[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is college really a meme? I want to be a programmer or get some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1470275027715.jpg (43KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
1470275027715.jpg
43KB, 600x606px
Is college really a meme?

I want to be a programmer or get some desk job

If I could buy some books on programming, grind for a couple of years then I'll do it.
I got a dad who's doing something similar, if I talk to him, I can probably get connections and hopefully get some job.

but is college or a degree really necessary for this?

I also want to start out part time due to some medical mumbo jumbo and disabilities
>>
depends where you live, I guess. a lot of employers aren't interested in training people and also won't give a fuck if you studied everything yourself. they want degrees and certifications.
>>
>>17493630
Despite what people may tell you yes a degree is important. HR will filter lots of applicants who don't have a bachelors and or equivalent experience. Not to say you can't get by without it but it will be tougher.
>>
Just do what I did man, commute to a cheap local state school for the Cs or related program. Get the piece of paper and learn while you're in school look at the job requirements and get what they want while your in school.

WHY?
It's easier to learn for most in a structured environment, you may meet some people who can connect you to a job. It will make finding a job much easier and if people get laid off having a degree helps my friend. If you care about social circles it does help being college educated because now a days people will look down on you.

Sorry, im just speaking the truth man.
>>
>>17493630
>I want to be a programmer or get some desk job

Unless you're basically a prodigy, there is a pretty much a hard cap as to how far you can go without a degree.

I've got a family friend who worked as a programmer for years even during the dot com boom. He was self taught and had nearly two decades of working experience in the field, but by the late 2000's he was unable to find any work and as forced to take employment elsewhere because no one would hire him for anything more than limited contractor work and he wanted stable employment (he now drives trucks).

If you want to make bucks on the side, you can do that without a degree.

If you want a career. You need a degree.
>>
Hijacking OP's thread, I want to be a web designer. I have two bachelor's degree already in NOT computer science or anything related to science. So, if I teach myself well, am I gucci for that hire-hire shit?
>>
File: 1428803423823.png (211KB, 1024x350px) Image search: [Google]
1428803423823.png
211KB, 1024x350px
>>17493727
>I want to be a web designer.
What does that even involve nowadays? Do you want to create website layouts, mockups, and specifications or something and give it to devs to style?
>>
>>17493763
Creating website layouts and mockups in the job of a web designer, yes. It's a graphic artist that makes websites based on the client's needs.

However, I actually meant to write web *developer*, which is someone who takes aforementioned design and codes it in HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP and makes the actual site. In reality I do want to be able to do both so that I can freelance and be a "digital nomad" (inb4 meme) effectively cutting out any one I'd have to hire to do the design part.
>>
>>17493787

In short, yes, it's possible, but you will need to write a couple of sites to make up for lack of education in the field.

>>17493630

Like everyone said, getting your first job will be the problem. And after, you will still have trouble getting jobs at big companies unless you become well-known.

If you have the option to get a degree in comp sci, you probably should.
>>
>>17493787
Well, there are so many free online tutorials and guides on front end development that it's crazy. Learn a non-JavaScript programming language like Python or Ruby first because JavaScript is pretty fucking badly designed and you don't want to pick up bad habits.
>>
>>17493854

>Ruby

Not unless you are in Cali. Seriously, C# or Java. Ok C++ or Python, fine, but not fucking Ruby.
>>
>>17493630
you need a degree and skill, or experience and skill. Since experience = work experience, you have to either have connections or a degree, to even get into HR's pile, usually.
>>
>>17493630
"I don't have a degree or any work experience, but I studied programming languages by myself."
Do you understand how silly that would sound to any employer.
>>
>>17493854
JavaScript is where the money is though. Pick up Python you would learn JavaScript and hop into data science instead, you'll end up way happier with the results and career possibilities OP.
>>
>>17494060
JavaScript won't be used in a decade.
>>
>>17494065

What will, according to you?

ALL this front end shit is just going to disappear? Angular, Angular2, React, etc, will just go away?
>>
>>17494065
Maybe, they're developing Typescript and Ecma pretty fucking hard, either way, learn it now because it's simple, rake in some cash from learning a really simple language, grab Python because it is extremely powerful and extremely popular, and then hop into the data science field. Learning python will be such a breeze after you'd pick up JavaScript.
>>
>>17494083

ECMA is a standard Javascript is based on. Typescript "compiles" to Javascript.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.