[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm starting first year university in the winter in English.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1470188528349.png (62KB, 382x395px) Image search: [Google]
1470188528349.png
62KB, 382x395px
I'm starting first year university in the winter in English. I'm Chinese and my family has been a line of teachers (professors as of later generations), and I've wanted to be a teacher for as long as I've remembered, so kinda filling in both the bloodline thing as well as my own desires. But everyone says an arts degree is inferior to a STEM degree, and it's been knawing away at me throughout highschool, since all my friends are going into some science/math field. I'm scared it'll be one of thse cases where it's complete dogshit and I'll have realized I fucked up from straying from what everyone else did.

Are my fears warranted, or am I just dumb? ;_;
>>
>>17528602
Yes
>>
>>17528602
>Are my fears warranted, or am I just dumb? ;_;
The world needs teachers, OP. Follow your dream.

Also, don't listen to the STEM autists who think their degree is the be-all and end-all of education. Some of the STEM guys I know genuinely think there's an "a" in the word "college", and are still pig-headed enough to think they're the next Da Vinci.
>>
>>17528602
>everyone says an arts degree is inferior to a STEM degree
Who "everyone"? Some fuckboys on 4chan? The same ones who say other races are inferior to whites? Why even listen to them, anon? Never let them decide what is inferior and what is superior, arts is much better in my opinion, more creative and more job opportunities in social fields, especially with languages.
Why would you pursue a STEM degree if you dont care about math and you like English language?
>>
>>17528602
It depends on your background. If you need money, it's STEM. But if you have an educated family with money (looks like it here) you can pretty much do what you want.

Only if you have a safety net though. You're Chinese so family should be willing to help you with financials and all that, even after graduation.

>>17528722
>spelling is indicative of intelligence
Typical monolingual English major.
>>
>>17528733
>Typical monolingual English major.
As someone who is as stupid as the back end of a pig, but who learned multiple languages, I cannot comment.
>>
>>17528602

What exactly is getting you down? Is it the lack of money? The lack of prestige? The lack of job prospects? Depending on what is making you freak, it could or could not be a good choice.

>money
Yeah, teachers make shit money in some places, especially elementary. High school is better and you can be pretty comfy if you manage your assets. I'm a class 4 2nd year teacher and make about 55k as "part time" (4 classes rather than the full 5) this year. I can go out to eat whenever I want, I have 2 decent computers, 3 laptops, 2 ps4s, 2 big screen tvs, a reliable car, and a dog. I'm not hurting for money or material fulfillment.

>prestige
Some people on the Internet will call you a glorified babysitter, but those are the same people who have trouble handling 1 child, let alone 40. You can't get your kid to pick up his fapsock but I can get him to write a 3 page essay, so those types can fuck right off. Most people will be very fawning and appreciative to your face because teaching can be very demanding and unrewarding, but it's so fucking fulfilling when you help a kid from a 15k/year household get a 10k scholarship because he wrote an essay.

>lack of job prospects
The next 5 years will be the best time to become a teacher because the baby boomer teachers are retiring. I'm a fucking English teacher and I got a job immediately, which was unheard of during the last 10 years.

If you are an engineer from a top tier school with no practical experience, you're going to lose the job to someone from a state uni who worked in an auto shop for a year. This is how my little brother got the job to work at a government facility creating explosives and new missile technology. He had great grads and experience, but he also brought a beautiful portfolio of his work and research. If you display excellence in your work, going above and beyond the bare minimum, you will get picked up fast.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.