[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is going to a psychiatrist or psychologist worth it? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (71KB, 499x525px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 499x525px
Is going to a psychiatrist or psychologist worth it?

I'm anti-social and depressed as fuck, and I'm tired of it.

I don't want to end up subscribing therapy sessions for the rest of my life.
>>
I take anti depressants. im not depressed anymore but im still shy or anti social or whatever you term it. Although anti depressants don't make you happy. they just take away the depression. I really want a medicine that makes me happy.
>>
>>17493538
>>17493554

Is your insurance going to cover your pretend friend?
>>
>>17493538
Go to a psychologist. A good one will tell you how he'll work with you and won't milk you for years. I think if you are open to change, and you seem to be, you will change your perspective in a few months.
Read into adlerian psychology.
>>
>>17493554
That's a big letdown. Does anyone else have the same experience? I'm really hoping that anti-depressants will help, but if that's not the case, then there's no real point in visiting a shrink.
>>
Antidepressants do not make you happy; they only make happiness possible. The rest is up to you.
>>
>>17493603
>>17493717

Opie these guys are entirely correct. I do not reccomend medication on the long term. It should just be used to get on your feet. It's like a bandaid or crutch. What I do reccomend, though it's extremely hard, is managing your anxiety/depression/fears/issues without meds.

Also on a side note, sertraline made my brain tingle which was really weird
>>
>>17493717
>>17493554
>Take away the depression

What does that even mean? You become numb? Cos that's not really that much better.
>>
Try to do some personal development.
>>
>>17493797
Correct. It's designed to kind of put chemicals into your brain to neutralize depression in a way, which is a chemical imbalance in the brain in the first place

Pick your poison :c
>>
File: 1451536774462.jpg (76KB, 689x568px) Image search: [Google]
1451536774462.jpg
76KB, 689x568px
>>17493538

Think of it like this.

If you don't go, nothing gets better. If you do go, there's a possibility things will get better.

You have nothing to lose by going. Even if you end up in therapy for the next few years which would you rather have? A once a week appointment that keeps your head straight or being depressed and anti-social 7 days a week?

Seems like a pretty easy answer to me, Opie.
>>
Therapy is designed to teach you a way to deal with problems on your own. That's the end goal.

If you admit to yourself you cannot deal with your problems presently, there's nothing wrong looking for help.

If you're just going to them to find an easy answer to your problems, or that they can tell you what to do, don't bother.
>>
>>17493554
Well there are plenty of drugs to make you happy, it's just that (cannabis conditionally aside) they all lead into self-destructive addiction if you're relying on them.
True happiness is something you have to work for. Think about what's missing in your life and what you hate about yourself and start thinking of ways to change that.
If it's not clear, an outside perspective can help tremendously.
In my case I just needed to see a therapist 3 or 4 times to gain the wisdom I needed to start getting over my crippling social anxiety.
>>17493717
Didn't realize this guy already said essentially the same thing.
>>
>>17493838
Agreeing totally with this guy, but the only thing you have to lose is money basically. So make sue your helper is covered by your health insurance
>>
>>17493833
>chemical imbalance

What's the line between chemical imbalance and being depressed for a good reason for a years?
>>
It depends. Some people respond well to therapy, others don't. The fact that you are seeking advice here leads me to believe you'll be more receptive, so yes it may be in your interest to visit one.

Just know that contrary to normie belief, therapy is not a magic solution.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.