[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My wife and I are both proud liberals, and while we've not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1469835185348.jpg (292KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1469835185348.jpg
292KB, 1500x1500px
My wife and I are both proud liberals, and while we've not tried to force our political views on my stepson, we have tried to instill in him some values which we think should be universally upheld - acceptance of sexual/ethnic minorities and feminism being the main ones. As I'd expect from a child of his age, he's not exactly been politically charged - until recently.

We try to have occasional intellectual discussions at the dinner table, and a few months ago we were talking about the upcoming election. I asked my son who he'd vote for if he could, and he was evasive for some time. Maybe I shouldn't have pushed him, but I wanted to know, so I kept asking, and he finally replied that he'd vote for Trump. I won't lie, my wife and I were pretty upset. I tried to hide my shock and asked him why this was the case. He still seemed vague and embarrassed, but he replied that he was extremely worried about terrorism, which he thought was mainly an Islamic problem. For that reason, Trump's suggested approach to immigration appealed to him. I left it at that for the time being. My own view is that this kind of thinking suggests Islamophobia, but I can see how a 14 year old might not have the nuanced view on terrorism necessary to see that. I left it at that for the time being. My wife's son is a good kid, and bright, so I hoped that he'd come to see that he might be looking at things in the wrong way in his own time. I didn't want to force my own political views onto him.
>>
>>17528257

My wife and I consciously avoided bringing politics up with him for the next few weeks, not wanting to make him feel uncomfortable. But things took a turn for the worse and became overtly disturbing. My wife was attending the dinner party of her colleague and a good friend of ours who happens to be a Muslim. I took my stepson with me when I went to pick her up, and he came into the house with me to say hello to our friend, who he's seen occasionally before and never had any issues with. Our friend's wife wears a hijab and out of the blue, my stepson asked her why she'd do that "when it promotes gender inequality". I was mortified. This is word-for-word the kind of attack on Islam I've seen on conservative subreddits. She explained to my stepson that she wore the hijab of her own volition and I apologized profusely.

Now the terrorism remark and the attack on the hijab taken individually could be seen as a misguided kid getting things wrong, but in combination and in such a short space of time, I see this as evidence that my stepson has quite ugly views on Islam, which he's never expressed before. I didn't confront him because I was afraid that, as a parent figure, any attempt of mine to alter his views would only strengthen them.
>>
This board is for genuine problems and not bait you've copy-pasted from reddit, thanks.
>>
>>17528259

Since then there's been a few more remarks. He's become more confident in expressing his support for Trump, and even more worryingly has made a few undeniably sexist and Islamophobic remarks. My wife and I are getting desperate. We never thought we'd have this problem, and we want him to turn into a good man that respects minorities and women. What's the best way to tackle this behavior?

TL;DR: My wife and I are increasingly concerned about her son, who seems to have adopted the views of Donald Trump. He seems to be becoming intolerant in multiple ways, and we want to prevent this.

Help?
>>
>>17528257
who took your nuts OP, your mother or your wife? Want to live in your minds world of a theoretical utopia go ahead but the real world plays by real world rules not those you cooked up and pull out of your ass. Bravo to your stepson for using his own mind and ask legitimate questions.
>>
MY WIFE'S SON: THE COPYPASTA.

Remember guys, Sage goes in the options field.
>>
>>17528257
This sounds like bait.

Why don't you read the Bible?

Let him do what he wants.
It's actually liberals who want to fuck fags. Really makes you think....
>>
File: 456455355765.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
456455355765.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>17528257
>my stepson
Stopped reading there.
>>
This is bait
>>
File: 1423685235163.jpg (24KB, 308x302px) Image search: [Google]
1423685235163.jpg
24KB, 308x302px
>>17528257
>>
Surprising that he'll vote for either of them. I was thinking of just leaving that part of the ballot blank.
>>
>>17528727
Just imagine if nobody got voted in. If there is ever an election where everyone decided I just don't want these options I think this could be the one to make it happen.
>>
>>17528735
That's not how it works
>>
>>17528765
Yeah I'm just clowning around because if it works it works. I really don't mind.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.