[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I failed out of college on my first try and now I'm going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: ylsEQYA.jpg (1022KB, 2298x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ylsEQYA.jpg
1022KB, 2298x1000px
I failed out of college on my first try and now I'm going to community college and getting ready to transfer in to a new school, hopefully in January.

I've done a lot of soul searching and I'm pretty sure my original major (Physics) is the right thing for me but people keep telling me I'm only in STEM for the money and assume I don't actually like it. What should I do to get them to shut up?
>>
>>17530060
Nothing. People like talking. They'll never shut up, so just do what you want
>>
>>17530062
Some of this is getting in the way of things, though, like my advisors are constantly going off of the "I guess you can make good money in that" thing even though I want to go on to do a PhD, postdocs, and land a research job even though I'll make less there than I will doing other things.

I'm hoping the issue will clear up when I switch to a real school and have actual scientists as advisors and not some random community college school/career advisor.
>>
>>17530074
>even though I want to go on to do a PhD, postdocs, and land a research job even though I'll make less there than I will doing other things

Have you tried explaining them that? "Actually I'd be more interested in doing xyz, do you have any advice on that?"
>>
>>17530092
I usually get shut down with "If you want a job, don't do that."
>>
>>17530100
Then it sounds like they're the ones who only care about money, not you. Ignore them, find better advisors
>>
You have to want to go to college for yourself and just do it.
I went to community college cause everyone said its better to wait to decide what to do then when i graduated and wanted to do something like engineering apparently little of what I did mattered and itd be another 3 years instead of 2. Bullshit but I guess if i really wanted to be an engineer i'd have sucked it up.
I ended up returning to uni for art school after finding a career with out any education requirements.
>>
>>17530100
You are your own person. Tell them that's what you want to do and persist. Say you want advice on how to accomplish your goal, not advice on what they think is best. Don't be a dick but assert yourself.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.