[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm really struggling with handling emotion in general,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1457433331325.jpg (147KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1457433331325.jpg
147KB, 766x960px
I'm really struggling with handling emotion in general, in particular, anger and negative feeling about myself. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for a long time and I'm trying to improve myself.

I have spent a long time repairing my life. I dropped out of uni after having a mental breakdown and I've spent 2 years unemployed. I'm finally starting to do stuff I used to again and I'm getting better.

I play a lot of online games and the success or failure I have in them basically dictates my entire mood. When I start to lose, my body temperature gets very hot and I really have to focus on not losing my shit with people. If I get trashed all day, I literally consider suicide and spiral into an extremely negative mood where I focus on all of my flaws and everything I hate about myself. Today I lost 7 games of dota in a row and I spent the entire evening thinking about writing a suicide note, how I'd kill myself, how much I wish I was dead, whatever.

It sounds really stupid and trivial. I constantly remind myself how it's just a game and I can't control some of the factors as to why I lose. I accept all the responsibility for what mistakes I made and I don't take it out on my fellow players.

If I have a good day and do well, I feel great for most of the day. Unfortunately that doesn't happen very often because I suck.

I'm trying to improve myself and let go of stress and negative emotion, but this is one aspect of myself I can't seem to fix. I'm too competitive and reminding myself it's a game and shit doesn't matter to me.

I know it sounds like the stupidest shit but this really means a lot to me. I've always had dreams of going pro and that will never happen if I don't fix this.

Am I bi-polar? I seem to suffer such extremes of emotion, from elation to absolute fury where it's taking all of my energy not to break my fists smashing the wall. I jump from chill to 10/10 mad in minutes.
>>
Stop playing video games, they're for children.
>>
>>17499920
videogames are pretty much the only thing I am alive for at the moment which is pathetic considering how unhappy they often make me
>>
>>17499927
Well stop it, that's a stupid waste of time.
>>
>>17499942
If I don't have games to fill my time with I will be dead within a week. I'm unemployed and it's the only thing keeping my sane. They're all I get up for and the only thing I get excited about.

Everything you do when you aren't working is a waste of time. It's an irrelevant criticism to make.
>>
>>17499942
Video games is a hobby like any other.
>>
>>17499954
When I'm unemployed I look for jobs. It has taken me longer than 6 months a few times. Its not a coincidence that you spend all day playing games and that your life is garbage. Quit trying to improve your mental state by focusing on juvenile pastimes and improve your life by working or getting medical treatment
>>
>>17499957
It's physically unhealthy, costs money, is antisocial and is win/lose. If op went fishing all day and caught nothing you think that'd mean a night of suicide note drafts? Reading books is not possible to fail at.
>>
>>17499954
>It's an irrelevant criticism to make.
it's not a criticism, I'm sure it's fun. It's concrete advice. Games are stupid and bad for you.
>>
>>17500014
most of my life revolves around gaming. it's where I met the people that mean the most to me and it's the only way I've found to fill my time that I enjoy.

how am I supposed to just give up all of that on a whim? I don't have anything to replace it with. I'd never see my friends because that's all they do as well.

>>17499984
I've done 4 cycles of clinical treatment, pills, whatever. nothing changes. I improve my mental state, start doing things normal people do, then have a breakdown and crash again. there's nothing left a shrink can say to fix me. I don't know why I expected anything different here
>>
>>17500026
You're wasting your time
You don't have any friends
There are more than 4 pills and 4 kinds of therapy and none of them are video games.
>>
>>17500038
You can project all you like but I've known these guys in real life for 10 years. They are absolutely my friends. Your viewpoint on games is fine and you're entitled to your opinion, but don't tell who my friends are and aren't without even knowing me. That's just foolish.

I can't afford counselling and I was discharged again just recently from the free service in my town. If you'd offer an alternative to videogames I'd be glad to hear it
>>
>>17499904
You don't need to stop playing video games because they're "bad" or "anti-social". They might be, but it's not important. You need to stop playing video games because your mood is, according to you, entirely dictated by them.

You are attaching your "self" to them. To start detaching from them, consider playing in different ways. Instead of always trying to win and stressing about tactics or FPS or whatever makes it more likely that you win, try to appreciate a different aspect. For example, talk to the other people playing. What are they like? How was the game designed? Maybe the game is just visually pretty (I'm just guessing, I haven't played DOTA).

You could also continue trying to win, but expand your perception of yourself playing the game. Maybe you can realize that sometimes, it is best to take a break when you are on a losing streak instead of grinding yourself on it and losing more and more.

Most importantly, keep noticing how the game affects your mood, in real-time, not just after the match is over. Really feel that anger, or sadness, or happiness, etc. When you notice your mood changing, stop playing for 1-2 minutes to let that emotion pass.

When I was able to notice the beginning and end of anger/sadness/etc. in myself, it became much easier to prevent it from taking control.
>>
>>17500063
I think you raise a good point, but perhaps it would be better if I cut them out entirely. Often I have long breaks and I'm still feeling the strength of the emotion hours later. I don't have control over my impulses and feelings at all and I need to find a way to regain them.
>>
>>17500058
>I'd never see my friends [without videogames]
>They are absolutely my friends.
pick one
>>
>>17500006
>physically unhealthy
well yes, if you abuse it, anything can be physically unhealthy.
>costs money
And what hobby doesn't cost money?
>is antisocial and win/lose
It's only antisocial if you make it, you can always talk to other players.

No offense, but that last statement makes you sound weak minded. Who doesn't strive to win?
>>
>>17500090
>>physically unhealthy
>well yes, if you abuse it, anything can be physically unhealthy.
it's physically unhealthy with no abuse needed
>>costs money
>And what hobby doesn't cost money?
walking
>>is antisocial and win/lose
>It's only antisocial if you make it, you can always talk to other players.
noob faggot
>No offense, but that last statement makes you sound weak minded. Who doesn't strive to win?
craftsmen, artists, basically anyone who takes pride in themselves or their work.
>>
>>17500058
get /fit/
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.