[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comp Sci majors: How hard is this degree and is it worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1454374200953.jpg (152KB, 1033x798px) Image search: [Google]
1454374200953.jpg
152KB, 1033x798px
Comp Sci majors:

How hard is this degree and is it worth it? What kind of jobs can I get with this degree? What is it like to do that job?

I'm not that great at math and I'm terrible at understanding theory stuff like discrete math. I've taken some courses for this degree (still in 200 level courses). I enjoy the programming part, but not the theory part. Also I have to take 2 chem courses and 2 physics courses all with a lab. I also have to take 5 writing intensive courses.

It's very stressful and I have no social life at all. It's also taking me long since I sometimes fuck up in a class and I have to retake it, but I have to wait a year or more before my college offers the course again. I'm already in my 4th year of college and I'm probably going to be here for 3 more years if I go at this rate. I'm quitting my job so I can take more courses a semester.

Honestly I'm not even sure what kind of job I want. I've thought of webdev since I interned at a company that does commercials, websites, and other kinds of advertisement. I know I don't need a degree for that. I really am interested in programming, but getting this degree is stressing me out. Honestly I think I put too much weight on this degree, but I don't know what else to do.
>>
>>17488581
>I've thought of webdev since I interned at a company that does commercials, websites, and other kinds of advertisement.

Bro, you're way off point. You need a marketing degree if that's the job you want.

Source: I work for an ad agency that does all the shit you just mentioned. I've been learning how to build websites from our graphic designer who builds all the digital products we sell.
>>
Compsci is a lot of theory. Try a more practical route maybe?
>>
>>17488581
Holy shit are you going to RU?
>>
It took me a long time to get my degree in CS and I spent a good portion of it contemplating whether I was making the right decision or not. I really enjoyed the programming aspect, but had a hard time with the theory and math. I'm also convinced that CS is one of the most poorly taught degrees out there.

The reality is that CS is basically a degree in computer mathematics and that's what will set you apart from just some guy that can program. In terms of jobs, you have a lot of flexibility with this degree in my opinion. You could easily get a job developing front-ends for websites/apps/etc, but you'll also be able to enter more "research" oriented fields.

From my experience so far, it's worth it.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.