[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need job advice. >graduate >3.2 gpa, no internships, one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1318974061878.jpg (177KB, 1680x1120px) Image search: [Google]
1318974061878.jpg
177KB, 1680x1120px
Need job advice.

>graduate
>3.2 gpa, no internships, one volunteer experience
>been 3 months, applying for jobs
>get overlooked or turned down for everything
>could probably get good job (A) if I got lucky (50k)
>3 months, feel like shit, thinking about applying for shit job (B) (35-40k)

Should I apply under my level to job B, work there like a year, then move up to job A? Or should I keep applying for job A? I can survive financially 3 more months of unemployment. I'm supposed to be able to get job A right out of college, but they all want internship experience which I don't have. The main hiring season for my field is in fall, so it's coming up, but you don't necessarily start work in fall. They hire many months in advance commonly.
>>
File: why not both.jpg (31KB, 419x261px) Image search: [Google]
why not both.jpg
31KB, 419x261px
why can't you apply for both?
>>
>>17518696
Get an internship.
>>
>>17518718

Internships just fall out of trees... There's none available if you already graduated, as backwards as that sounds.

>>17518715

So, should I just take whatever I get offered first, then?
>>
>>17518735
if B gets back to you first, stall them for a day or two and see if A replies. if not, then go with B.

if you take B and then A comes back and asks you for an interview, do the interview. if A then hires you, then tell B you're very sorry but you got offered another job opportunity that you couldn't pass up. give them your notice and then move over to A.

if A says no, they're not interested, then explain to them that you hadn't been able to do an internship before you graduated, and ask what other qualifications they'd consider in lieu of an internship. most likely they just want some kind of experience, and they tell people they want internship experience because that's all that new graduates are likely to have. but I have to think they'd also accept actual job experience.

if that's the case, then work at B (or whatever you can get that's in your field, if possible). boom, now you're getting job experience. meanwhile, keep calling A back every 3-6 months and asking if they have any openings. if they do, send them an updated resume with your new job experience on it.

good luck OP!
>>
>>17518788

Well alright then. Thank you for the detailed breakdown...It's like you know how asspie I am. I'll try it, thanks, friend.
>>
>>17518696
>could probably get job

Ay you're doin better than me and on the same timescale. I graduated with honors but live in a place that is horrible for entry level jobs. My area is usually ranked in the top 10 worst
>>
>>17518813
it's all good man, I have a touch of teh assburgers myself
>>
>>17518825

I purposely moved to a place with a booming economy and I still can't get a job, so no, I'm the biggest loser in the room. Rent is also astronomical.

I guess I'll just spam aps and annoy someone into hiring me. Just annoying because everyone is expecting me to get a prestigious job right out the gate...

>>17518839

Heh, well, 4chan is the place for that.
>>
>>17518869
Shit man if you're going to move you go somewhere cheao that's near a city with a ton of jobs.
>>
>>17518875

I bike commute, I can't live in the burbs.

>cheap
>near a lot of jobs/place where you want to live

pick one.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.