[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I deal with people trying to encourage me to embrace mediocrity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

How do I deal with people trying to encourage me to embrace mediocrity?

My sister, for example. She cussed me out for trying to get straight As and aiming to do a PhD in a STEM field.

I try my best to ignore them but it's getting harder and harder.
>>
>>17530248
That's really vague. Are you sure you're not being an asshole and bragging about it?
>>
>>17530248
Some people just want to see others fail because otherwise it exposes their inadequacies.
>>
>>17530256
Not at all, I think. I've actually had my fair share of challenges. I almost got kicked out of school on my first try because my grades were so low, I just called it quits because I needed to figure some things out.

Anyway, on my sister's part, I think it might be that she doesn't want anyone to be more successful than her. One time a few years ago when were younger she assaulted me for doing chores better than her.
>>
Why let your sister ruin the bright future that you have ahead of yourself?
Cuss her back for getting shit C's and aiming to go to Gender Studies in college.
KEK
>>
>>17530265
If that's the truth then your sister has some serious issues...
>>
>>17530267
She graduated in bio, not sure what her GPA was. I know it was above 3 but not high enough for latin honors.

She went full nutters SJW after finishing, though. Our dad will send her lists of jobs to apply to and tries to rationlize why she won't apply to them. She breaks down crying at the dinner table multiple nights each week. As for the SJW stuff, she thinks I'm racist for studying European Portuguese instead of Brazilian PT (I have a lot of Portuguese friends).
>>
>>17530269
She definitely does and I think she's aware of it, to some degree. However she uses that realization as a license to treat everyone else like shit.
>>
>>17530277
Fodasse.
It sounds like your sister needs a good dose of reality check.
Sit down with her and try to have a chat about it, show her that first of all European Portuguese > Brazillian Portuguese; second of all try to understand why she is such a cunt; thirdly form a strategy based on that, even if you have to tell her the truth about the wage gap it will be worth it over having your sister being a useless Triggered SJW.
>>
She needs love
>>
>>17530290
She thinks the favela monkey open vowels are superior because oppressed people of color speak that way.

Anyway, it's not just her. Even my parents have been really big on "don't aim high, just be 'good enough.'"

At one point early in high school I considered aiming for schools like MIT and U Chicago but they were very very quick to just dismiss me and tell me off. At a different point I thought I wanted to be part of an Air Force or Navy flight crew and my mom flat out said "sorry, but you're just not the pinnacle, you'd never get there."

I feel like my parents just want me to become a mechanical engineer and spend the rest of my life living in some cookie cutter subdivision in the midwest designing air conditioning units.
>>
>>17530333
Honestly, I've never really had something that I wanted to do, until I found Micro and Nano Technology Engineering.
But I'm only going to be able to get in if I work hard on my last year of school, which is going to be tough since I didn't care much before, but I have been living my life as the 'good enough' just because nothing appealed to me, but now that I have a goal, I want to be better, not just with my studies, but with everything else.
A goal is a mindset, if you tell your parents that you want to go to STEM field and why you're going to do it despite their 'good enough' bullshit they will understand; after all they are probably just worried.

As for your sister, you really have to give her a fat reality check. She has fallen into the trap of the Regressive Left SJW Feminist movement; salvation is slim, maybe she will realize the error of her ways once she gets older, that, or she will be 40 and repeating the cycle by spreading bullshit to the younger generations.
Her SJW'ness is probably due to something else, some bonding might be required in order to solve that problem.

Also, if she seriously learns Brazilian Portuguese, no one will take her seriously and neither will anyone understand what she is saying in her awful forced accent...
>>
this is slave morality

nietzsche tried to warn us
>>
They do say "Misery loves company."
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.