[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been on the job search for the last few months since

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I've been on the job search for the last few months since I finished a master's program.

Since then I've become really discouraged about the profession and getting a job because of my lack of success in the job search.

I think at this point (I think) I have depression, and I cant tell if it is from the bad job search, or from other things.

It makes it really hard to be positive and engaged when, for example, I get asked questions like "what excites you about this role?" I basically have no good answer for these types of things, besides "I just want a fuckin job."

The job application process has always been a major point of anxiety for me, because I just am not good at it. I feel like I drop my spaghetti at every interview.

This is starting to take a toll on me, and I am starting to consider saying fuck all and throwing my degree away (again), because I cant find a job, which probably isn't productive in teh long run.
How do I stay focused, stay from getting discouraged, not let this quiet and private depression overtake this very important part of my life?

How do I answer interview questions successfully? How do I go through the interview process successfully?
>>
>>17518946
Been there (MA in film studies).

What's your masters in? What kind of jobs are looking for?
>>
>>17519191
You got your ma in film? What are you doing with it
>>
>>17519191
Not using it. Stayed at my alma mater to work in admissions.
>>
>>17519191
Social studies teacher
>>
Bmup
>>
>>17519581
>>17518946
Get a job in anything you can (within the bounds of reason and tolerability) and plug away at it while you find teaching jobs. You'll eventually find a teaching job (c'mon, it's not like you want to be an astronaut), and you'll have a payslip and the chance to learn some new skills and plug a hole in your CV in the interim.

Maybe you'll even like the thing youdo in the interim.

>I get asked questions like "what excites you about this role?" I basically have no good answer for these types of things, besides "I just want a fuckin job."
That's easy. "Well, I really liked studying the subject myself, and I'd like to be able to give kids the same opportunity. Social studies are really important, they help kids to understand the world around them, yadda, yadda."
>>
>>17520699
Thanks for the advice. I'm not *really* interested in going into another field, although yeah it is an obvious backup plan. I don't have to really worry about it too much, because I can substitute teach in the meantime.

My main concern is the INTERNALIZING the dispositions of a good candidate for a position, which in this case is teaching, but this is relevant to any job I think. I can go in and maybe say some bullshit, but I'll spaghetti harder that way.

I'd like to talk about this depressing weight, that I feel is holding me down. How can I let this go? How do I stay moderated, and not feel so crushed by rejection or jaded by no-response?
>>
Hiring is done by idiots who have no interest in being good at their job. Don't take any of it personally, it's no reflection on you.
>>
>>17518946
job hunting IS one of the single most soul-destroying activities known to man or woman, so your depression is a sane response to an insane situation, and not a sign of any weakness in you.

that said, the average first job hunt takes about 6 months, so it sounds like you are not into panic time yet. Just keep slogging at it.

(It wouldn't hurt to get a temp or part-time job, or do some volunteer work, during the interval, just to get you out of the house.)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.