[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I love aviation, and I love fixing things. That's why I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: debt.png (12KB, 358x260px) Image search: [Google]
debt.png
12KB, 358x260px
I love aviation, and I love fixing things. That's why I chose it as a profession. But right now, I have $500 left in the bank, and I have $2000 of credit limit available on a credit card that I don't wanna use. The only things I can sell are my tools, and then I couldn't do my job.

I'm $115k in debt - mostly from student loans, but also from using credit accounts to buy the necessary tools and in some cases relocate myself from job to job, trying to find enough income to pay down my debts faster. I've gotten on federal REPAYE, so those loans are at least down to a very low minimum payment. I will call tomorrow about deferring a large chunk of other loan payments, as I haven't used any of the allotted deferment period yet.

I do budget, just to be clear. Every purchase is accounted for in YNAB.

My parents are unable to help - we've lived paycheck to paycheck all of my life. They've already devoted extra time and money to helping pack me up and move me away multiple times. I'm 300mi from home now, renting a room from a friend, and I have lost my job recently due to my own performance. Dumb mistakes cost me a great position.

I just got back from interviewing with one of the biggest airlines in the US, and it seems promising that they will offer me a job. But it's in San Francisco, where I can't even afford to take the job if they do make an offer.

I feel stupid, I know I'm in a stupid position, and I don't know what to do.

How can I fix my mistakes? What can I do, considering there are no other (viable) aviation jobs here in this college town?
>>
>>17493868

How much does the job in Cali pay? Get some shit apt somewhere and commute two hours each way.

Doesn't seem like you have any other options.
>>
>>17493880
Roughly $2,200/mo.

My debts are a minimum of $1,185/mo.

My fixed costs besides housing are about $800.

I am considering living in the employee parking lot, in the back of my truck.
>>
you really fucked up wow. how is someone so stupid? like why did you invest 115k into nothing at all? you didnt need to go to college to learn how to be a mechanic.

anyway, you have a computer so sell it. sell everything you own. everything. if you get that job find the most piss poor place you can stay at and consider a homeless shelter. if you live miles from the job then take the bus, walk or bike even if it takes hours to get there. cut out all unneed excess food; count calories so that you eat exactly 2000 or whatever number every day and only that. also theres nothing really wrong with making the minimum payments. if you could pay it back all at once then you wouldnt have borrowed in the first place

good luck retard
>>
>>17493888

Shit man. Run away to the Airforce / Navy?
>>
>>17493888
jesus christ how does any college graduate have a job that pays sub 4000/month. let me guess: you dont have insurance or a retirement plan either? wow....
>>
>>17493894

That's the shitty part - you don't even need a degree to work doing what I do, you just need the FAA Certificate.

I got a bachelor's because I thought it was a good idea.
>>
>>17493896

I'm 26, out of shape, and I'm not sure that option makes sense given that I've got private loans in addition to federal ones. And the credit card debt won't be deferred through military service.

>>17493909
Correct, no insurance and all of the jobs I've done so far have had no retirement plans. The job offer in San Francisco does, however. I just probably won't be able to take it.
>>
bump for advice? help?
>>
>>17493868

What tools were you buying? Could you resell them?
>>
Trade some of your tools for knee pads and make up. Make a backpage account and pimp out your mouth and boi pucci for playboys in San Fran.
>>
>>17494121

Screwdrivers that hold up to our phosphate-ester based hydraulic fluid, sockets that are skinny enough to slip into certain places, sockets that are built with U-joints in them (swivels), a ratchet that wasn't skipping teeth, seal picks, big gearwrenches, small gearwrenches, a set of 1/4" and 3/8" extensions that stay together, a screw gun, a drill motor, punches, chisels, prybars, files, mirrors, flashlights, magnifying glasses, safety wire pliers, aviation electrical pliers, good quality general pliers (lots of hard stainless to cut), adapters and bits of all kinds, hammers and mallets and drifts and punches... The list goes on.

It's got resale value - well below what I paid for it. And then if I sell it, I am effectively not worth hiring because EVERY JOB for an A&P working on aircraft (which is what I am) requires that you have your own tools, often times to meet their "minimum tool list."
>>
>>17494133
>>17494141
On a serious note OP, have you considered being an elevator installer? I started working at Otis (a national company) in backwater Arkansas, with no previous experience, earning 18.50/hr. In a year I was up to 20. Once you finish school and on the job training you can make some amazing cash
>>
You should seriously consider becoming a carpenter. The money you could make in your free time plus some big jobs would get you out of debt in a couple of years, 4 tops. No joke, read up on it.
>>
>>17494165
This is something we were told about in school - elevator installation and maintenance apparently like people who have A&P certificates.

>>17494227
I've done plenty of amateur carpentry, and I know right now I do not have the tools for it - I'd need a saw, nail belt, hammer, cat's paw, easy bar, and a few other power tools that make things easier to do in a professional capacity.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.