[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are people *really* entitled to respect and basic decency?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: penis.jpg (17KB, 540x296px) Image search: [Google]
penis.jpg
17KB, 540x296px
Are people *really* entitled to respect and basic decency? Why or why not?
>>
You can feel free to argue the negative on that.
>>
I think so, at least until they do something to lose that privilege. There's no reason to be an ass to someone for the sake of being an ass.

I disagree with that pic though. Society and the economy changes with every generation and every generation feels like older generations don't understand them. The only difference now is that we live in an age where people can express their opinions a lot more quickly and to a lot more people, which makes older generations think millennials are entitled, and millennials think they're being attacked.
>>
Even my parents say that they had it better than me, with more promising aspirations. Wages have been depressed year after year, house prices are through the roof, rentals are high, student loans you'll be paying off for decades. At my age my parents were buying their first house, without assistance from family. I'm no bum, I'm working as a teacher, same job as my mum, but still struggling to save anywhere near the deposit to put on a house. Many people need vast assistance from family to buy a home, few can earn it entirely off their own back as in decades ago.

Millennials realistically are in a situation where the job market is bad, wages are poor, housing and goods are expensive, transport is costly. And they can't get things like a house of their own to raise a family, unlike generations before. It's not entitlement to base expectations on what generations before you had. Lots of children remain living at home well into adulthood, even if they have a good job, because the cost of living and rentals are so high that moving out makes saving for a deposit on a home an impossibility. That's not what our parents had, it's what our Victorian ancestors had when multiple generations had to share a home.

Wanting a home of your own to start a family is about wanting decency and respect, not being entitled. It's what our parents and those before had opportunity to do, that many now cannot reasonably hope for. It is gas lighting to criticise people for that, older generations are partly responsible for the state of the economy and housing that mean the opportunities they had (affordable housing, free education, good jobs) are closing up.
>>
>>17517693
>I think so, at least until they do something to lose that privilege. There's no reason to be an ass to someone for the sake of being an ass.
Pretty much this.
>>
>>17517687
Are you 'entitled' to it? No. You can't assume everyone has done something in life that warrants being treated like they aren't a child rapist, because there are child rapists out there.

You should treat everyone with decency and respect. YOU should treat everyone with decency and respect. You should not expect to be treated like an equal, because you may not be. It shouldn't be hard to prove if you are, and I doubt if someone was really an equal, they would complain about not being treated as one.
>>
Sure, unless they're being an ass. But this is tumblr, odds are the person actually is acting like an ass and is having a tantrum.
>>
>>17517687
>Are people *really* entitled to respect and basic decency? Why or why not?
No. It is good to treat people with respect and basic decency until you have proof that they have lost that privilege, but the privilege CAN be lost, amd that means it is not an entitlement. People ARE, however, entitled to be treated as though they have not lost the privilege until they demonstrate that they have: presumption of innocence and all that.

There are two ways in which stereotypical millennials tend to go wrong with this. One is in an over-expansive definition of "respect and basic decency" to which they think they are entitled: starting at the top, infinite second chances, enablers on demand, making all the decisions themselves, romantic conversations with random strangers, etc. The other is a too-narrow definition of when one ought to lose the privilege: for example, thinking that randomly hitting on people wearing headphones (signalling clearly to strangers that they want to be left alone) should be considered acceptable behavior.
>>
>>17517687
Yes, but there's gotta be some mutuality and innocence involved. If you're going around punching people just to pick fights, then yeah they should clamp down on people like that explicitly for the sake of other people around.

I agree with the OP image 100% though. Given that a lot of people, especially retail workers, are given scraps offthe table for the enormous chunk of their lives that they're giving to filling some fat cat's pockets, it's completely justified. Never underestimate gaslighting, people know how that shit works and how to abuse it. Some parents even do that shit, and it's a staple of abusive relationships.
>>
>>17517687
Yes everyone should be entitled to basic respect. That is, you should treat others with respect, and if anyone denies you respect, you are fully justified in cutting that shit out of your life. Of course, there's power imbalance everywhere. Employers often treat their employees like shit (for one example) because they usually hold the power in the relationship, and these people are, in a word, bullies and assholes. They are the ones who are in the wrong.
>>
>>17517687
>>>/pol/

Not even sure where this would fit t b h

But yes, people should show basic decency it's why we teach (taught) kids manners.
>>
>>17518053
The student loan meme needs to die. It's not my fault that every little girl wants to be a psychologist and go to fucking Villanova. Why should I have to pay for that? Subsidize community colleges and improve public schools.
>>
I remember when I was in elementary school after saying the pledge of allegiance we would say another plege "I pledge to treat each man and woman with the respect and dignity that is each person's right as a human being"

I always liked that, but I've never been able to find anything written down about those words, I guess it was just something someone at that school thought up.
>>
>>17517687
i try to treat people with respect until they demonstrate that they dont deserve it
>>
Basic human decency - Yes, everyone deserves that until they prove they themselves are not a decent human (a murderer for example)

Respect - No, no one is entitled and inherently deserving of respect. Respect must be earned.
Your words are not entitled to respect, your views are not entitled to respect, and your actions aren't either.
If someone chooses to respect you it's because you've earned it from them.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.