[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>lived on-campus for 4 days so far, first time doing so >no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1472196920967.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1472196920967.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>lived on-campus for 4 days so far, first time doing so
>no idea what to do, feel like I'm wasting time

Like, I had classes today which was cool and I got some study partners' numbers. I saw a guy I met the first day and switched numbers with, he invited me to do something on the spot but I was busy so I told him "try in an hour," no response. I went to a dorm movie night but the planning was a disaster and I just kind of powed-around with an RA, nothing big since everyone seemed to be friends already

Like, is this normal for a first few days? There's parties going on all around and I have no idea how to get invited or how to mingle at events. I'll walk around campus a bit, find nothing, and just head back to my place. What should I be looking for/doing to have a more social college life?
>>
Guy or girl?
>>
>>17540248
Guy, legal age of drinking if that matters
>>
Are you a freshman?
>>
>>17540257
Junior, transferred to this campus. Don't know anybody here. I also live alone on-campus
>>
>>17540159
you seem to be waiting for people to come to you and make all the effort.

and no, people make their friends early on. it's very important that you make an effort early into the semester before everyone gets settled in with their groups.

don't you have a roommate? what does he do? you don't have to become friends with his friends but it'll give you a platform to launch off of.

your entire floor is full of people looking to meet others.
>>
>>17540261
Pick a club. Because you want to explore the party scene, maybe try a marijuana advocacy group on campus. I personally recommend the campus radio station, as that is where I met of my friends in college. Maybe transfer into a class that you know will require interaction with other students, like choir or public speaking.
>>
>>17540267
I'm going out to the welcome events but I guess I'm not sure how to behave at them. Usually I'll find some easy-going group or another solo person and chat them up a bit, leave a good impression, and continue on. Never seem to see those people again though.

And no roommate, single dorm. Whole floor is like that, only 4 people of the 25 showed up to the floor meeting. Our RA hangs out elsewhere too, it's bizarre.

>>17540275
Seems legit, they apparently had a rally today to sign up (I missed it due to class). Will check tomorrow too.

Say when I get into the club, should I be looking to get numbers like the first day and talk between weekly meetings? Everyone seems big on numbers. I'm honestly confused how this whole campus socializing should/shouldn't go.

I'm looking at the gaming, film, outdoors, and Christian fellowship (to see if born-again Christian is my thing) if it matters.
>>
Sounds normal to me. Honestly, media highly exaggerates how "fun" college life is. That's really all it is, wandering around looking for something to do, but there never is anything to do.

But you're also fucked by being a transfer student. Everyone gets that shit out of the way when they're 18 and it's nearly impossible to inject yourself into that life later on.
I've been in my school for 3 years, failed miserably at making friends at all the freshman bullshit, never been able to recover. Best I've ever gotten was the "semester friend", aka the person I traded notes with if one of us ever missed a class but never otherwise saw or hung around outside of that one class, and then never heard from again after the semester ended.
>>
Recent college grad here.

Alot of the people at the parties are either student athletes or drug dealers. Unless you're in one of those two groups, it's difficult to have a wide circle of friends with a single interest.

Why? Because unlike campus clubs which are easy to drop in and out of, sports teams pretty much bind people to show up multiple times a week for ~4 months or so. Likewise, the drug subculture is hard to leave due to issues of dependence/addiction (I don't care what people say, using marijuana multiple times per week is symptomatic of dependence.)

The only other way to find a "core" group of friends is probably to get some easy job with a lot of coworker interaction. That way, people can't flake out (they're getting paid, after all).

Good luck anon; I was in your position my first few years of college until I got a job and started smoking weed.
>>
>>17540343
Good to know, I'll have to bolster my efforts to absolutely guarantee I don't fuck up. Sorry to hear about all that too.

>>17540348
I'll keep an eye out for jobs too, I really need to get one. Not big on drugs, but parties are cool. Will take all this to heart, I'm not out of drive yet but it's getting there.
>>
>>17540378
Eh, in the end it was all my decision. I chose to go to the shitty cheapo school because I could get my degree basically anywhere, but my older sister wanted so desperately to go to an expensive art college for her specialized degree. Sacrificed part of my college funds to help her get there.
School I go to is ok for academics, but absolute garbage for social life. We don't even have real clubs or student organizations, or at least the few we do have aren't advertised and are strictly word of mouth, so if you don't already know someone in it you're fucked.
Well, and greek life. But I don't have thousands of dollars to buy fake friends I'll have nothing in common with anyways.

Towns small and shit too out in the middle of nowhere, nearest city is a 3 hour drive. I hope my sister appreciates my sacrifice.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.