
He has other hobbies like going for walks but we haven't had the time to do that lately.
When we were simply friends things were great! We talked normally about different things and all, if I had known this side of him I wouldn't be having this problem now.
>>
As of late, I tried distancing myself from him and trying to keep myself involved in my own hobbies but it just hurts more and more as nothing resolves itself. I'm not going about it the right way, I know. But what else can I do if I want this to work?
>>
so, why are you in a relationship with him again?
>>
>>17545784
Sometimes what hurts is good for us. As a woman in her early 20s you should be meeting and loving similar compatible people. Gamers are not compatible for most.

Outside of talking to him, if you see no improvement, end it for your own sake. You will be happier long term.
>>
>>17545795
Long story short, he was the first real friend i've had in a long time that I met while I was a NEET for a year after highschool. Funny thing, he was my neighbor. I tried not getting attached but I couldn't help it. He's my first boyfriend and everything and don't want to lose that.
We lived together for the past year and oddly enough we've been interacting less and less.
>>
>>17545810
Its comforting for now but you wont grow staying with him and will remain dependant. This is a large but great opportunity to mature and develop yourself. Assuming he doesnt budge, expand your horizons and get out there to meet new people.
>>
>>17545755
Sounds like the guy had found enlightment away from the real world and you're trying to pull him back out.
Let the poor guy enjoy his escapism, the real world is terrible anyway and we both know you're fucking some hotter Chad behind his back.
>>
>>17545810
How much have you talked about your feeling with him about this, I mean in a serious way? If he loves you he should be willing to cut back. I would make sure he knows how difficult his hobbies are making the relationship for you, and keep bringing it up, as it sounds like you have.

If he can't commit to that, It might be in your best interest , and will ultimately be less suffering than another 2 years of of your relationship to just break up if he cant ease off the games
>>
>>17545819
As a former gamer, no, its a crappy hobby to get sucked into. In moderation its ok but still ultimately leads no where and causes more harm than otherwise.

>chad

R9k?
>>
>>17545830
There's literally nothing wrong with checking out of society and devoting yourself to the 2D world.
>>
>>17545817
Starting from scratch can't be the answer, it's too difficult. My feelings for him are too strong and I've placed all my trust and everything on him. I can't bare loosing it.

>>17545819
I wanted to be his tool for comfort and escapism.
>>
>>17545842
Comfort and escapism means escaping from the real world.
Yes, the real world includes you.

I love how you don't even bother denying you're cucking him with some hotter guy, poor guy is only an ATM to you and sometimes emotional support, typical female whore.
>>
>>17545842
I think you need to talk or see someone. That attitude towards anyone is not healthy. The best advice is the hardest to swallow. Leave him if he refuses and fix yourself to become an independant person.
>>
>>17545847
Go back to r9k.
>>
>>17545829
I've talked to him about it extensively. He probably doesn't even realize he keeps himself sunken in virtual land so we continue going in circles.

>>17545847
I disregarded your overused meme. Go back to your containment board.
>>
>>17545857
Ah, the typical normalfag response.
Every time a normalfag is faced with an uncomfortable truth on the internet, they spout their cliche'd response: 'go back to /r9k/ or /pol/ you bitter virgin'

It doesn't make any of what I said less true.
>>
File: 1472755680245.jpg (242KB, 1515x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1472755680245.jpg
242KB, 1515x1029px
>>17545868
>>
Where can I meet an emotionally dependent ex-NEET again? It's usually the other way around for me, and meeting a girl like OP would he refrshing forcme.
>>
>>17545755
Just dump him. If he's going to leave you to do all the work in the relationship than the answer should be pretty clear. He isn't worth your time nor your love, you can do better.
>>
>>17545760
>I really only care about interacting with him and enjoying his time

This is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. Goodluck but your probably too good for him. A man's priority when around his So should be to make them as happy as possible.
>>
>>17547015
That may be it; I could just be too emotionally dependant on him! How can I change this to where I'm okay with very few moments of exchange?

>>17547032
>>17547292
I'm not all that better for him as it seems. I have my flaws and surely there is another way we can get through this. It's just been going on too long and my coping with it is beginning to fail.
>>
>>17547381
>How can I change this to where I'm okay with very few moments of exchange?

