[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>small town >only $2k to my name >2 jobs >almost

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: workyjob.jpg (55KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
workyjob.jpg
55KB, 720x960px
>small town
>only $2k to my name
>2 jobs
>almost no spare time
>car is kinda fucked up, so no reliable method of long distance transportation
>still living with parents (only 18 tho so it's not that bad)

I hate how my life has turned out so far, and I really want to change it. My dream job is acting, but I have absolutely no idea where to start, given the above limitations. What do?

(pic somewhat related. it me)
>>
>>17494590
Fix your car. Go to college for drama and be the next Steve Buscemi.
>>
>>17494594
You don't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars to get into acting. An education helps, but don't run face first into debt without a backup plan.

$2k is a good start for someone your age. Save up another $2k if you can.

Where is the nearest major city? (Metro Population 500k+)
Move there, find a shitty one room apartment, move there. Look into temp agencies for work exp. Save up a few more grand and then look into higher education (community college or scholarships), study drama and join local theatre groups, but double major in something useful like business or STEM.
>>
>>17494615
I'm a couple hours out from Tallahassee. The bad part about the $2k is that I've had one job for almost 2 years now, and I just got the second job like 2 months ago. I was planning on moving to Tallahassee this coming summer anyway, so I guess that takes care of that. How do I make sure that I don't make myself look like an idiot when I'm just starting out though? I don't have any idea if I'm actually good at acting (although I imagine I would be). Should I do school first and then look for acting work, or the other way around?
>>
>>17494639
There's nothing bad about that.
Living with your parents and working 2 jobs, even if they're shitty minimum wage jobs, is an advantageous position. You can just hunker down and pile up cash.

Do a job first, and acting on the side - just super casual stuff: improv, acting workshops, small theatre. Get a feel for it and see how you like it/how it works. All experience is good experience, and if you don't have to pay (much) for it, all the better. After like, 6 months, seriously look into the school thing - apply aggressively to scholarships too, you'd be surprised what's out there, and if you apply to enough you're bound to get something.

Same applies to acting, honestly. Hell if things go well you could leapfrog to Miami or Houston in a few years and look into small films and off-broadway - if things go well.
>>
>>17494639
Also, don't worry about looking like an idiot. If there's one thing I've learned about transitioning into adulthood its that nobody knows what the fuck they're doing.

Fake it til you make it. Fake confidence, fake charm, and before long, it becomes real. It sounds silly but its what works.
>>
>>17494590
>only $2k to my name
>2 jobs
>car

you are way the fuck ahead of everyone else your age mate.
>>
>>17494692
Thank
>>17494697
I get that, but I'm really not good with criticism (normally only when I know that I fucked up though).
>>17494699
I dunno about that.
Most of my recently-graduated friends are already living on their own, with jobs and cars, in college, and making more money than me. Either way, being ahead of other people isn't doing it for me, because my jobs are shit, and my situation isn't quite getting better, and I just want out. (thanks tho ;*)
>>
>>17494590
1: what are you spending your money on?
2: acting, you can go to school, or look for a play house and get involved with play acting on stage, ect.
>>
>>17494749
I bought a car in like january or december and it costed $5,300, which left me with around $150 in the bank. Insurance just went up to $330~ a month, which is more than I make a week. I'm also buying food (I usually eat at work for 2 meals, but I get half off), and sometimes I'll buy a few records.

I'm kinda iffy about stage acting. It'd be worth a shot tho I reckon. I'll probably try to just do part-time college and only take computer science and drama classes.
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 640x640px
>>17494770
Also just remembered I'm paying for Netflix (only like $10 a month) and cell data ($30 a month)
>>
>>17494741
>Most of my recently-graduated friends are already living on their own, with jobs and cars, in college, and making more money than me with my two jobs

