[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm nervous about getting a job or internship. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1362930333418.jpg (424KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1362930333418.jpg
424KB, 2400x1600px
I'm nervous about getting a job or internship. I'm an engineering student in a "top 10" University, with a 2.68 GPA, because I'm a mediocre/bad student.

However, I have a bunch of various experiences in technical clubs (SAE, Robotics), am president of a large social club, and have competed and made the finalist round in a tech start-up competition (not Computer Science related), as well as a few other independent projects. I also have held a lab tech position for 2 years now.

I do fairly well when I get interviewed, if I get interviewed. I've no problems getting some basic service-industry job for money or whatever, but I really want an internship for this summer...but I have no idea how to do so.

I don't have real connections, despite my wider social circle, and a bad GPA that sticks out like a sore thumb on resumes at career fairs (it is on the upswing, however). I'm also in my Junior year. What do I do?
>>
Why not leave your GPA off your resume?

Just highlight your achievements, like placing at the tech competition, or having something tangible you've done that you can show employers
>>
>>17533629
I've heard conflicting things about that. A recruiter from one company will say "It's much better to leave a bad GPA on the resume, since otherwise we'll assume the worst anyway" and it's students who'll say "leave it off"

What do? I feel the recruiter has a shred more credibility.
>>
>>17533591
Talk to your university's job placement department. Particularly as regards the STEM fields, this is literally what they are there for. They can also help you with
connections.
>>
>>17533655
I've gone to them for resume and cover letter help, but there's only so much they can do. Plus, they seem much more concerned about helping the seniors get entry-level positions as opposed to internships. I'll definitely frequent them more
>>
>>17533631

I'm not sure about whatever engineering discipline you're in, but for computer science it's okay to leave off your GPA. Some companies won't like that, but a lot of them don't care.
>>
>>17533631
Honestly, I've hired someone to do tech freelance work for me before. And i didn't give a fuck what their GPA was, or if they had formal training? I got a 34 on the English and Reading section of the ACT, but got an F in my freshman English class because of improper citations.

All I wanted to see from an employer's perspective was that the guy I was working with knew what he was doing, not that he was able to jump through hoops in college and get an arbitrary stamp of approval.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.