[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Calculus class has weekly quizes 10 minutes for 5 problems,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Calculus class has weekly quizes

10 minutes for 5 problems, no calculators

Bitching about how autistic this is aside, how do I NOT fail this class?

First quiz was a 55%, pretty sure thats the lowest grade I've ever gotten on anything.

Just panicked and did the problems half way

Every single answer I'm confident I could've gotten right if I'd had more time or could remember how to do manual arithmetic well.

Wish you could get paid to do bullshit majors. If I changed from maths to philosophy or history of some sort I'm sure I would be the happiest person alive until I graduated, then what?

I like (not love) mathematics as a subject and have a natural affinity for computers (as every awkard lanky millennial with too much time and too few friends does) so I was funneled down the maths route and will probably be a programmer or a systems administrator and make an honest living but what if I really can't? If this simple Calculus class can get the best of my how can I hope to pass the other classes required by my major like Differential Equations?
>>
>>17527018
what are bitching about?
calc isn't even hard

>If this simple Calculus class can get the best of my
>the best of my

fuck man, you're really stupid.
>>
>>17527054
If I was smart I never would've made this thread, but a typo doesn't always indicate stupidity
>>
I'm worried about this happening to me when I get to calc

Do you have a textbook? The only advice I have is to teach yourself and try to stay ahead of the class. I usually try to keep myself one or two chapters ahead of whatever class I'm in and it works pretty well for me
>>
>>17527018
Check this out, specifically the first or first and second chapters in your text:https://betterexplained.com/articles/a-gentle-introduction-to-learning-calculus/

The first chapter is generally the most confusing for calculus. You have no experience reading math language, but hopefully your teacher help you learn how to translate it.
>>
>>17527018

What do you need a calculator for to do calc for? Unless maybe you have one of those modern-age calculators that come equipped with derivative programs.

I'll give you some advice since I actually used to not do well in calculus. Study and practice. The reason you got a 55 isn't cause of the no calculator rule, it's cause you didn't prepare for it and you didn't time yourself doing the practice questions. Same thing with diff. equations.

No excuses here buddy, you just gotta put the time in. Get extra help, study with others, get a tutor, go in for office hours, do extra questions, do the homework then re-do it again, check the answers in the back, pay attention in class, ask the professor questions. One thing you shouldn't do though, is make excuses. Cause you will blink and it will be December and you're taking finals, and you'll realize the semester just flew by and you need to get a 95% to pass the class whereas someone else needs a 60% to get an A.

I've been there. Get yourself together and quit wasting your parents' tuition money.
>>
>>17527018
>no calculators
why do you need calculators for calculus

>10 minutes for 5 problems
this is stupid on your teacher's part. Mathematics is about thinking, not manual labour. With this amount of time your teacher pretty much guaranteed that there's very little thinking involved.
>math major
your teacher is training engineers, not anyone who would actually do math later in life.
>>
Check RateMyProffesor and see if the professor has bad reviews. Some teachers are just fucked. The more realistic answer is that you didn't study.
>>
I remember when I took calc in college my professor did a similar thing with weekly quizzes and no calculators. The interesting thing was that she assigned homework after each class but never actually collected it, just went over it in class and called on random people so it was obvious who did the work and who hadn't. Then on the quizes every question was always one that had appeared on a homework but with different numbers. And then on the tests every question was taken from the quizzes with different numbers.

I really liked that method, I always knew exactly what the expectations were to pass the exams.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.