Where do you live?
>>
>>17494770
What kind of car? Sheeit. The most expensive car i have ever owned is 3000, and not a single one has died on me. And im 23
>>
>>17494780
Niceville, FL
>>17494783
2004 Chevy Malibu maxx. It's not that the car died on me or anything, it's that I rear-ended someone and took my front bumper off, and now I'm missing a few things under the hood, and there are other minor problems that are probably unrelated.
>>
>>17494805
That is a nice ass car for an 18 year old.
>>
>>17494813
If only you could see it now lmao
And again, it diiiiiid empty my bank account.
>>
>>17494805
I hope you didnt get that malibu anytime in the past few years, otherwise you got jipped. Cause it is worth less than 3k even in pristine condition.
>>
>>17494820
Ye I did. Not much I can do about that now tho.
>>
File: 1458011902688.png (51KB, 138x182px) Image search: [Google]
1458011902688.png
51KB, 138x182px
>>17494590
Take into consideration that 2k to your name at 18 is pretty good considering that most millennials are incapable of saving.
Have you taken a look into community college classes, or enrolling into a local college? In addition, if acting is the way you want to go, make sure you work on your craft - experience can only help you in the long run. Work on singing and impersonations, watch musicals and some classic films, get involved with a local theater group.
>>
>>17494830
I've been singing to myself a lot, and the majority of my customers at work (I usually work the drive through) have told me that I have a great voice (or words to that effect), and should go into radio, work at Disney world, be a pilot (???), etc.
Didn't quite make the connection between singing and acting, but I guess it does make sense.
>>
>>17494830
>>17494846
Anyway, I haven't looked into college classes that much, but I do know what kind of classes I want to take. My main problem with college rn is kinda familiar: no idea how to start.
>>
During my teens and early 20's I basically lived on no money. It is really surprising how little you need to get by if you are prepared to let your expectations in life drop down to the level of basic food and shelter.

What got to me in the end was feeling like I wasn't making any progress towards longer term goals and a slight sense of dread that I was cultivating skills and a mindset which would lead me down a certain path in life because you inevitably become what you spend most of your time doing.

I moved to a city and worked roughly 10-15 hours a week alongside some self employed work to cover my basic needs again, but this time I had an address and stuff. For the rest of my 20's this was absolutely fine because I had a good balance between having only a little money, but also plenty of free time to do things good, but cheap.

By the time I'd turned 30 my 'career' had taken off and now I'm 34 and I've a car which is paid and own (90% paid off) a house. This is the first time I feel like I've reached a period of imbalance because basically I work 40+ hours a week, yet my outgoings are large enough to leave me with with still about the same tiny amount of money I had all those years ago except this time I don't have the free time to do things good, but cheap.

Instead it is like spinning wheels constantly anxious that something will break and I've have neither the time or money to fix it. I understand this is what life gets like when you take on responsibilities and I am slowly meeting long term goals, but again a slight sense of dread that I'm cultivating skills and a mindset which will lead me down a certain path in life inevitably becoming what I spend most of my time doing.

A closed off wage slave who sets expectations low and shits on anything else because I can't have it.

I'm reaching a point where I'm going to have to make another significant change and start looking out for myself because nobody else is and otherwise isn't going to get any better.
>>
>>17494951
Anyway. I ran out of space before I could get to the advice.

Moving cities wasn't easy, but was formative for me, creating stress, but also opportunities and a chance to recreate myself. I didn't want to be stuck in a boring small town having a boring life and a bad reputation building up the skills and abilities needed to become a massive shit head. Think about making a change unless you want to gradually become a guy facing death on the instalment plan working fast food in a small town.

The major benefit of being young is you don't have commitments and you can move to where opportunities are. This is kind of terrifying, but it is one of your strengths. Don't cripple yourself by trying to play adult before you need to because you aren't in a position to do so effectively, you don't need to and it isn't yet one of your strengths. Others will try and convince you to do so, implying that otherwise you aren't growing up or behaving like an adult, but that is their expectations and what they want to see because it validates them. They aren't you and can't remember being like you without super naive nostalgia vision where they were awesome all the time in their own heads. Also the world and time they inhabited is gone.
>>
>>17494967
Dude im 21 years old and im in basically the same boat not much money living fine with a lot of free time. What you're saying is so fucking poetic and true. we shouldnt rush things and just take our time and seize all the opportunities we can while we are young i agree with this
>>
>>17494590
The first thing you need to do (and im very serious) is educate yourself..

Why you ask?

How many people in the world want to act ?
1-5% of them get a job
10% of those people get more work
5% of those make it above "c" grade work you are a nobody and have no name in the industry so what makes you stand out?

If you had taken drama and cinematography in uni you would have ano advantage over your peers that also aspier to act.

Also it may have the added benefit of you learning how to do things for yourself. At the age of 18 you shouldn't be turning to 4chin for life adv faggot.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.