[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be chinese >adopted by white American parents >my whole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (36KB, 500x726px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 500x726px
>be chinese
>adopted by white American parents
>my whole life I felt accepted and treated normally by everyone
>except other (non-adopted) asians
>always asking me if I'm whitewashed
>what is it like "growing up white"
>"don't you wish you were raised by your real parents?"

What is wrong with being adopted by a different race?

Why does race matter?

Why do people care?

I love my parents. They gave me a lovely home, pay for my college education, and have loved me like their own for as long as they've had me in their lives. I couldn't even imagine living in a more loving household. Why do so many Asian people have a hard time grasping that?
>>
Its not just Asian people it's all people.
t. 3rd gen immigrant
>>
before you can expect people to understand you, you must try to understand them.

this isn't to say you should agree with them, but your life is the only you've ever known, and theirs is theirs. so think about theirs.

they may not (or at least not all of them) may not be saying that there is something wrong with your up bringing, but they might be curious. despite hwo non racist we think we are, we do tend to think of our species as having a sort of same mind.

so asians wont ask white people what its like growing up white, but they will ask another asian who was adopted because they subconsciously think of the asian as having some similar baseline they share that the white people dont.

its complex and ab it hard to explain, but you have to remember that even white kids adopted by white parents wonder what it'd be like to be raised by their real parents. that doesnt mean tehy hate their adopted parents or resent the situation.

but they are curious. and other people are curious. consider it part of the 'getting to know you' process.

like a gay guy having to explain that he doesnt take it up the butt
>>
its called racism op. and it reaches all people, white, black, red, tan, yellow brown, purple, blue.

its sad people are like that
don't you wish everyone was like your parents
I do
>>
>>17504424

All non-white races in America typically have a vicious sense of community; particularly asians. Being related to any whiteness is sometimes seen as a sense of betrayal by some.

If you're asking "Why do people care about race" you're shit out of luck. If anyone had the answer to that then we wouldn't have racism.

It has nothing to do with you or how awesome your family is and everything to do with them. A lot of non-white groups feel victimized by whites or still harbor resentment from past marginalization. Like my 80 year old black grandfather is still a little pissed about the whole civil rights thing.

Its like if your dad was a cop and you met a bunch of people whose family members were killed by a cop. They'd treat you poorly. Is it fair? No, but the human brain doesn't make a lot of sense some times. Its just irrational transference. Nothing you can do.
>>
>>17504435

>its racist to ask what its like to grow out wihtout asiant heritage
>its racist to ask someone if they wish they knew their real parents
>>
>>17504433
your reading this out of context.
they aren't nicely asking these things.
its done out of hate and racism.

there is a difference between being curious and being an asshole. Saying "Don't you wish you were raised by your real parents?" to someone who was adopted.. thats some shit you don't say to someone, even if you are curious. who the fuck does that.
>>
>>17504454

really? maybe its the wording i thought of it more as a
>do you ever wish you were raised by your real parents?

as opposed to
>don't you

which is more insistent.

only OP knows the tone, and assuming you're OP, then i can understand your issue. I have a similar one with people asking questions about my faggotry.

all i mean to say is that some people may not be being racist, some may just be curious. and if curiousity is something to get offended over as the end of your post implies, than it doesnt really matter if someones being racist at all then.

you give off conflicting feelings here.
>>
>>17504461
>>17504450
Let me ask you this, assume you are in their shoes, and you have a friend. Do you ask him those questions? No you don't.

And there is a difference between saying

>what is it like "growing up white"

>Whats it like to grow up with a different heritage id like to learn more?

>Anon what are some things you've learned about the meaning of the word 'parents' while growing up, id like to learn?

See the difference?

>>17504461
I am assuming judging from what OP said.

">what is it like "growing up white"

What is wrong with being adopted by a different race?

Why does race matter?

Why do people care?

Why do so many Asian people have a hard time grasping that?"

did I read something different? sorry?
>>
>>17504424
It doesn't matter OP, don't think too hard into it. People normally give me weird looks when I tell them I don't speak Spanish (Mexican last name from dad's side) or Khmer ( Cambodian mom). It's definitely not just Asians.

A white family from the church I used to go to adopted a black daughter a year or two ago, imagine how niggers in public school will treat her for being "whitewashed" when she starts attending

t. 1st gen American that knows nothing about his heritage.
>>
>>17504424
Ain't nothing wrong with it far as I can see. Fact is, you are who you are. I don't really know why anyone would go to any length to make fun of someone because of something as trivial as who your parents are, skin color, etc. All this stuff plays a role in who you are yes, but not so much so to the point where you deserve to get shit for it. Possibly by accociation yes, but none of thai stuff really changes the fact that you, like evryone else, are some human trying to live their life until they die. That's it.

Really at the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I bet that while some of the folks asking you about this stuff think it's bad that your adoptive parents are white, others are just curious about what it was like for you to grow up as an adopted child - possibly also putting thought into the skin color/cultural barrier. So I really wouldn't put too much into it.
>>
>>17504791
>t. 1st gen American that knows nothing about his heritage.

Oh man thats the strangest of feels. I consider myself fully and straight up American in every sense of the word (I'm ethnically a flipfag) and running into other flips is weird since they all have that sense of community yet I feel absolutely no attachment to that shithole. Feels bad though with the narrative changing so that people like us are slowly being excluded from the American identity by weird ass nativist white people trying to coopt the identity again but fuck that I'm as American as the rest of you white fucks and I'll die in the only country I know and love
>>
Asians (born and raised in Asia) seem to lack empathy.
Perhaps because of the way they are raised.
I was going to adopt a chinese baby and my chinese friends were indignant.
"why do you want to raise another families child?"
They could not grasp the idea,to them it was anathema to care for a child not blood related.
So,something very lacking in the empathy department.
And, they were even more horrified when they knew I was intending to adopt a GIRL !
Very sad that they think like this.
>>
>>17504431
This.

It's also not just race, but literally anything.

t. Another being cursed with this existence
>>
>>17504431
>>17505834
>t.

What does this stand for?
>>
>>17506145
>t. newfag
>>
>>17506168
Witty. But is it supposed to stand for a word?
>>
>>17506183
Yes. It's short for "That"
>>
>>17506145
>t. newfag

>>17506184
>That
>t. summerfag
>>
>>17504424
>What is wrong with being adopted by a different race?
Interracial adoption is a controversy that makes some very strange bedfellows, crossing political lines in weird ways. It has been used more than once as a tool of genocide, and this ugly history makes many (though not all) liberals recoil from it. Conservative arguments against it tend to be more straightforward -your standard /pol/ bullshit- but you will also find many cobservatives who support it. Maybe even more than liberals.

>Why does race matter?
That is a complex issue that no one has been able to provide a complete and satisfying answer for. I'm sorry.

>Why do people care?
Because they use assumptions about other races, AND about their own, to try to relate to people. Often this is done with good intentions, but sometimes not. Either way, as someone raised by people of a diferent race than your own, you throw many of those assumptions into doubt, and that makes people uncomfortable. There is nothing you can do about this. I am sorry.
>>
>>17506145
It's something that should have stayed on /v/

But yeah way to reveal yourself. Lurk more and try again faggot.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.