[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've had over 150 job rejections in the last 6 months.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: OoqJmHj.png (152KB, 1207x676px) Image search: [Google]
OoqJmHj.png
152KB, 1207x676px
I've had over 150 job rejections in the last 6 months.

I have a degree in journalism and politics, i've worked as a freelance writer, a content editor, even managed/edited a small entertainment news website (that I was hired for). I've worked as a publicity officer for a charity, and have applied for jobs that fit my skills.

I've also applied for work in retail, catering, the food industry, etc., but heard nothing back.

I've managed to get to a ton of interviews, and they then tell me in the rejection emails that I was perfect, but they had too many good candidates so I was rejected.

I've sent emails asking for advice on what I could do to improve, and thanking them for the opportunity regardless.

What the fuck can I even do at this point? I have looked up advice on google but all they ever say is "oh don't give up, you'll get something!" or "Have you considered that you're just mentally ill?"

I know even on an advice board it's probably dumb to expect any sympathy, but i've rewritten my CV for almost every job, rewritten my cover letter, practiced my interview style, consulted with people I know who work in those industries, and yet still nothing.

Is there something i'm missing out here? Because it is wearing me down to the point of mental breakdown.
>>
You try lying? I am dead serious btw. Lie about your background and get a friend to be your reference letter.

I had the same problem with you, couldn't get any job for months and was sick of it. So I fibbed my experience and my brother be my reference. Within a month I got a job with full benefits and I have now been working here for 4 years.
>>
>>17524856
I've not outright lied before but I have embellished some of my experience a bit

Which admittedly I feel bad about doing
>>
I might get into your position with a PhD in chemistry; so far nothing has come of ~10 applications. You might have to change your field.
>>
File: 1456680467760.jpg (109KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1456680467760.jpg
109KB, 1440x810px
>>17524833
Out of curiosity, mind if we can see your CV?

I happen to be in a similar industry as you, so I might have some input.
>>
>>17525200
Different anon, but what about downplaying your resume? Employers might think you're overqualified.
With writing experience, I'm surprised you haven't found a lot of freelance writing opportunities
>>
>>17525200
>I've not outright lied before but I have embellished some of my experience a bit
>Which admittedly I feel bad about doing
Is it possible that they're checking you out and catching you in the lie? That'll kill your chances pretty fast.
>>
>>17525226
If you give me an email i'd be happy to throw it your way. Would rather not post it on here outright, y'know?

I'm seriously always happy for advice on this stuff though, so please be as critical as you can.

If I need to overhaul it, I will.

>>17525232
I've toned it down for more entry-level positions too, but that's such a crowded market and i've been out of uni for a few years now.

As for the freelancing, I do some small things here and there, but it's quick turnaround jobs at best, 1-2 days work, and I don't know how to find enough of them to actually keep afloat.
>>
>mfw accounting major and 3 months no job, same experience

Fuck the world. We have massive unemployment but they keep importing turd worlders to take what few entry level jobs there are. Math says someone has to get screwed...that would be the 18-30 crowd.
>>
>>17524833
If you're that extremely desperate why not start your own publication? or find a start up publication some one to work along with.
>>
>>17524833
>I've also applied for work in retail, catering, the food industry, etc

Anon, I totally can relate. My major was in a science related field though, and throughout college I worked those particular food, and retail jobs to make ends meet. I thought it would be seen as noble in a sense however, it is viewed as contradictive by most employers.

I found out from a friend who worked for this one particular lab facility I strived to work for that they wanted experienced candidates whom had done several internships throughout college, or had relevant work related experience ie.not food and retail.

Apparently it would have been better had I not even included my previous food and retail experience another friend told me. Because, that way the employer could "shape me to suit the needs of the job" was the terminology he used.

Also, I have noticed there are so many individuals with degrees that are older and more experienced that are applying for entry level positions because of the economy and that is causing a lot of us millennials to suffer on the job front. Not to mention if you have a degree many employers for the jobs that do not require a degree will not even give you the time of day if you put the degree on your resume. They assume you will want more apparently, and are over qualified. I have actually had that stated to me by a prospective employer.

What I would recommend though is breaking out on your own. That is what I have resorted to doing. Start your own business, get on youtube and make videos about the current news or tutorials, blog, sell on café press or etsy, read about flipping on reddit for eBay and craigslist. Just start working for yourself instead of waiting because, it sounds like you have reached the point I did. If I can not land a job working for someone else, then I will just work that much harder by investing in, and working for myself.
>>
>>17525266
I've actually tried that too. Problem was I ended up being the only one posting on it, and we couldn't get enough viewership to actually pay for the servers anymore.

I know I should probably work on my own blog more to fill the time though, so i'll do that.
>>
>>17525283
Start writing and self publish on Amazon.
>>
>>17525271

Yeah, that seems to be the case all over. I'm actually amazed I even got to interview on a lot of things, Reed and CV Library show up the number of applicants and I wasn't always one of the first in there.

