[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I tell my teacher that im afraid to talk in front of my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1473143249949.png (264KB, 500x410px) Image search: [Google]
1473143249949.png
264KB, 500x410px
How do I tell my teacher that im afraid to talk in front of my class without sounding like a pussy?
>>
>>17538312

Just say it as it is

You are not the first, nor the last, to have that problem
>>
>>17538321
>Just say it as it is
But do it outside of class.
>>
Teacher here.

Look I appreciate my students coming forward and being honest but under the curriculum I am given, you have to present presentation in front of the class. Asking me if you can privately do it won't cut it. Talking in front of groups is a very important skill going forward, you need to address this. Also, participation marks are a thing so are you going to completely forgo that?
>>
>do i do something without doing something

you are a gigantic fucking pussy
stop being a gigantic giant pussy
stand up and talk infront of the class little shit, god damn what is wrong with you youngsters today
>>
>>17538408
Yes
>>
You have to be 18 to post on this site.
>>
>>17538408
>Talking in front of groups is a very important skill going forward

Its not, but okay. I finished my phd two years ago, and outside of that shitty speech class I took when I first started college, where the professor insisted it was a vital skill, I haven't spoken in front of a class or group of people since, except for my last speech, but it was just a few professors.
>>
>>17538408
I'm sure it varies, but I've known teachers that have allowed special accommodations for students with social anxiety. Private presentations are among them.

Typically, a teacher's willingness to cut you a break depends on how well you're doing in other areas of the class. If they see you're doing well on your other assignments, getting things done on time, etc., they'll be more likely to offer you some additional support.

Another thing to consider is taking advantage of your school's counseling services (assuming it has some). Regardless of how intense you feel your anxiety is, seeing a counselor can go a long ways.
>>
>>17538312

Public speaking is one of (if not THE) most common phobias, you're definitely not a pussy for not wanting to do it. Unfortunately, public speaking will be a thing up until half way through university so there really isn't much you can do to avoid it short of getting a doctors certificate and even then you might still miss out on the marks.

If possible, take solace in the fact the 80% of the kids who also need to make a speech will fucking hate it and that everyone watching will be bored shitless and probably wont be paying attention.

If it helps, I've always been terrified of presentations to the point where I've nearly dropped whole units to get out of them. In the end I ended up doing nearly all of them and it does get a little easier as time goes on (it still sucks though).
>>
>>17538546
The problem is that I have anxiety over all of the students watching and judging me and I dont.know how to stop it
>>
>>17538605
Literally nobody cares about presentations in class
>>
>>17538605
Having your presentation prepared word-for-word can be one way of powering through a situation like that. Memorize and practice exactly what you're going to say. This gives you control over every moment and pause of your presentation, in addition to just make you appear super competent.

In addition, keep in mind that most students are probably only half-paying attention to you anyways. And regardless of how amazing or awful your presentation goes, they'll have mostly forgotten it by the end of the day. And probably completely forgotten it by the next day.
>>
>>17538608
That doesn't help my paranoia
>>
>>17538629
Anon there's no getting around public speaking. Take it from someone who has vomited before many presentations up until the last year due to nerves, that the more you do it and the more you suck it up and power through, the easier the next one becomes. Then one day you'll just realize that you have to fucking do it anyways so might as well prepare yourself for them so you got your shit down and will nail it. Preparing yourself rather than wasting your time worrying over something everyone dreads will ease your nerves immensely.
>>
>>17538510

I don't understand the point of this post. You are in a highly specialized program that is different from the norm, what I am talking about is the corporate world where presentations is the norm.

>>17538533

Sure maybe a one time thing but that doesn't address the problem which is that the student has a problem speaking in front of groups. He will HAVE to do it in the future whether it is in more college courses or work related. Maybe he might be the best man to his friend's wedding? Who knows. Giving him accommodations will only give him the mentality that if he asks nicely enough someone can help him divert the problem.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.