[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Hate school > Actually really like working Is it possible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

> Hate school

> Actually really like working

Is it possible to be successful without college/uni or will I just be stuck working mediocre jobs for the rest of my life?

I'm 23 and have one year of college under my belt but disliked it immensely. I'm currently working at Gamestop and everything is pretty chill but there's absolutely no room for advancement in the company so I don't know what to do next.
>>
File: Bob Esponja.jpg (86KB, 449x960px) Image search: [Google]
Bob Esponja.jpg
86KB, 449x960px
I'm in the same boat. except I don't like working either
>>
Same here! Absolutely hate it, and I suck at Math.
>>
Many companies have room for advancement into management positiona, but they require at least an AA degree. I would stick with it for the AA or go find a tech school.
>>
>>17540895
Is a tech school good enough?
>>
>>17540898

Lots of openings for trade skills like electrician or plumbing. Just messy work, but plumber is a bitchin cool job if you have your own business.
>>
>>17540867
I remember being baffled after I dropped out of college and I was only working. I was like... "Is THIS what adults have been complaining about all this time?!??!!? There's VACATION. WHENEVS?!?!!"

Here's the deal. I WISH soooo badly I had gotten my degree. 4 years of torture for a huge step-up for life. But I have to tell you- dropping out was the biggest weight off my shoulders I've ever felt. However I think I may have gotten lucky. I've got a great job with good pay, benefits, and chance for advancement. I make more than most of my friends with degrees. Keep in mind though, I may have just gotten lucky.

I wish I could just buy a degree. This shit is a racket.
>>
You can go into the trades with a year of schooling if you want to work hard for a ling time and have the drive.

Bachelors degrees are naturally built around comfy office work. You don't have to go just because people and society tell you to.

I was nearly failinng senilr classes for my BS because I was sick of the people, the school, and even the major. I got into a different industry and it paid off imensely but I couldn't have done it without that STEM stamp of approval.
>>
>>17540902
Fuck. I don't know if I would like to be a Plumber for the rest of my life.
>>
>>17540903

Statistically, yeah, you got lucky. Most people who drop out of school don't do very well UNLESS they naturally love to read, research, and learn independently anyway. I think the research for high school drop out billionaires show that they read 11 challeging books a year and the newspaper almost every day. I think it comes down to your personal drive to acquire knowledge.
>>
>>17540916
You can be a lineman. I would love to be one but cant for health reasons.

Job is dangerous but not if you follow the rules. The journeyman guys in my utility company get paid over 100k after a few years.
>>
>>17540924
What is that?
>>
>>17540926
A lineman is a guy who maintains and sets up electric power lines.

You better like climbing though :^)

Theres a million trades though seriously. Not just plumbing. Process operators was a good second choice for me when I was looking around. They maintain industrial plants and turn knobs and valves all day. Pays good
>>
>>17540937
Linesman seems pretty dangerous, would avoid.

Wew Process Operator seems good. How much is the pay? The other day I saw Power Plant operator, also seems good enough.
If it doesn't require Math I am good.
>>
>>17540946
To quote some advice from a guy it's 1-2 years of school then you work your way up closer to a desk job every year.

Top paid towards management positions are easily 100k. Most of the guys work overtime to break 120k. They call it the golden handcuffs for that reason.

On that same forum they told me to become an engineer instead since I already have a BS and then I wouldn't have to work so hard but I don't think I'd ever go petro it's so popular and oil is so low right now.
>>
>>17540867
it depends what kind of jobs you're looking into. I work in CG/animation and my lack of degree is irrelevant. but for many other professions it will help. I think you're best off figuring out where you see yourself progressing career-wise first.
>>
>>17540958
It requires College? Also if I dont respond now ill be back on in a few hours
>>
>>17540991
It does not but too many people have an AS in it, you won't be competitive otherwise and no one will look at you.

Almost no math. I went to a seminar for it at a college near my house and I think it went up to industrial math or something which is like trig/algebra 2 at worst.

Look for AS Process Technology if youre interested. There are industrial bio labs that need people too but the pay drops off significantly outside of oil.
>>
>>17541009
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job

Surprisingly helpful, some jobs are really popular.
>>
Here are a few off the top of my head to help you out.
Carpentry, HVAC, Electrical, Heavy Operator, Dock Worker, Fishing, Steel Worker, Masonry, Tower Maintenance, Lumberjack, Oil/Energy, that's off the top of my head the list goes on and on and on.
There are a lot of opportunities in the entertainment industry work just isn't super steady, stunts, grip, production assistant etc.

Most industries contain skilled labor jobs that aren't super obvious to the outsider and some pay really really fucking good. They pay good for good reason though so if something seems too good to be true it probably is. Be prepared to risk life and limb or work horrific hours or both.
>>
What's a good alternative to uni then?
>>
Go to flight school. If you like to work get a good paying job and once/twice a week fly for an hour or two. Only like $300/hour. 40 hours for private and 300 for commercial.
>>
>>17541009
Damn so if I don't go to college my chances are low huh?
>>
>>17540867
Become a driller.
Land drillers are in short supply here in the UK. £20k entry salary.

All you need is L2 NVQ Diploma in Land Drilling Operations and from experiace you don't have to be smart to get that just common sense
>>
>>17542161

If you haven't seen that 10 minute video of land/sea drillers getting fucked up by that drill you have some other thing coming.
>>
>>17542161
>£20k entry salary.
That's barely anything.
>>
>>17542202
The clue in the sentence is entry.

You have to quite egotistical to assume you'll get anything other than an entry salary for starting a new job with zero experience.

>>17542196
Land drillers in the UK is quite safe all you do is drill a small hole at construction sites. Once the hole is drilled you sit on your ass reading the Daily Star until quitting time.
>>
>>17540867
The world will always need

plumbers
electricians
bus drivers
truck drivers
barbers
mailmen
cops
firemen
garbagemen
auto mechanics
auto workers
etc
etc

All honorable and well-paying professions
>>
Federal jobs, senpai. Look into post-offices and airports for starters.

You can make bank as a truck driver if that's your thing.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.