[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people keep telling me the English Lit degree I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (29KB, 460x258px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 460x258px
Why do people keep telling me the English Lit degree I'm about to start is a waste? Can't I get a career like pic related if I stand out?
>>
>>17532671
Who even is that? Louis Theroux?
>>
I'd recommend going with a Secondary Education major with a focus on English. You take most of the same classes as an English Lit major, but you have a solid career path.
>>
>>17532671
Do we really need to explain why paying a couple of thousand dollars to learn about some books you can pick up in a bargan bin for 5$ is a bad idea?
>>
>>17532671
Well for a start Theroux did a History Degree. And he went to the 2nd best University in the UK - 6th best in the world.
>>
Can't I write the signs in museums or something with this degree? I seriously do not want to wind up as a high school teacher.
>>
>>17532671
But you won't stand out. Plenty of other people getting that degree will also try to stand out. I think it's a good idea to be prepared to be a teacher

t. Music major
>>
Fuck. Fate worse than death, frankly. Teachers have shockingly low life expectancy. What non-British countries have a youth culture that actually respects those who devote their lives to the noble cause?
>>
>>17532671
i dont know you man, but please dont waste your time on that shit degree. please.
>>
>>17532793
If they have a low life expectancy, then why does my bulldyke math teacher still live? Justified in that she actually did the artificial method to produce kids and she has a passive hatred towards men.

She's apparently done this for 15 years.
>>
>>17532866
What degrees are worth it these days? What specifically makes my degree shit?
>>
>>17533201
>What degrees are worth it these days?
Trying to go to med school. STEM and computers. Accounting, etc

>what makes my degree shit
Nobody is looking to hire English majors of any kind. That's a one way path to becoming a professor. Becoming a successful author doesn't even require a degree
>>
What about stuff to do with PR/spin doctoring, stuff like that?
>>
The best you'll get is a teaching job or freelance writing. Trust me. I went to a nationally ranked school and graduated with accolades and now I am a high school teacher.
>>
>>17533201
You can get hired sure, but it probably wont be for a job that has anything to do with your English degree. Some of the support tier developers I work with have non STEM degrees. They do basic programming in APEX and stuff, but other STEM majors outrank them the moment they get hired.
>>
File: d82.gif (875KB, 646x422px) Image search: [Google]
d82.gif
875KB, 646x422px
>>17533282
>Med school
>STEM
>computers

Ah, memes. 0/10, but it made me think!
>>
File: 1471661438145.jpg (48KB, 397x378px)
1471661438145.jpg
48KB, 397x378px
>>17533576
Found the humanities major
>>
File: lol.png (775KB, 760x713px)
lol.png
775KB, 760x713px
>>17533633
Whatever you say, bucko.
>>
File: 1473022928594.jpg (353KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473022928594.jpg
353KB, 800x800px
>>17533640
>bucko

>lol.png

Stop posting
>>
File: k.png (44KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
k.png
44KB, 720x720px
>>17533645
>>
>>17532671
>Can't I get a career like pic related if I stand out?
IF you stand out. In a field this large and competitive, that is a VERY big "if".
>>
File: _20160905_140736.jpg (40KB, 540x689px) Image search: [Google]
_20160905_140736.jpg
40KB, 540x689px
>>17532793
What Britain are you talking about?
>>
>>17532671
I work in HR for a major corporation.

Fact: There is no such thing as a degree that can't get you a job.

Granted, with some degrees - it used to be Business, now it's STEM - the job hunt is a little easier, mainly because of fads and fashions in the business world that makes some degrees temporarily more in demand.

But smart employers hire the person, not the transcript. If you impress us as the kind of person we want, and you have the skills we want (more on that in a moment), we don't care what your major was.

Look, we're going to have to train you in our way of doing things anyway, and with some Business majors that means un-training you from what you learned in school.

It is true that you are not likely to get a job because of how much you know about Chaucer and Shakespeare. But the skills you picked up while studying them are transferable and desirable - things like reading, absorbing and drawing the major points out of a lot of material; writing coherently (If you can write a clear grammatical paragraph, you are ahead of 80% of college grads), working independently, brainstorming (what you do in seminars and small classes), researching, etc.

Our company would much rather hire a sharp English major than a mediocre Business major.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.