I do have a blog (Yeah, who doesn't these days) but I haven't had the energy to update it in forever due to other stuff that I won't go into. I should probably focus on that.

I do also make videos and stuff but they're complete trash tier content so eh.

Also, all of you guys, thanks a ton. I'm already feeling better than I did before, and i'm honestly surprised at this board for being decent like this. So thank you, from the bottom of my heart.
>>
>>17525251
Send it to my throwaway address: [email protected]
>>
>>17525296
No problem anon. Just stay motivated, and invest in yourself. Motivation is the key man. No matter how shitty you feel just push through it, and everything will workout if strive to create your own success instead of waiting. I made myself a promise awhile back no more excuses, and it seems to be working.
>>
>>17525283
you know servers can cost literally 7-12 dollars a month? but ignoring that, there's free blogs you can post on, social media, patreon, crowd funding. Build something decent and get a fan base/user base.

There's a lot of things you can do literally for almost no overhead except for your time, the use of a computer and internet.
>>
>>17525308
I've thrown it your way. As I said in the email, i've removed a few things for privacy's sake but otherwise it's all as it normally is.

Thanks again for this, I appreciate it.
>>
>>17525286

Did and done, not a single sale. I'm doing some sneaky marketing now but man. Market is oversaturated.

>>17525271
>they wanted experienced candidates whom had done several internships throughout college

This bullshit. Yeah, let me get two hours of sleep a night through college, which is already hard enough, to work for free before I can start working for pay.
>>
File: 1455851163534.png (633KB, 865x717px) Image search: [Google]
1455851163534.png
633KB, 865x717px
>>17525333
Got it.

Christ, this needs some work. I'll send you back my thoughts when I finish.
>>
>>17525319
Yeah, but when you've very little coming in and it's clear it's not making progress after a year and a half, paying for the server and domain renewal starts not looking promising.

But yeah, there's a ton of other options. I use a Wordpress base for my own blog, for example.

I've debated doing a Patreon for my art and videos, but I don't know if I have people who'd support me there, and i'm a tad nervous of seeming like the kind who bandwagons onto it too.

>>17525346
Alright. Feel free to basically rip me a new one, as I said. As long as I know what I can work on, i'm happy to be told i'm shit, so.

>>17525345
I've a friend who writes novels and puts them up there, and he's had much the same experience. Makes me wary of it too.

Also, I know it's kind of become necessary but working without pay is such a demoralising thing. I'd still be willing to do it for a trial period if there was an actual job afterwards, but it's burnt me a lot.
>>
>>17525357
>I've a friend who writes novels and puts them up there, and he's had much the same experience.

What kind of marketing does he do?

My plan: I put it on dumblr because similar audience target, advertised my dumblr by posting fanart I draw, currently pursuing this. When I get more followers in a few weeks I will make the book have a free day promotion, post to dumblr, then also post to reddit and some free book sites. Readers are fucking jews...book costs less than a cup of coffee. But no one wants to buy something without a few reviews on it first.

What kind of books does your friend write? Maybe we could exchange a purchase and review. [email protected], drop him a message for me.

The only solutions are nepotism and mutual favors. Job market is total ass. My friend wants me to get him a job...I can't even get myself a job man.
>>
File: 1465850896764.png (452KB, 810x678px) Image search: [Google]
1465850896764.png
452KB, 810x678px
>>17525357
Christ, that took me way longer than I wanted to. But it's done. You should have a pretty long email waiting for you in your inbox.

Also, if you want, send me some samples of your work. Might as well get an idea of what your writing style is like and see if that could use improvement.
>>
>>17525553
Right, i've got the email, and am reading over it now. All of this is super useful, so i'm going to get to work on a reformat and rewrite tomorrow.

My covering letter standards seem to already be in line with what you've said, but i'll keep your advice in mind anyway.

As for the examples of my work, i'm about to head out for the night, but i'll throw you some of my stuff when i'm back, if that's good with you.

Thank you so much for the honesty. It is super refreshing and i'm glad I can actually make some progress now.

>>17525480
He mostly writes fantasy novels, but he's not following standard Tolkien lore which is neat.It's above average stuff.

I've thrown him your email, hopefully you two can work something out.
>>
>>17525610
Sure thing. Glad to be of help.
>>
>apply to a school for a volunteer position
>have an amazing interview
>feel good even though i won't be getting paid it will look good on the resume
>get email back within the day wanting me to come back because they are changing the position from volunteer to paid
>FUCK YES
>go in for the second interview and totally crush it
>they are constantly emailing me back asking for information on things they realize they didn't ask
>today I call them back and told I didn't get the position

Armed Forces is looking really good right now. That or suicide.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.