You have to get a healthy social life if you want that, and a decent circle of good friends. In other words, you must develop a strong sense of individuality, and you must stop having that waifu ideology; you should share your life with him, not give it to him.

Anyway, I digress, where can I meet emotionally dependent ex-NEETs like you?
>>
>>17547411
Meeting people is going to take some time, are there other ways to increase my individuality in the meantime?

And I can't say, anon. The only girl i'very ever meet that was a NEET like me was during my high school years. She moved far away and I still keep in touch, she has no desire to be in any sort of relationship. She finds it to be full of shit and sticks to her anime and yaoi.

I wish you the best of luck in finding them outside of school/college. She mostly stays indoors and only ever goes out with her family to restaurants and vacations, things like that.
>>
>>17545755
>Calls his hobbies shitty
>Wonders why he ignores you
Gosh I can't imagine why you dumb cunt. Drop him so he doesn't have to deal with your condescending bullshit day in and day out. If he didn't like tapping that ass he'd have cut you out long ago.
>>
>>17547448
My apologies, anon. I wrote that from my fustration of him dedicating all of his time to them and not being mindful of what he has with me.
>>
>>17547428
>Meeting people is going to take some time, are there other ways to increase my individuality in the meantime?

Recognition, mainly. So, either art or sports; alternatively, getting /fit/ might help you. In other words, you just need to get praised, although that's not as good as developing social abundace; I mean, you might become a real-life Asuka if you start depending on the praise others give you.

You might want to get into meditation, though. I highly recommend reading Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.
>>
>>17547565
>you might become a real-life Asuka if you start depending on the praise others give you

That could never happen, but I get your point. I'll look for a start somewhere.
>>
>>17547608
>That could never happen

Oh, trust me, it can happen; anecdotal experience speaking here.
>>
>>17547615
Whoa

Looking for Asuka gf pls respond
>>
>>17547623
Sorry, anon. I was basically an Asuka (male) in highschool. Never got a Shinji (female), though.
>>
>>17547633
UGH

I don't need another male Asuka in my life, you loser
>>
He doesn't love you any more. Break up.
>>
>>17548676
He states over and over again that he does. I'm probably not interesting or entertaining enough for him though.

And my attempt to distance myself from him has only made things worse. Now he ignores my existence entirely.
>>
File: 1470936424594.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470936424594.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>17548788
People who wallow in their own misery needlessly don't deserve any help.
>>
File: 1473211725361.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473211725361.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>17548796
Too late for that.
>>
File: riza_wallpaper_by_ropedy.png.jpg (217KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
riza_wallpaper_by_ropedy.png.jpg
217KB, 1920x1200px
>>17548812
The beauty of it is that you won't do anything and this thread didn't matter at all. He'll just keep stringing you along until he cheats/finds another girl.
>>
Now that's a crystal clear clue on what he feels. I think that he is a coward, and he is specting you to break up, i would say.

I know it's hard to achieve, but try not to overthink. Just act, leave him, and carry on with YOUR life.
>>
>>17548825
I think it helped me to some degree and that's what matters. I'll attempt to change my emotional dependence/expectations of him, try to gain a healthy social life, and if all fails then... end it.
>>
File: Full_metal_5.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Full_metal_5.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
>>17548845

If you haven't done it in two years you're not going to magically do it now. You obviously want to leave so just do it. I always wonder where girls like you are; so hopelessly loyal to idiots for no good reason. I can't tell if its love or stupidity.
>>
File: 1472830069923.jpg (215KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1472830069923.jpg
215KB, 1024x576px
>>17548862
Obviously both senpai.
>>
>>17545755
take an interest in his hobbies and try to be a better friend. no one likes to be nagged by women
>>
>>17548881

It makes you endearing but at the same time off-putting. Its cute and saddening to see you go so unappreciated. Seems like it always end up that way with girls like you but still you persist just hoping for things to change. Tragic, really, but cute.
>>
>>17548883
I've thoroughly enjoyed games and anime all my life. Sharing hobbies isn't the problem but rather he gives all his time to them. Well, his mmos and videos. He's not too much of a weeb.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.