[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I learn how to learn? So, skimming through a quick backstory,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: derp11.jpg (38KB, 462x493px) Image search: [Google]
derp11.jpg
38KB, 462x493px
How do I learn how to learn?

So, skimming through a quick backstory, I'm in my early 20's and was "homeschooled" from first grade until now, I guess. the issue with being "homeschooled" was that my patent never made sure I kept up with my work, as she was a single parent who worked all day every day, and just sort of trusted us to do what we needed to do. The issue now is, I'm in my 20's and still haven't finished highschool. It didn't dawn on me until 3 or so years ago how fucked I am that I never did an ounce of work, and I probably have a 3rd-4th grade education because of how hard I slacked off.

I'm not an idiot, and I don't have any disabilities. If I stayed in school, I'd probably be top of my class because I KNOW I'm smart, and can pick things up fast. (That's not bragging, that's regret at my missed potential.)

Anyway, I'm in the Penn foster program to get my deploma, but I still havent done any work. Partially because of a crippling fear of failure, and partially because I have 0 work ethic. I mean, I'm holding down a decent job with a family friend, but when it comes to studying, I can't do it. I can't open up a book and sit there reading for hours. I'm too used to constant stimulation.

So, I'm starting fron the bottom. How do I learn how to learn, when the rigidity of public schooling was never beaten into me?
>>
>>17493353
>I KNOW I'm smart
It's always the failures who say this
>>
>>17493356
Again, I'm not bragging because being an immature fucking idiot got me into this situation. My point was, I don't have any excuses for not doing well in my studies, because it's my own shortcomings and lifestyle choices that have been ruining me.

From the ages 13, to now, I have no one to blame but myself.
>>
File: dimplenice.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dimplenice.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
>>17493353
I dropped out of highschool to get my GED and missed a lot of common studying habits myself, so going straight into college was a huge culture shock for me.

one of the best things to do is develop a schedule; write down any due dates you have, when assignments are due, how much work you should get done a day, and having something consistent to look at should help ease any anxiety you have about the work you have to do.

normally I get anxious when I feel like I have a lot to do, but when you come at it realistically, that anxiety eases up.

also, learn how to properly study. if you have a chapter to read, but it's due in a few days, break the chapter down; read a few paragraphs a day, and then go back over and try to summarize the key points you remember. if there are certain things you don't recall in those few paragraphs, it probably means it's not important (if that makes sense).

learn how to focus on key ideas if you're reading text books, learn how to manage your time, and take some notes (you don't have to take LOTS of notes, but highlighting stuff will make your life a lot easier).

it may seem like a lot, but doing this you should be good. a majority of learning something is bidding your time in order to let the information sink in.

TL;DR: DO NOT READ FOR HOURS, split your reading up into a few paragraphs a day or a few paragraphs every so and so hours.

doing so makes it easier to absorb and doesn't stress you the fuck out.
>>
>>17493816
I appreciate the advice Anon! Do you know of any good scheduling programs or apps that might buzz to remind you to work? I feel like that would be handy for me.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.