[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I play music with my friend. I take the hobby seriously, practice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 417705.jpg (77KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
417705.jpg
77KB, 300x360px
So I play music with my friend.
I take the hobby seriously, practice every day and make sure all of the songs we do sound good and polished.

He does not take it seriously. He calls himself a "Lazy musician" and basically only practices when we rehearse, which leads to us messing up the songs and having to play them over and over again to get them right.

We had a conversation today, his role is lead guitar, while I play rhythm and lead vocals. He thinks playing lead is too hard and wants me to do that on top of playing vocals, and I'm not at all coordinated enough to pull that off right now. When I told him lead was his responsibility he said "Let me call you back" and hung up.

I don't want to be "that guy" who takes it too seriously to the point to where it isn't fun anymore, but I want to actually progress in our music capabilities and not fuck up when it actually gets to the point of playing in front of people. Is this the point where I need to talk to him about him putting forth more effort or am I being too critical about this and/or do I need to back off a bit?
>>
Talk to him, but be pretty loose. One thing you could also do is split lead a bit, like taking breaks in vocals to take lead a bit then switch back, I did that and helped my "band".
>>
>>17519524
Maybe find a bandm8 who takes his craft a bit more seriously.

Your guy admits he's lazy. OK, fine. Don't try to change him.
>>
>>17519524
I'm like you, I don't see the point of doing something if you aren't doing it well or working to be better so you can do it well in the future.

What's the point of just fucking around?
>>
>>17519524
Give him a chance but be upfront about your goals, it's the only way your band will survive in the long term is if you know all your members are operating with the same goal in mind.

But if he doesn't shape up after you warn him, then don't be afraid to drop him. Like, ultimately if he fails to meet your standards, it will just start to affect your relationship since you'll begin to resent him for holding you back.
>>
I know a guy who studied Music and is striving to be a professional musician. His first band was pretty much how you described, one guy who's very dedicated and one who's not very dedicated at all. They eventually had to break it off and it strained their relationship pretty hard.
>>
>>17519524
The fact that you have always known him, even his aware, as a lazy musician then you cant hold it against him. It sounds like it was started on the predication of jamming and it has turned into something more serious. If you can not play lead and sing and he refuses to play lead then you two should stop playing together plain and simple. But you have to decide where your limits are for keeping him on as a band member as opposed to going back to just jamming together to your favorite songs.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.