[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any advice for someone looking for their 2nd real job after college?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: careers.jpg (185KB, 600x349px) Image search: [Google]
careers.jpg
185KB, 600x349px
Any advice for someone looking for their 2nd real job after college?

Graduated with my bachelors in May 2015. Got a really bad ass job with a fortune 500 company. Great benefits, decent pay with cash bonus, company car and don't have to pay for gas or maintenance on vehicle. Downside: Live far away from girlfriend and family and really close homies. Weekdays are just stress andwork for me, and I only live to drive back home (TX) every weekend . Don't really care about making friends out here (not everyone's dream to live in country bumpkin Oklahoma no offense).
>>
I'm on my second job after college, same grad year.

You want to just get one with less stress closer to home mainly?
>>
>>17540449

Mostly the being away from home part. I love my job currently but my "homesickness" has been affecting my quality of work and motivation and my manager and teammates see it. I understand stress is part of any job. I'm currently looking for jobs on linked in, my university career center, etc.
>>
Forgot to ask, what do employers expect from someones resume after they have their first "big boy" job after college? I read that I should emphasize on what I currently do in my job now that is applicable to the job I'm shooting for and more or less about my education background. My degree is in Business Marketing.
>>
>>17540478
Just say what you did on the job in a way that sounds like an achievement.

For example, employers don't care that you press buttons for a living, they want to see you increased your teams efficiency and shit like that.
>>
>>17540491
Makes sense. What was your first job and your current job? How relatable are they? The job I have currently is 95% travel but I'm always back "home" every day. I want a job that has to do with more of an office setting using marketing research. I do admit the best thing about my job is that I can catch pokemon while i'm driving to my clients.
>>
>>17540514
Mine is a less common example but it does happen.

My degree is uselss besides being a STEM degree. That plus a cert got me a contract job for a company that opened an office and did a service for a utility company.

Then I moved to the same titled position permanently at the parent company and make more money for the same work. The interview could not have gone more smoothly on the technical questions side.

I would keep trying indeed and websites of companies you want to work for and other job aggregators.
>>
>>17540528
Thats awesome man! Thanks for the advice! Do you think it was a bad idea that I had the conversation with my manager that I am "considering to look at different jobs" Is there a possible chance that if i use her as a reference that she could be giving negative feedback about me?
>>
>>17540561
Managers don't usually give bad references if you leave because that's just business. You have to fuck up at work somehow.

But yeah it's not smart to hint at finding a new job to your managers, only if you want more responsibilities to get paid more at the same job.

My entire office knew I was getting the job because the process took so long. 6 other people applied and I'm the only one who passed all the technical tests before the interview. My boss had no idea until I turned in a 2 week notice which sucked for him because I was the only one doing a couple tasks there but again it's just business.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.